Wiki Posts
Search

F Pax complaining about the height of the seat in F

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
F Pax complaining about the height of the seat in F

So I was on a PDX-ORD flight the other day when a fellow pax in F had a long row with the flight attendant before takeoff about the fact that she felt that the seat was too high off the ground and her feet couldn't reach the floor (she looked to be maybe 5'1, 5'2ish), saying (I think) something along the lines of: "I paid xx for this seat, it should allow my feet to reach the ground." The gate agent then boarded and got involved in the fracas, with the FA and gate agent basically saying that these are industry standard seats and there isn't anything they can do about it anyway. The pax almost had to be disboarded before finally shutting up about it.

The pax was being difficult and ridiculous, but it did get me wondering what the standard seat height is. I often actually feel the distance between the seat bottom and the floor is actually too short, although I understand they can't please everyone. It also made me wonder why this height isn't adjustable, especially so in premium class seats. Are there any airlines on which seat height is adjustable?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Sheesh! Some people!

I'm just under 5' tall, and at times I carry a folding foot rest (from Magellans) as I cannot put my feet flat in any airplane seat that I've ever experienced. I feel her pain, but come on!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by BurBunny
Sheesh! Some people!

I'm just under 5' tall, and at times I carry a folding foot rest (from Magellans) as I cannot put my feet flat in any airplane seat that I've ever experienced. I feel her pain, but come on!
Don't FAs complain about not keeping the aisle clear?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Sheesh! Some people!

Seems to me, buying a footrest and carrying on board could be a possible solution..

Perhaps there was something the FA could put under the complainant's feet?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by andrewwm
So I was on a PDX-ORD flight the other day when a fellow pax in F had a long row with the flight attendant before takeoff about the fact that she felt that the seat was too high off the ground and her feet couldn't reach the floor (she looked to be maybe 5'1, 5'2ish), saying (I think) something along the lines of: "I paid xx for this seat, it should allow my feet to reach the ground."

Are there any airlines on which seat height is adjustable?
Yes, but it's more like the seat tilt (as opposed to pitch), which is adjustable on carriers with premium seats such as SQ or VS. Unfortunately, these carriers do not fly the PDX-ORD route.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:42 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
No airline seat is adjustable for height, for a simple reason: it would fail the crash test. Even the $100,000+ seats used in F for the uber-premium airlines like SQ, EK and QF are not adjustable for height. But many J/F seats do have a foot rest, which is adjustable and solves this problem completely! There are even some Y seats which include a foot rest (albeit not many). The low-tech solution is to use a carryon bag etc. as an ottoman
Old Jun 3, 2011, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
No airline seat is adjustable for height, for a simple reason: it would fail the crash test. Even the $100,000+ seats used in F for the uber-premium airlines like SQ, EK and QF are not adjustable for height. But many J/F seats do have a foot rest, which is adjustable and solves this problem completely! There are even some Y seats which include a foot rest (albeit not many). The low-tech solution is to use a carryon bag etc. as an ottoman
I understand that footrests solves the issue for those shorter than average, but certainly doesn't solve anything for taller people. It's hardly a huge issue, but you'd think with all of the innovative seat offerings that they'd figure out some way to adjust seat height for taller people. I've flown enough premium cabin flights to see all the other amazing gizmos that the seats can do, I'm surprised that they haven't been able to figure out how to make this kind of movement happen, that's all.

As for the rude lady on the flight, eventually she made her own ersatz footrest with a blanket which seemed to satisfy everyone. I can't believe she was willing to be almost disboarded over the issue though.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think the seats are of a pretty std height, width and depth(seen one, seen them all) maybe 3 or 4 styles in all. i presume they are bought in finished form from joe's airplane plane seat factory. point i am getting to, i think most first class domestic seats are very similar.

either this is the first time this person has been in this situation, or they are hustling for compensation.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:50 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Sheesh! Some people!

Agreed ^. Some folks will complain about anything but this is ridiculous!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:34 am

Sheesh! Some people!

I love people like you that are smart enough to solve their own problems when it's obvious that nothing else can be done on the other party's end.

Kudos!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
I'm 5'3, and I have this issue on many lie-flat seats (AC J and LH F both come to mind) - my feet didn't touch the ground at all. But the glass of pre-flight champagne the FA brings over makes it all better

And really, it's only during take off and landing that there's any dangling of feet. As soon as we hit altitude, I raise the footrest for extra support.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The FA should have offered to remove the seat cushion for her.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by andrewwm
So I was on a PDX-ORD flight the other day when a fellow pax in F had a long row with the flight attendant before takeoff about the fact that she felt that the seat was too high off the ground and her feet couldn't reach the floor (she looked to be maybe 5'1, 5'2ish), saying (I think) something along the lines of: "I paid xx for this seat, it should allow my feet to reach the ground." The gate agent then boarded and got involved in the fracas, with the FA and gate agent basically saying that these are industry standard seats and there isn't anything they can do about it anyway. The pax almost had to be disboarded before finally shutting up about it.

The pax was being difficult and ridiculous, but it did get me wondering what the standard seat height is. I often actually feel the distance between the seat bottom and the floor is actually too short, although I understand they can't please everyone. It also made me wonder why this height isn't adjustable, especially so in premium class seats. Are there any airlines on which seat height is adjustable?
Unfortunately, there is no common sense test which people have to pass before being sold an air ticket. Did she expect FA to issue her a pair of those 9" platform shoes teens sometimes wear?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Originally Posted by uszkanni
Don't FAs complain about not keeping the aisle clear?
When I've used it, never had it be an issue. It's only 4" deep. In addition, I'd consider not setting it out if I were in a non E+ or above aisle seat. During flight, if someone needs to get by, I just flip it up against the seat and it's no problem. I can fold and unfold it with my feet.

This is the one I've used for years. There is a newer, inflatable model called Business Class Foot Rest, but it seems a bit much and would definitely be a tripping hazard. Then again, I do have a flight to JNB ahead which can't be upgraded...
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Sheesh! Some people!

I have that same folding foot rest, works a treat for us vertically challenged people! LOL
And if I ever forget it, I just use my carryon as a foot rest since it fits under the seat. Shrugs, of all the things to complain about, this one is about the easiest fix their is for us around 5' feet tall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.