FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you always tell co-workers where you go on leisure trips?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:04 pm
pittpanther

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
Some interesting comments here. My thinking has always been I don't keep secrets from people and I don't lie. Makes life a lot easier that way. This is true whether with family, friends or business relationships. If I share info that someone doesn't like, so be it. Their problem, not mine.

I work for myself so I don't have co-workers to share info with. My "co-workers" are my clients. They know how much I bill an hour so they know I can afford to go nice places.

As far as not telling where I go for fear that someone will call me in the middle of a vacation...I don't see how the destination is a factor. If I go to a 5 star hotel in Fiji or a Motel 6 in Daytona Beach, if someone wants to interrupt my vacation they will do so either way. They'll call my cell phone or email me which doesn't change based on my destination.
Not telling people all of your personal business is not "lying or keeping secrets." Some information is not to be shared. Imagine a client of yours who upon hearing about your "exotic" vacation, severely scaled back the amount of hours he purchased from you. In the future, would you be so quick to tell clients about your upcoming plans?

I guess you could say "I don't care about that one client." But what if more than one behaved that way? It most likely doesn't make sense for you to "fire all your clients" that behave unreasonably in some situations. You have to adapt, to a certain extent.