Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Putting all shades down so cabin is dark

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by gglave
I think Alaska Airlines foresaw this - They rent digiplayers to the people who want them, otherwise pax use their own AVOD devices.
Interesting. I also enjoyed flying on TG's old 747s - no seat-back entertainment of any kind, but 34" legroom. Nice.

Neil
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
So what would you suggest is a compromise ? I've got the window seat, the blind up and am looking out (reason doesn't matter). You want to watch the AVOD but the exterior light is making it difficult.

What do we do ?
You say:

"Hello my good man, I gather from your fiddling of the little television screen that you would like to watch a film. Judging from your feebleminded facial expression, may I suggest you read a book for a change. Once you are back in your trailer, you can fall back into the customary routine of watching reruns of the Simpsons. Would you care for some suggestions that I think you might enjoy?"
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You say:

"Hello my good man, I gather from your fiddling of the little television screen that you would like to watch a film. Judging from your feebleminded facial expression, may I suggest you read a book for a change. Once you are back in your trailer, you can fall back into the customary routine of watching reruns of the Simpsons. Would you care for some suggestions that I think you might enjoy?"
Old Jul 9, 2011, 1:52 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pacer142
They were talking about that but I don't know if they actually did it - I have a feeling they didn't because shades are standard and they'd have to pay more not to have them, or something.

Neil
They will accept credit cards to open them in 10 minute increments.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I know this is a delicate subject but I'm firmly in the 'blinds down' camp.
HA, don’t be so angry…. Anyway, I agree its right to “blinds down”. Some people prefer shades up, because they wanna see the view outside or something like that. I don’t object if you say the attendants give such instruction to save money or to avoid work, but it’s for your safety. I always obey them on any flight I take, and will do so in future, because I fall asleep as soon as I board on the plan, not failed.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 9:30 pm

One of my first threads on FT"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ul-flight.html
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:08 pm

I am in the shades down camp as well, however seeing some of the pictures people have taken from planes (in other parts of the forum) I can see why some people would want them up!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I am firmly in the "shades up" camp. I book or take window seats whenever possible and not only do I look out the window, I often take pictures.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
I book or take window seats whenever possible and not only do I look out the window, I often take pictures.
Ditto - Where else but from the windows can you see Niagara falls from altitude?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoff_ana-maria/5884774032

There are literally billions of people who will never get the chance to stare down at our planet from 35,000 feet. Every chance I get I grab it...
Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:41 pm

You say:

I'm pretty sure the only response you'll get to that is, "Huh?"
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Ditto - Where else but from the windows can you see Niagara falls from altitude?

There are literally billions of people who will never get the chance to stare down at our planet from 35,000 feet. Every chance I get I grab it...
no one is saying window shades can't be up at all - just when a whole cabin is trying to watch their ptvs but can't, because of the glare, and some dude has their widow shade open and it's cloudy so they can't see anyways...

the only flight where i don't recall most premium passengers lowering their shades was on Concorde!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
"The windows are all networked together so flight attendants also will have a new level of control. From a computer panel, the crew can control an individual window, a section or all of the windows."

http://www.boeing.com/Features/2010/..._06_01_10.html
I can't wait to see this new flight crew controlled network shading device being implemented on new aircraft. This will make both the "shades-up" group and the "shades-down" group go beserk due to removal of individual passenger control.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:01 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
You say:

And he responds:
"Thanks but I'm just taking a little break from reading 'A la recherche du temps perdu' in the original French. The fifth volume tends to bog down a little. I appreciate you offering to lend me your Jackie Collins but she's clearly more to your taste than to mine"
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
HOU to CUN today and both window shades down.. during the day..

and basically the sun was so hot it was causing high temperatures..
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:06 am

I support having shades down, although I personally do like looking outside and down over various countries/ continents the airplane passes over. But the fact of the matter is, the light will prevent people from sleeping, make it difficult for them to use their IFE and it can be annoying when rays of sunlight shines in. You can hit the personal light when its dark, but you can't get a "personal shade" when its bright and you can't see your TV screen. The flights purpose is transportation, and to get pax to their destination comfortably; it's not a scenic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.