Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about failing to complete all legs of a flight

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Question about failing to complete all legs of a flight

My mother and I are traveling to Sweden this summer. She lives near Minneapolis and I live in Chicago. I purchased a round trip ticket for her to fly to Chicago so that we could fly together to Sweden. On our return flight from Sweden, we leave from Amsterdam and stop in Minneapolis before taking the last leg into Chicago. Is there any reason that she could not skip the last leg to Chicago and simply go home after clearing customs in Minneapolis?
Old May 26, 2011, 10:24 am

No reason at all - just get off the plane, collect luggage and don't get on the next plane. You have to get off& collect luggage anyhow due to US immigration rules.

Airlines will cancel subsequent legs if you are a no-show - but as they'll be missing only the last leg it's not a problem
Old May 26, 2011, 10:59 am

When you land at MSP you will go through customs, then arrive at the baggage carousel.
You then take your bag past one more customs desk.

After that, you are directed to a room to

1: recheck your bag to a connecting flight by dropping it on the conveyor belt

2: go through another security checkpoint to get into the main terminal

3: do neither and exit to your right with your bags
Old May 26, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I wouldn't make it a habit. If you do it every now and then, chances are you'll be just fine, but if you do it even a few times a year, enough to form a pattern, you may have some airline's Revenue Protection Unit coming after you. Technically this is "hidden city ticketing" or booking a ticket from A to B, which is a cheaper market, but consuming the more expensive market product of A to C. To normal people, you'd be actually doing the airline a favor by not consuming fuel or services on that last segment, but revenue management folks (while probably very nice people outside of work) are not "normal".

Check out the various airline forums for threads related to revenue protection or revenue management, particularly the AA forum which has some pretty eye-opening examples of revenue protection in action.

So I guess my advice would be, fine for a one-of, but I'd not do it more than once on the same carrier within a few months (or even a year), especially not on the same routing.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:33 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
no prob other than losing the mi's...
Old May 26, 2011, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Welcome to FT!

From what other FTers are saying that I gather.. you could miss the last leg.. but don't make it habit..

Best not to have checked baggage.. good to have only carry-ons if you plan to do this..
Old May 27, 2011, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Welcome to FT!

From what other FTers are saying that I gather.. you could miss the last leg.. but don't make it habit..

Best not to have checked baggage.. good to have only carry-ons if you plan to do this..
The bolded part certainly applies in general but one exception is a non-pre-cleared flight to the U.S. where someone intends to make the U.S. port of entry the final destination. It is no problem in that case because all passengers must pick up their checked baggage and clear Customs. If the flight is precleared, then that's a different story because there is no Customs inspection and no collecting baggage upon arrival in the U.S.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Dawnalg
My mother and I are traveling to Sweden this summer. She lives near Minneapolis and I live in Chicago. I purchased a round trip ticket for her to fly to Chicago so that we could fly together to Sweden. On our return flight from Sweden, we leave from Amsterdam and stop in Minneapolis before taking the last leg into Chicago. Is there any reason that she could not skip the last leg to Chicago and simply go home after clearing customs in Minneapolis?
Your only serious risk, so long as you do not do this again, is that you are travelling AMS-ORD. If there is a cancellation / delay, carrier will reroute you to ORD, not necessarily through MSP and you have no beef. Downside risk here is that the two of you land in ORD and you've missed ORD-MSP and need to buy a new ticket (although likelihood is that you will be acommodated).
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mark_mnl
The bolded part certainly applies in general but one exception is a non-pre-cleared flight to the U.S. where someone intends to make the U.S. port of entry the final destination. It is no problem in that case because all passengers must pick up their checked baggage and clear Customs. If the flight is precleared, then that's a different story because there is no Customs inspection and no collecting baggage upon arrival in the U.S.
Thanks for the clarification..

Good to see we've got some loopholes here and there..

One could pre-plan to disembark on segments before leaving for other countries depending on circumstance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.