Search

Electric Train Power Usage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
Dozens?

The New York City subway R160's for example used on the J, F, M, Z, L, N, E and Q lines can hold between 230 and 250 depending on which order of cars they were. Metro North M8's, the new cars they are putting on the New Haven line seat either 110 or 101 people (two configurations) and another 30+ can be standing.
Really? That's surprising to me. In the last month since moving to the area, I've ridden the subway almost daily. I suppose it's harder to estimate how many people are on board than I'd thought.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
That's top capacity, which probably is only at rush hour.

Most of the city's subway cars seat between 40 and 60, but there can be another 100 to 200 people standing in them.

This page has links to all the different pages of the NYC rolling stock (from wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor..._rolling_stock

Those detail pages will show the capacity of each of the cars. Most are only showing seated, some list standing and seated.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I think the new non-IRT NYC subway cars have between 250 and 350 crushload capacity. 350 will never happen in NYC though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.