layover in MIA or ATL which is better

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

layover in MIA or ATL which is better

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK (Gold), SQ (PPS), QF (Platinum)
Question layover in MIA or ATL which is better

This is my first post to FF, I have been reading the forum with interest over the past few months and have been able to pick up many tips along way, so thanks everyone. although I travel a lot with around 10 - 12 long haul flights from Australia each year I am a minnow compared to many. I will be traveling to PUJ in the Dominican Rep in November from BNE and the two most convenient routes are through MIA with AA or ATL with Delta but both will mean a layover on at least one direction. Which is the recommended city for 12-18 hours and where would be the best place to stay near at at the airport?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
I haven't been in/out of Miami in ages, but I can tell you that Atlanta is pretty good and easy for long lay-overs. I've stayed at the Airport Hilton several times and it is nice. They have a shuttle which runs regularly from right outside of baggage claim. The other nice thing is if you have 18 hours and want to do some touring, Marta leaves from the airport and takes you right downtown to some decent restaurants as well as places like World of Coke, CNN Center, Olympic Park etc.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Smile

thanks I had not even thought about the touristy things, good idea.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:08 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Go to Atlanta, I have never been there but arriving at MIA with AA and clearing immigration is about as much fun as ripping your own kidneys out and feeding them to an angry cat
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:22 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you could also ron at dfw or sju, but i think mia would be better.....

is there a non stop from atl?

i thought there was a nonstop from bne to dfw a couple of days a week, but didn't see it....just a trivia ?....

good luck...
Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

there is a daily nonstop between ATL and PUJ but I am not sure about DFW and you are correct that a new QF service between Oz and DFW has jsut commenced
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Here's a vote for MIA..

a long enough layover means a visit around MIA.. probably more exciting than ATL..
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:58 pm

It depends on when those 12-18 hours will be.

If it's all during the day, 8am to 10pm kind of thing, then I'd say Miami. Better city for a one day trip than Atlanta.

If it's something like 10pm to 12pm, I'd say Atlanta since you're not going to see much of the city (unless you plan on wandering the streets at 4am) and as far as the airport itself and surrounding hotels, Atlanta is much better than Miami.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.