Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

OKC Fri Noon -- no flights in/out due to security breach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OKC Fri Noon -- no flights in/out due to security breach?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Morons. The whole multilayer security apparatus. This would be the stupidest thing I ever heard of except this same kind of idiocy keeps repeating over and over again.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Here's an interesting story from the Chicago Sun Times about the incident:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/...y-airport.html

Apparently, it was a box being shipped and started playing music.... so the TSA, in "an abundance of caution," decided the airport needed to be shutdown for several hours and the box blown up.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
From MSNBC:

The box wasn't picked up because its owner missed the flight, FBI spokesman Clay Simmonds said. Simmonds said the man, who arrived on a later flight, was apologetic. No arrests were expected.

"I think next time he'll probably get to the airport a little earlier," Simmonds said.

It was unclear what was in the box, but it included some kind of an electronic device with an external speaker, Simmonds said.

As a precaution, an Oklahoma City Police Department bomb squad blasted the box with a high-powered water cannon "to render it safe, and make it safe for investigators to check and see what's in it," Sgt. Gary Knight said.
Lets blow it up anyways, it will be fun.

Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:46 pm

The box was harmless, the owner just missed a flight and "No arrests were expected". The fact that someone thought that last part had to be specified is somewhat troubling.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
The suspicious package is now identified as a speaker attached to an electronic device.... in other words, a radio or music box, or something.

What a bunch of morons we have running security. The "all in" cost inflicted on airlines, passengers, taxpayers, etc. for this stupid over-reaction have to easily run into the millions of dollars.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:02 pm

And the monumental inconvenience:

Peersteve, one out of thousands of flyers affected, was going to drive a rental car from DAL to OKC. I drive it regularly, but it's no fun.

OKC Will Rogers Airport may be back to normal, but even with a disruption at this small airport, the repercussions are likely still reverberating throughout the country.

Last edited by woodyrr; Jun 3, 2011 at 8:35 pm Reason: Realized that my post didn't reflect reality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.