Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

claims on lost baggage- with the airline or insurance company?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:54 am
Original Poster

hi guys

ive recently encountered with lost baggage items for my flight.

the airline compensated a small amount of total loss to me.

and the insurance company told me if the airline already compensated me, they will not have the responsibility to compensate me further. is this true?

then what is the point of buying travel insurance?

anybody with such experience before?

pls advise

thanks
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
read the policy.....document the cost, if you haven't & unless the policy states what they told you, have at them for the difference....you could consider returning the pittance to the a/l & re submit to the ins co...good luck...

these are ideas, not proven courses of action...

edit to add....post the a/l & ins co....someone may have dealt w/ them....
Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by samcheong
hi guys

ive recently encountered with lost baggage items for my flight.

the airline compensated a small amount of total loss to me.

and the insurance company told me if the airline already compensated me, they will not have the responsibility to compensate me further. is this true?

then what is the point of buying travel insurance?

anybody with such experience before?

pls advise

thanks
You should carefully read the policy document (not declarations, but the long & boring contract). No policy allows double collections (against public policy in all states in USA). Some allow for collection above what carrier paid if there is excess value (you lost $1,000 pen and airline gave you $100) and others provide no recovery if you recovered one penny from the other. All depends what the policy says.

As to whether it's worth it, all depends what you paid and what you travel with. Only you can make that determination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.