Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you always tell co-workers where you go on leisure trips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you always tell co-workers where you go on leisure trips?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
Some interesting comments here. My thinking has always been I don't keep secrets from people and I don't lie. Makes life a lot easier that way. This is true whether with family, friends or business relationships. If I share info that someone doesn't like, so be it. Their problem, not mine.

I work for myself so I don't have co-workers to share info with. My "co-workers" are my clients. They know how much I bill an hour so they know I can afford to go nice places.

As far as not telling where I go for fear that someone will call me in the middle of a vacation...I don't see how the destination is a factor. If I go to a 5 star hotel in Fiji or a Motel 6 in Daytona Beach, if someone wants to interrupt my vacation they will do so either way. They'll call my cell phone or email me which doesn't change based on my destination.
Not telling people all of your personal business is not "lying or keeping secrets." Some information is not to be shared. Imagine a client of yours who upon hearing about your "exotic" vacation, severely scaled back the amount of hours he purchased from you. In the future, would you be so quick to tell clients about your upcoming plans?

I guess you could say "I don't care about that one client." But what if more than one behaved that way? It most likely doesn't make sense for you to "fire all your clients" that behave unreasonably in some situations. You have to adapt, to a certain extent.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by pittpanther
Not telling people all of your personal business is not "lying or keeping secrets." Some information is not to be shared. Imagine a client of yours who upon hearing about your "exotic" vacation, severely scaled back the amount of hours he purchased from you. In the future, would you be so quick to tell clients about your upcoming plans?

I guess you could say "I don't care about that one client." But what if more than one behaved that way? It most likely doesn't make sense for you to "fire all your clients" that behave unreasonably in some situations. You have to adapt, to a certain extent.
I was referring more to the comments that when asked where they're going said I don't know or gave a vague, non-descript answer.

My point was that any client who is so irrational as to fire me because I went on a nice vacation is probably not a client worth having. Most people are rational. Most people couldn't care less where I go on vacation. They care what I do when I'm working for them not what I do in my spare time. If someone fires me for going to Hawaii chances are they'd fire me for some other stupid reason as well, like my shirt was the wrong shade of blue or something. And someone so irrational is more trouble than they're worth to work for, vacation plans or no vacation plans.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
I agree it's very difficult to explain the fruits of loyalty programs to people who don't understand them. I have family members I've stopped discussing this stuff with. When I fly myself or my family first class they either think I stole it, or I'm rich and I should be buying them F tickets too. So now they don't find out what I'm doing.
Funny.. same thing is happening to me..

Today, I told my brother about Amex Platinum Aeroplan Plus card.. and told him if you sign up, you can redeem 3 shorthauls with the 50K bonus, get one complimentary short haul.. charge 5 nights Fairmont and become a Platinum member.

He didn't want to do it because the annual fee is $499.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
With such talents, surely you should ditch that silly midwestern company and aspire to higher office. Say what are you doing between 2013 and 2017? The country can't afford to waste your 4 language podcast listening talents any longer!!
Sorry, but I've put in my name as a candidate to head the IMF so I'm likely to be busy then.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by pittpanther

You need new clients. Anyone who makes business decisions on such superficial information doesn't have much character or integrity. That's just petty.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Funny.. same thing is happening to me..

Today, I told my brother about Amex Platinum Aeroplan Plus card.. and told him if you sign up, you can redeem 3 shorthauls with the 50K bonus, get one complimentary short haul.. charge 5 nights Fairmont and become a Platinum member.

He didn't want to do it because the annual fee is $499.
I obviously know nothing about your brother and his travel habits/interests, but I can see where a lot of people would be turned off by a $499 annual fee if they don't see the value proposition involved. If someone doesn't travel or isn't interested in travel, I'll bet they can think of a lot of other good uses (to him/her) for $500. It's easy for those of us on FT to get jaded to this fact.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was referring more to the comments that when asked where they're going said I don't know or gave a vague, non-descript answer.

My point was that any client who is so irrational as to fire me because I went on a nice vacation is probably not a client worth having. Most people are rational. Most people couldn't care less where I go on vacation. They care what I do when I'm working for them not what I do in my spare time. If someone fires me for going to Hawaii chances are they'd fire me for some other stupid reason as well, like my shirt was the wrong shade of blue or something. And someone so irrational is more trouble than they're worth to work for, vacation plans or no vacation plans.
Exactly.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dchristiva
You need new clients.
Yes, clients can be nuts, but the cost of replacing them often exceeds the cost of putting up with them.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, clients can be nuts, but the cost of replacing them often exceeds the cost of putting up with them.
Nope. I've run a successful business based on honor and integrity - mine and my clients'. It's never too expensive to let a petty client go. If I'm worried that they are going to cut back on using my services because they don't like when or where I go on vacation, what else are they apt to threaten or do?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Nope.
What's true for you may not be equally true for everyone.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:03 pm

I'm glad i don't work where some of you work. I never think twice about telling anyone at work where I am going on vacation. I guess if people are scared to share vacation plans for fear of some sort of negative job impact they must also worry about what they wear to work. Can't wear anything too nice or they might think you are rich but can't wear anything to cheap or they might think you don't fit in with the company. Can't have a nice watch for the same reason or eat an expensive lunch. If you drive to work can't be seen in too nice of a car. Just seems crazy to have to worry about all that.

I hope the people who do work in places like that get paid very well because a company like that doesn't seem like a nice place to work.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's true for you may not be equally true for everyone.
We shouldn't all act with honor and integrity? You're willing to "sell" yours?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
My co-workers are surprised when I am NOT going somewhere... Living on this side of the Pond makes going to new places easy. For accountability purposes they do have contact info for me just in case.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Lufthansa Silver, BA Amex, Starwood Platinum
No, Want to escape co-workers when on holiday!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I obviously know nothing about your brother and his travel habits/interests, but I can see where a lot of people would be turned off by a $499 annual fee if they don't see the value proposition involved. If someone doesn't travel or isn't interested in travel, I'll bet they can think of a lot of other good uses (to him/her) for $500. It's easy for those of us on FT to get jaded to this fact.
Funny.. friends and family are in awe of some of the stuff I do.. go on these extravagant holidays, 3 weeks at a time.. They think I'm wasting my money..

But in reality.. I'm flying on points.. getting the low cost on vehicle rentals.. and I'm able to get luxurious accomodations wherever we go..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.