Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to handle this...woman in my seat!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnhere
I'm flying JFK-MIA and I end up in coach...no upgrades. But the check in clerk did manage to get me an aisle seat. When I board I get to my seat and there is a woman, middle class, dressed casual, neat about herself... and she is in my seat.

I point out that I have that particular seat. She replies "they put me in the middle and I can't sit there, I need the aisle".

I continue to pester her and she just ignores me.

I then ask her to get up so I can take her middle seat and she refuses. "I'm not moving".

So I'm stuck squished in the middle seat for 3+ hrs.

I didn't want to cause a scene. Has this ever happened to anyone and what should be done about it?
It has happened to me. It was readily resolved by the FA. I never indulge this kind of behavior.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
Originally Posted by wharvey
To Flight Attendant "Can you assist me? I thought this was my seat but perhaps I was upgraded to first class and the agent gave me the wrong boarding pass."

I did that once when someone did not want to move... and guess what, I got first class. That other passenger was so peeved... they quickly said "Oh wait, I will take that seat." The flight attendant politely said "Oh, I would not want you to have to get up and move, you are apparently too comfortable to move when you knew you had the wrong seat... just stay there...". It was priceless.
Brilliant, and a good outcome for you!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
I would be concerned that the FA might take the side of the woman squatter passenger. Perhaps the better way would be to find another good seat, sit there, and when the rightful seat owner comes to get the FA to sort it out. If the squatter woman can keep your seat, you can keep the other person's seat.

Better yet, how about squatting in first class? However, that might create a scene and cause the FA to say you are wrong but not the woman squatter.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:03 am

To Flight Attendant "Can you assist me? I thought this was my seat but perhaps I was upgraded to first class and the agent gave me the wrong boarding pass."

I did that once when someone did not want to move... and guess what, I got first class. That other passenger was so peeved... they quickly said "Oh wait, I will take that seat." The flight attendant politely said "Oh, I would not want you to have to get up and move, you are apparently too comfortable to move when you knew you had the wrong seat... just stay there...". It was priceless.
I like this!

I have had some success with not talking at all, just standing there looking at my boarding pass and at the seat. And waiting patiently. Eventually person moved or FA comes by to see why I haven't sat down and person taking up my seat moved before getting booted. Part of my thinking is that they may actually have the seat as well, so let them indicate it is their seat or realize I'm not moving.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:05 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
It's not happened to me but it does happen (if you scroll/search a bit you'll find several threads on the subject).

You should have (quietly) called a Flight Attendant. They would have (quietly) sorted it out.
Agreed ^

Originally Posted by moeve
Asking the FA to intervene isn't making a scene if you do it on the quite.
Agreed (redux) ^ and if any "scene" is goign to be made, it will be made by the woman in your seat when she is told to move (and afaic, let her make a scene as [sadly] in this day and age, many flight crews do not take kindly to those making "scenes")
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA A380
I would be concerned that the FA might take the side of the woman squatter passenger. Perhaps the better way would be to find another good seat, sit there, and when the rightful seat owner comes to get the FA to sort it out. If the squatter woman can keep your seat, you can keep the other person's seat.
I strenuously disagree. First, if the FA refuses to help, call the purser or Senior. If the purser or Senior refuses to help, ask for the pilot. If the pilot refuses to help, simply stand in the aisle and refuse to move until a ground customer service supervisor is called. It is never acceptable to squat in someone else's seat.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by TWA A380
Better yet, how about squatting in first class? However, that might create a scene and cause the FA to say you are wrong but not the woman squatter.
The OP mentioned upgrade not clearing, that would imply no FC seats open. Very few of the flights I am on have any open.

I've had squatters who were assigned the middle and hoping for my aisle seat, but luckily never one obstinate enough to need to get an FA involved. The last one was a woman who pouted "I was hoping I could have the aisle seat". I told her I did more than "hope" for an aisle, I planned far enough ahead to be assigned one.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Remember, folks, there could be a genuine mistake with the exact same seat printed on two passengers' boarding passes. The other person could be legitimately sitting in their BP assigned seat. And, there's always the possibility (shudder) that YOU (shudder) read your own BP incorrectly.

After a brief "I believe that is my seat" "No it ain't" interchange, just call a FA.

You could have the added bonus of the FA requesting the squatter move to a different part of the plane, thus not making you sit next to some unpleasant person.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Remember, folks, there could be a genuine mistake with the exact same seat printed on two passengers' boarding passes. The other person could be legitimately sitting in their BP assigned seat. And, there's always the possibility (shudder) that YOU (shudder) read your own BP incorrectly.
While all of that is possible that was not the case at all here. The woman was clearly in the wrong and knew it

I point out that I have that particular seat. She replies "they put me in the middle and I can't sit there, I need the aisle" ...

I then ask her to get up so I can take her middle seat and she refuses. "I'm not moving".
If she was a middle eastern looking male they would have had the TSA and police drag her off the plane for questioning.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djk7
The last one was a woman who pouted "I was hoping I could have the aisle seat". I told her I did more than "hope" for an aisle, I planned far enough ahead to be assigned one.
I love it! ^
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
While all of that is possible that was not the case at all here. The woman was clearly in the wrong and knew it

If she was a middle eastern looking male they would have had the TSA and police drag her off the plane for questioning.
Well of course -- everyone knows that Flying While Muslim is a prosecutable offense. The nerve of those Muslims -- actually practicing a Different Religion in the United States.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by PTravel
I strenuously disagree. First, if the FA refuses to help, call the purser or Senior. If the purser or Senior refuses to help, ask for the pilot. If the pilot refuses to help, simply stand in the aisle and refuse to move until a ground customer service supervisor is called. It is never acceptable to squat in someone else's seat.
Exactly! ^
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
I'm flying JFK-MIA and I end up in coach...no upgrades. But the check in clerk did manage to get me an aisle seat. When I board I get to my seat and there is a woman, middle class, dressed casual, neat about herself... and she is in my seat.

I point out that I have that particular seat. She replies "they put me in the middle and I can't sit there, I need the aisle".

I continue to pester her and she just ignores me.

So I'm stuck squished in the middle seat for 3+ hrs.

I didn't want to cause a scene. Has this ever happened to anyone and what should be done about it?
While other FTers have mentioned excellent ways of not allowing seat poachers to take your seats, and others mentioned you need to be more pro-active instead of backing down, another way to ensure she's not going to do that again is to actually go back and forth to the lavatory as much as you can just to annoy her. If she later comments on that, just say "You're in my seat, and my bladder happens to be the size of a grape, your mistake."
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by General_Flyer
While other FTers have mentioned excellent ways of not allowing seat poachers to take your seats, and others mentioned you need to be more pro-active instead of backing down, another way to ensure she's not going to do that again is to actually go back and forth to the lavatory as much as you can just to annoy her. If she later comments on that, just say "You're in my seat, and my bladder happens to be the size of a grape, your mistake."
Or else you could handle it like an adult. I mean, seriously, there are simple mechanisms for handling this problem without resorting to, "neener, neener, neener!"
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Seeing that I am flying a Transcon tomorrow I am going to practice that line all evening!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.