Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keeping the window shade open on long flights

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 6:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaesun
For those of us who like to sit on window seat (or even anyone), do you guys like to keep the window open ?

I was looking at a video of how the new B787 will allow you to keep the window open (dynamic window tinting, ha), without letting light in disturbing other passengers.

So I was wondering, is there some 'rule' that windows should be closed at certain times? I for one like to keep the window open as I like to stare outside, but at the same time, if most everyone else has the windows closed (wanting to go to sleep?), I feel bad and feel compelled to close the window to be nice.

What are your thoughts?
I don't sit on the window seat as I am afraid to fall down.
I don't know if there is any law regarding window shades, except possibly during take off and landing, when the crew ask you to put your shades up. Generally, at times when people would be sleeping, the crew tell every one to keep the shades down, for example, on westbound Transpac flights. I wonder if people who say "the person in the window seat controls the shades" have been on a long westbound flight!
Old May 25, 2011, 6:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Or to indicate to another plane that it's OK to pass.
It's against the FAA rules for a passenger to indicate to pilot of another plane that it's OK to pass. Only pilot can do that.
Old May 25, 2011, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I find it much too windy to leave the window open.
Brilliant.

Seats still available in the link below.

dh
Old May 25, 2011, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I find some FAs to be a bit overzealous when it comes to shutting the window, especially on international flights. On domestic flights, I almost always leave the window open. I tend to take photos of interesting scenery, other aircraft, etc, and also prefer to get some natural light, not LED or fluorescent. On international flights, if intend to sleep for a while, then I'll usually close the window.. Have only had one pax ask me to close it.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by ShrinkRay
I think the person in the window seat controls the window. Those in the middle or on the aisle, can close their eyes or put on eyeshades if they want to sleep. When I'm in the window seat, I tend to keep it open unless the sun is just shining through too brightly.

When I'm in the middle, I have no more right to insist that the person in the window seat put down the shade than I would have to insist that they open it because I'd like to look out. Which sometimes happens - I sit there thinking how much I'd like them to put the shade up, but I'd never dream of asking them to.
My thoughts exactly. Unless directed by the FA to put it down, it's staying up unless the sunlight's bothering me.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
If you want to control the window shade, sit at the window.

That being said, there is no merit to closing the shade AT NIGHT(although I can see the merit in closing it as you cross into the sunrise). I don't sleep on planes very well despite how much I've flown, and I rather enjoy looking at the moonlit clouds for a little while.
Old May 25, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: Independent
I have not done any trans-pacific flights where you are crosing the date line, but on trans-atlantic or trans continental flights I find keeping the sahdes up really helps me deal with jet lag - with the shades closed I find I get out of rhythm. With them open, I find my body adapts much better to the time change.

Were'nt there studies done at one point in a mine where they tried to mimic the shortening and lengthening of the day by artificial daylight?
Old May 25, 2011, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
If you want to control the window shade, sit at the window.

That being said, there is no merit to closing the shade AT NIGHT(although I can see the merit in closing it as you cross into the sunrise). I don't sleep on planes very well despite how much I've flown, and I rather enjoy looking at the moonlit clouds for a little while.
I agree its moot to close the window shade when its dark..

but if the FA says you should put up your shades, I think it would prudent not to make a fuss and do so.. makes their jobs easier..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.