Reload this Page >

So most foreign carriers are better.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So most foreign carriers are better.

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by colmc
BA hasn't been government run since the 80's

As many have pointed out, government ownership is no guarantee of quality.
EgyptAir was nice!...We got big portions of chicken in COACH class!!
Old May 24, 2011, 9:46 am

OP, seriously, this was a joke, right? Please for the love of man say it was all a put on to get reactions from people.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
From reports I've read Alitalia and Iberia (I've never flown either), sound like frontline experience nightmares?
Old May 24, 2011, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by AviationFan24
My personal opinion on this matter is I don't think we should have a national airline (gov't run). I wasn't alive during airline regulation. I think deregulation was the only good thing Jimmy Carter did.

I would not want a national airline gov't run and I am gonna get a little political but I believe everytime gov't meddles in our personal affairs or the private sector it just makes things worse, JMHO!!!! I have said this before I believe we should just let a free market work and not have gov't intervention.

I think deregulation has set our country apart in the sense that we have competition and airlines are competing for our business. Yes the pool is getting smaller but there is still competition for the consumer, which IMHO is always a good thing.
in general, deregulation isn't always rosy and good as you make it out to be.

as far as airlines, don't think it has to do with it being govt run vs private. it is a hit and miss and really just depends on the people running the business. you can find good and bad examples on both sides of the fence.
Old May 24, 2011, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
Amtrak is government run. Look what a great, quality experience that is to ride....
+1

(Oh, and if we follow the Amtrak model, cargo flights would be given priority runway access, as well as the fastest, smoothest flight paths.)
Old May 24, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by nycflyer
You are cherry picking the better foreign airlines out there. I don't think you'd put EgyptAir, Air China, or Air India on the list, which are the flag carriers of their respective countries but are arguably worse than US carriers.

You might want to consider what would bring the carriers you list down to the US airline level:
- a brutally competitive domestic market in which airlines must strip out any and all extra costs, to the extent they calculate how many olives should be put in their salads
- the burden of buying health insurance for their employees in the world's most overpriced and inefficient health care market, with no end in sight to increasing costs
- a large base of older FAs without pensions or social support, who have to work way beyond normal retirement age, combined with age discrimination laws and unions which prevent dismissal for lack of performance

The US pretty much has transportation suitable to its political and legal reality: bus-like airlines which provide safe, no-frills transportation to the unwashed masses. Anyone who can afford anything better can choose foreign carriers, who can make money with higher standards.
I would add that said masses seldom travel in the first place and thus don't know any better (except the USA!!! chant because it's the best at everything...). Otherwise, spot on.

If the government ran an airline, I could only imagine the NY Post making jokes about "government cheese" (literally) being served as a snack. Then legislators would demand it fly to every podunk, god forsaken bumble f'ing airport in the country, thus creating a situation such as we have at the federal level: an entity in debt at 400% of its gross revenue.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wrdouglas
Hey folks I have a question. Since I and I think most of us intentionally book foreign carriers, why not have a nationalized airline? Most quality foreign carriers are government run. Singapore air, Thai, ba, lut, quantas, new zeland, etc. I know Virgin x is private, seriously, what are the thoughts of a nationalized airline?

What are your thoughts? We can have a union and your hire date starts your seniority but your salary is based on your exp. and qualifications.
Air Canada had a bit of monopoly after Canadian went under.. until Westjet became a LCC to be reckoned with.. now more of an national entity..

Lack of competitions means less ways of collecting miles unfortunately..
Old May 24, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, ex-UA 1P
I guess one of the takeaways after 30 years+ of deregulation in the US is that you can't combine a top-level premium service provider and a low cost carrier in the same airline. Since no US carrier can survive without a domestic network, and since domestic routes have to contend with the Southwests and JetBlues out there, every US carrier is forced to adopt some version of the low cost model, to the detriment of providing premium service. We don't expect McDonald's to have a corner in its restaurants with Michelin 3-star level cuisine, why do we expect it from AA/DL/UA?

An airline doesn't have to be government-owned to be "mediocre", if by "mediocre" one means incapable of offering "world-class" service in F competitive with SQ, EK, CX, BA, LH, QF etc. US carriers are world-class if evaluated against their main reason for existence, which is to efficiently provide nearly accident-free, cheap transportation to the largest flying population in the world.

If you could reduce the level of competition in US air travel markets, airlines might generate enough economic profits to permit them to compete on service rather than price. But this is politically unthinkable in the egalitarian and capitalist USA.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:45 pm

If you had a choice between United / Continental or US Airways, which would you choose? Which is better overall?
Old May 25, 2011, 3:26 am

i'm going to have to stand up for USPS for a government-backed, supposedly revenue neutral company. the service, price and reliability are better than fedex and ups imo, domestic and international for small and medium sized packages. of course, they are losing huge sums of money almost every quarter due to too many government employees sitting around with thumbs in their backsides, as was pointed out earlier.
Old May 25, 2011, 4:55 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
It depends on which flights you're talking about. For example, I've been on a number of intra-Europe flights, in both economy and business class, on multiple carriers. Overall, it isn't obvious that the experience is any better in Europe than in U.S. (domestic first or economy). Some things better, some things worse.

If you're talking about inter-continental premium class, then that's another story.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wdogg
i'm going to have to stand up for USPS for a government-backed, supposedly revenue neutral company. the service, price and reliability are better than fedex and ups imo, domestic and international for small and medium sized packages.
You are either on drugs and/or work for the postal service.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by AviationFan24
Hi wrdouglas;

My personal opinion on this matter is I don't think we should have a national airline (gov't run). I wasn't alive during airline regulation. I think deregulation was the only good thing Jimmy Carter did.

I would not want a national airline gov't run and I am gonna get a little political but I believe everytime gov't meddles in our personal affairs or the private sector it just makes things worse, JMHO!!!! I have said this before I believe we should just let a free market work and not have gov't intervention.

I think deregulation has set our country apart in the sense that we have competition and airlines are competing for our business. Yes the pool is getting smaller but there is still competition for the consumer, which IMHO is always a good thing.

Charlie.

P.S. I think this might be in the wrong forum, just saying.
^ and another thing that is not said about the top tier state run foreign airlines is they are big money losers.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by AggieNzona
We had a flagship international carrier it was called Pan Am.
I wish the new United/CO would chuck the hybrid livery and buy the rights to Pan Am name/livery and give it another go.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
It depends on which flights you're talking about. For example, I've been on a number of intra-Europe flights, in both economy and business class, on multiple carriers. Overall, it isn't obvious that the experience is any better in Europe than in U.S. (domestic first or economy). Some things better, some things worse.

If you're talking about inter-continental premium class, then that's another story.
Agreed, US carrier's F is better than intra-Euro J. Just wish US airlines would offer topflight premium products on the longhaul flights, which they don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.