Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for Low Fare from Cali to NY, or promo code for travel this summer

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Looking for Low Fare from Cali to NY, or promo code for travel this summer

I know now that this is an almost impossible request, but I have to explore every avenue possible.

I am trying to get a friend and her daughter to come visit me & the kids this summer. She comes once or twice a year and always flies American. She has flown with them almost exclusively for the last 29 years, and has had the Citi AA card since 1994. Frequent Flyer miles have been used often.

Imagine our surprise when she tried to book a flight last month with American using her miles for her ticket. There were no seats. This is the first time this has happened. The cost to buy, or even share miles in order to upgrade to a higher class of ticket (that might or might not be available) is more than purchasing the ticket.

We both have been trying several times every day, hoping to either find one ticket using her AA rewards, and paying for her daughters fare, or finding an immensely discounted fare on another airline for the both of them, or a decently discounted fare with a promo code.

Airports and times are extremely flexible. Any airport in Southern California to any airport in NY.....flying from California to NY at the end of June, and staying approximately 3 weeks (last week in July).

I understand this is a major long shot, and an almost laughable request, but we really need this to happen. If anyone can help, I would be eternally grateful!!!

Thank You,

~~Lauri~~
Old May 23, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
If reward seats are not available, you should be able to get a seat for about $300. Save the miles for a more expensive trip.
Old May 23, 2011, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Do a search for CLO-NYC
Old May 23, 2011, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I'm seeing one-way nonstops from California to NYC for $169 the last week of June on AA and Virgin America, and one-stop returns on July 21 on Delta for $219.

Fares from Cali, Colombia may be higher.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
If reward seats are not available, you should be able to get a seat for about $300. Save the miles for a more expensive trip.
I wish that was true. It is over the $500.00 mark and the worst flight available.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I'm seeing one-way nonstops from California to NYC for $169 the last week of June on AA and Virgin America, and one-stop returns on July 21 on Delta for $219.

Fares from Cali, Colombia may be higher.
LOL at the Columbia reference...I thought I was looking at the code wrong!

while that makes the ticket only $388., you still have to add the $50. R/T fee for luggage...(438.00), then the taxes which I think are about $40 or so..bringing it to almost $500.00 a ticket. We just can't do that price this time around.

I know it seems like I am being difficult, but that really isn't my intention. It is just that I know from being a lurker and reading these boards, that most of you are incredibly knowledgeable, and my best chance at finding some kind of deal is going to be in here.

Once again, thank you for your time. It is appreciated.

Just an FYI...I need the return date to be after the 22nd of July.

~~Lauri~~
Old May 24, 2011, 7:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
what price per ticket do you have to get?

good luck...
Old May 24, 2011, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

The fares I quoted include all taxes and fees, other than checked-baggage fees. I'm now seeing $196 one-way fares from NYC to LAX in late July on AirTran.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:16 pm

Flying long beach (i know its not southern) on jetblue I am seeing $173 single to new york. The return ticket is $253.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
$344.80 SNA to ABE round trip, all taxes included, on AA. July 4 to July 26.

Yes, I know ABE is not in NY.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:00 am
Original Poster

I guess that is the way to go....booking with two different airlines.

It is looking like Virgin and AA are my best combos.

Any chance that there would be any promotion codes floating around? Two years ago, I stumble on some kind of college football site and they gave me a code for 10% off on American.
Old May 25, 2011, 5:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
the dallas paper had an insert today for 20% off on virgin america...must fly between 6/1, return by 11/15....a long list of ok fare codes....

the 1 i got is 4E2E7387....you are welcome to use it....

perhaps someone else from here will come up with another one...

ps...the code is good for 1 or 2 pax....

please note that i'm doing this even though you haven't answered my ? above....grouch, grouch...

also, this offer is probably in the papers in cities other than big d...so you should move quickly if it is usable...

Last edited by clacko; May 25, 2011 at 6:43 am
Old May 25, 2011, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clacko
the dallas paper had an insert today for 20% off on virgin america...must fly between 6/1, return by 11/15....a long list of ok fare codes....

the 1 i got is 4E2E7387....you are welcome to use it....

perhaps someone else from here will come up with another one...

ps...the code is good for 1 or 2 pax....

please note that i'm doing this even though you haven't answered my ? above....grouch, grouch...

also, this offer is probably in the papers in cities other than big d...so you should move quickly if it is usable...

I am sorry...I missed that. The lowest fare possible. The budget was originally for the price of one round trip ticket because my friend was planning on using the FF miles. She was here for Christmas and the fares were about $300 - $400.00, so I was hoping to get not only a great fare, but then use a promo code on top of it....I know...a lot to ask.

Thank you so much for that code! It brought the one way down to $111.00!!!!!!!!!

Even with that code on a R/T with VA, it is still more $$$ then using VA and AA combo, and it is also a much longer trip with a stop....

Hopefully, this will bring it down to a reasonable amount...now if I could find an AA promo code, I would be in heaven!
Old May 25, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
Probably not going to work since parent and child must travel together, but there is ONE one-way ticket available from San Diego (SAN) to JFK on July 2nd at 12,500 miles. Unfortunately the price for the purchased one-way ticket is $288 + tax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.