Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving Luggage at your hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Leaving Luggage at your hotel

I am flying YYZ-IST-KHI and IST-MUC-IST on a separate ticket. I will have at least 40K of baggage per person (there are five of us - none of the excess is mine!) and the allowance for IST-MUC-IST is 20K. We don't need most of the stuff till KHI - we don't need to take it to MUC. I have come up with several options to deal with it.

1. Pay the excess and lug it to/from MUC

I haven't booked IST-MUC-IST yet but both LH and TK seem to charge about 8 EUR / kg. That's 800 EUR for all of our stuff each way.

2. Storage at IST.

I believe there is a baggage storage place at IST airport which is about US 15 per day per bag. We will be leaving about 5 bags and will be in MUC for 7 days which comes up to 525 USD.

3. Leave it at the hotel in Istanbul.

This is the most curious option. I will be gone for 7 days which is a long time but I was wondering if it is acceptable to ask hotels to store your luggage. We will have stayed there for 5 or 6 nights. If it makes it more likely for them to accept it, I'll happily book another night on my way back. At a cost of US $150 approx that certainly seems like the cheapest option.

It would look something like this:

5 nights at hotel in IST

leave for Munich for 7 days - storing bags at the hotel

back for one night in IST

fly on to Karachi

Is this possible / likely? I have yet to pick a hotel in IST but if this is a possibility I will start emailing and phoning hotels to see if they will do it.

Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I am flying YYZ-IST-KHI and IST-MUC-IST on a separate ticket. I will have at least 40K of baggage per person (there are five of us - none of the excess is mine!) and the allowance for IST-MUC-IST is 20K. We don't need most of the stuff till KHI - we don't need to take it to MUC. I have come up with several options to deal with it.

1. Pay the excess and lug it to/from MUC

I haven't booked IST-MUC-IST yet but both LH and TK seem to charge about 8 EUR / kg. That's 800 EUR for all of our stuff each way.

2. Storage at IST.

I believe there is a baggage storage place at IST airport which is about US 15 per day per bag. We will be leaving about 5 bags and will be in MUC for 7 days which comes up to 525 USD.

This is the most curious option. I will be gone for 7 days which is a long time but I was wondering if it is acceptable to ask hotels to store your luggage. We will have stayed there for 5 or 6 nights. If it makes it more likely for them to accept it, I'll happily book another night on my way back. At a cost of US $150 approx that certainly seems like the cheapest option.

It would look something like this:

5 nights at hotel in IST

leave for Munich for 7 days - storing bags at the hotel

back for one night in IST

fly on to Karachi

Is this possible / likely? I have yet to pick a hotel in IST but if this is a possibility I will start emailing and phoning hotels to see if they will do it.

Thanks!
Option 4: Insist that everyone who wants to take 40 Kg of luggage makes their own arrangements and pays any excess fees out of their own pocket.

No one needs that much luggage, even if they are travelling for a long time.

We will be travelling for 16 weeks from the end of this month. We will only be taking 20 Kg each.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
That is an attractive option, even if they charge for the luggage storage. I have left luggage at hotels in the past. I have never had a problem.

Why not call them and ask if they would be willing to do that?

A lot would depend on the price of the hotel and the value of the stuff you are leaving. It it was a big multi-national chain and you are just leaving a bunch of laundry, great.

I don't think I'd leave expensive computer equipment in a low-cost hotel.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Option 3 should not be a problem at any big hotel.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I once stayed at the Hilton in Cardiff for a 7 month stint - doing 3 weeks there, one week home, 3 weeks back, etc. I always left most of my luggage there for the week that I was home. Of course, I was staying there a lot, but they had no issues. So long as you book at least one night on the return, shouldn't be an issue for any larger hotel
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by celle
Option 4: Insist that everyone who wants to take 40 Kg of luggage makes their own arrangements and pays any excess fees out of their own pocket.

No one needs that much luggage, even if they are travelling for a long time.

We will be travelling for 16 weeks from the end of this month. We will only be taking 20 Kg each.
It's my family. I can't really say that to my parents when they are paying for my trip.

They do not need the luggage, I agree. But they want to take it and are willing to pay any excess charges. I am not complaining and saying that we don't want to pay. I merely want to do it at the lowest cost possible.

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
That is an attractive option, even if they charge for the luggage storage. I have left luggage at hotels in the past. I have never had a problem.

A lot would depend on the price of the hotel and the value of the stuff you are leaving. It it was a big multi-national chain and you are just leaving a bunch of laundry, great.

Thanks! Hotel will probably be mid 4* - 5* range. I am currently looking at the W Istanbul along with a handful of others. I will call once we have decided on one for sure.

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 2, 2018 at 12:20 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Lufthansa Silver, BA Amex, Starwood Platinum
I would go for option 3
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:35 pm

I agree with previous posters in having your hotel store it while you are away. However, contact them in advance to be sure they are willing to do so. We always have our hotel (either Le Meurice or the San Regis) in Paris store our luggage when we go on barge trips in France as there is little storage on the barge itself and travelling via TGV to the barge, it's nice to be travelling lighter. We do, however, always return to the hotel in Paris for one night before heading home. It should go without saying not to have anything of much of value in the stored luggage.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
I, too, have left luggage with hotels numerous times, and it's never been a problem. Probably goes without saying, but definitely tip both drop off and return in that case. (And even if the hotel's official policy is not to allow it, bellmen are true entrepreneurs. A nice tip will usually overcome any objections.)
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

Originally Posted by 1k650
Option 3 should not be a problem at any big hotel.
I agree,

Many hotels if you're in their loyalty program will hold luggage, at a low cost or free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.