Wiki Posts
Search

Elevator etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH-Diamond VIP, Marriott-Platinum, Priority Club-Platinum, Delta-Gold
Elevator etiquette

More and more I encounter people standing in my way as I attempt to exit an elevator. It's mostly in hotels, but rarely in office buildings. I usually just hesitate, and they stand aside, but not always, and especially if they are children. What is wrong with these people? It should be common sense that those departing need to exit first before allowing entrance to new "passengers".

Any ideas on this matter?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Learn how to say "Excuse me, please" in the local language.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I'm a pretty big guy.. so if they don't move.. I just say excuse me.. and get out before they get in..
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pcolaboy
More and more I encounter people standing in my way as I attempt to exit an elevator. It's mostly in hotels, but rarely in office buildings. I usually just hesitate, and they stand aside, but not always, and especially if they are children. What is wrong with these people? It should be common sense that those departing need to exit first before allowing entrance to new "passengers".

Any ideas on this matter?
People do that here in Seattle on the buses and don't let people out before letting new passengers on. And before people snark that they could leave through the rear door Seattle has a pay as you leave for any buses leaving downtown and pay on entry for any buses heading into downtown.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
The few times I have run into this I just stand in the exit blocking the other party from getting on and not saying a word... kind of a jerk move, but I guess I always excuse myself when I forget that there may be people trying to get off and I'm not paying attention.

Another item I have noticed...

Allowing women on/off the elevator first... that's old school etiquette, but I practice it. I didn't know that was one of the rules till a co-worker set me straight a couple years ago.

Non-etiquette, but common sense... taking the stairs if you are on the 2nd floor. I always laugh to myself when I see someone who looks like they've been waiting 10 minutes get on at the 2nd floor headed to the 1st floor. Not someone with luggage in tow, just someone who couldn't figure out that it takes 30 seconds to use the stairs.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:25 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Run people over . Do it once and they won't stand in the way again . I occasionally have to do this in metros where people try to get on before letting everyone off. This ticks me off especially if the train just got to the last stop and is about to go back and has at least a few minutes at the terminus before heading back and you have people who need to get on first. If they don't have any courtesy I don't either.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:12 am

I hate this, it's not like they're gonna get to their faster if they keep people from getting off.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:22 am

This is a symptom of the sickness that has unfortunately infected society. People don't give a s**t about their fellow man anymore.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
Break wind, exit elevator, wish those you had to step around a good day.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:54 pm

A few simple rules for riding an elevator:

1. Don't fart. Seriously. I shouldn't even have to list this one.
2. Inside voices. You're in a 8'x5' enclosed box at best, you don't need to yell at the person standing next to you.
3. There's a reason why cell phones don't work well in elevators, and it's the same reason they don't work in planes - because whatever deity you may or may not believe in designed it that way as to not completely annoy people. Therefore, don't walk into an elevator yapping on the phone and then yell "HELLO? HELLO? CAN YOU HEAR ME? I'M IN AN ELEVATOR! I THINK I MIGHT DROP THE CALL! ARE YOU THERE? HELLO?"
4. Let people out before you get in. It's best to let the small, enclosed box empty out first and then go in, rather than shove twice as many people in the enclosed space.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:16 pm

i rarely see people not move out of the way to let people out and the people waiting to get on to let the people out.

i do have two elevator annoyances though.
1. the "no, you first" gesture between men. Neither get on as they try to out-kind each other and then the doors start closing forcing both men to dive into the elevator. I don't know why we have to be so chivalrous at this moment when there is a time sensitive moment of the door closing. each elevator is different.

2. the person who slides his arm in on closing doors. it happens frequently and is the most entitled, "i'm important, i can't wait for any of the other elevators that will be here in less than 30 seconds." no one ever says anything either. It's the jerkiest of jerk moves. Just wait. if you are so late that you can't spare 30 seconds, the tardiness is on you. and you should adjust accordingly.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by cocaine
Allowing women on/off the elevator first... that's old school etiquette, but I practice it. I didn't know that was one of the rules till a co-worker set me straight a couple years ago.
Real old old-school etiquette calls for the man to get on first, not the woman, but for the woman to exist first. Why? Because getting on an elevator was supposed to be potentially dangerous, and therefore, the man should take the risk first, or remain in the risky situation last.

The same rationale once applied to stairs. A man was to position himself so that if the woman fell, he would be able to catch her.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:37 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
The same rationale once applied to stairs. A man was to position himself so that if the woman fell, he would be able to catch her.
Are you sure this one isn't for "viewing purposes"
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Also, the man always enters the revolving door first, but never a standard door. If needed, he should comment, let me start this revolving door for you as he enters first.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trapezeus
2. the person who slides his arm in on closing doors. it happens frequently and is the most entitled, "i'm important, i can't wait for any of the other elevators that will be here in less than 30 seconds." no one ever says anything either. It's the jerkiest of jerk moves. Just wait. if you are so late that you can't spare 30 seconds, the tardiness is on you. and you should adjust accordingly.
Wow. You read a lot into what other people do. I slide my arm in on closing doors (and will continue to do so), because the elevator is there and I can make it. It is not inconsiderate of the people inside (who, if they were considerate, would have pressed the "open doors" button). What is jerky is thinking that, because the doors have begun to close, it is now your personal elevator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.