Reload this Page >

Girlfriend in Switzerland had handbag stolen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Girlfriend in Switzerland had handbag stolen

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by aster
For starters Switzerland isn't in the EU.

And this sort of thing can happen anywhere. Plus isn't it laptops that disappear in the US when people's hand luggage goes though x-ray screening, some sort of scam of stalling the line and then *bam*, no more laptop on the other side once you step through the metal detector?
Thanks for the clear-up! Switzerland is a special case from what I hear..

Point well taken.. Well, I suppose does happen everywhere..
Old Jun 19, 2011, 1:51 am

Switzerland usually is very safe, but unfortunately our 3* hotels, errr I mean prisons, and generally a very lax law has made it incredibly attractive for criminals in the bigger cities. Still, compared with most parts of the world, very safe, but it used to be better. If we could only get our standards up to Singapore levels, it would be splendid, but that's probably only going to work in a semi-democracy.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by General_Flyer
It seems that these accidents are commonplace in the EU?

My mom had lost 2 of her handbags stolen in a hotel in Italy some years ago, is it really that scary?

I'm quite astounded by this - I can only hope it's ironic.

To OP - Moneygram or Western Union might be able to help you get cash to her if needed, although may be difficult without ID
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by General_Flyer
My mom had lost 2 of her handbags stolen in a hotel in Italy some years ago, is it really that scary?
Well, Italy is sort of "crime central" when you think of petty theft or even cars going missing.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Step 1- confirm that this really happened. Lots of people have received emails purportedly from people they know describing this exact scenario, but it was just an email scam.
Absolutely.

Make sure you talk to her, not just email. If that's somehow truly impossible, ask her something only she would know the answer to.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

Well, it was what it was.. Inside a hotel room, presumably by the cleaning lady but even the hotel management turned a blind eye..

Originally Posted by aster
Well, Italy is sort of "crime central" when you think of petty theft or even cars going missing.
That's the perception I received from my mom's incident.. Hence everywhere I go at the minimum my bags are always locked.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL,EK
In the mid 90s, my dad had a small bag stolen from the Geneva train station... while it was sitting on the ledge directly in front of the ticket window, while he was buying a ticket. Geneva is generally quite safe, but the train station is a place to really be on guard.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who provided helpful advice. My girlfriend emailed me again and said that she will be going to Bern to the Embassy to get a temporary passport in order to return home as scheduled. She is continuing her itinerary. Her kids will be paying for the rest of the trip with their credit cards. I will be speaking with her tomorrow.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by wdld27
Thanks to everyone who provided helpful advice. My girlfriend emailed me again and said that she will be going to Bern to the Embassy to get a temporary passport in order to return home as scheduled. She is continuing her itinerary. Her kids will be paying for the rest of the trip with their credit cards. I will be speaking with her tomorrow.
Kids are adults then, makes it not so bad. Hope she enjoys the rest of her trip, and can get the cards replaced quickly
Old Jun 19, 2011, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Scots_Al

I don't believe that it is. After years of reading leisure travel websites it seems that some travellers are rather paranoid about the 'high rate' of pickpockets and theft in Europe. We were just discussing this at work this week and how we had never been pickpocketed and couldn't really recall any stories of anyone else having that experience.

I did have to chuckle this week as I saw a sign in the walkway at a German airport warning in English for travellers to be aware of 'confidence tricksters'.

The reality is that scams and theft are not unique to one country, but rather travel causes many people to become distracted or not practice their usual common sense which they would use at home.

I agree to confirm that it was in fact the friend making contact; there have been many threads here over the years of email scams claiming to be the 'friend' without money/passport etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.