Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So most foreign carriers are better.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

So most foreign carriers are better.

Hey folks I have a question. Since I and I think most of us intentionally book foreign carriers, why not have a nationalized airline? Most quality foreign carriers are government run. Singapore air, Thai, ba, lut, quantas, new zeland, etc. I know Virgin x is private, seriously, what are the thoughts of a nationalized airline?

What are your thoughts? We can have a union and your hire date starts your seniority but your salary is based on your exp. and qualifications.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Hi wrdouglas;

My personal opinion on this matter is I don't think we should have a national airline (gov't run). I wasn't alive during airline regulation. I think deregulation was the only good thing Jimmy Carter did.

I would not want a national airline gov't run and I am gonna get a little political but I believe everytime gov't meddles in our personal affairs or the private sector it just makes things worse, JMHO!!!! I have said this before I believe we should just let a free market work and not have gov't intervention.

I think deregulation has set our country apart in the sense that we have competition and airlines are competing for our business. Yes the pool is getting smaller but there is still competition for the consumer, which IMHO is always a good thing.

Charlie.

P.S. I think this might be in the wrong forum, just saying.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wrdouglas
Hey folks I have a question. Since I and I think most of us intentionally book foreign carriers, why not have a nationalized airline?
Sure, let's have the DMV or USPS run an airline.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:17 pm

We had a flagship international carrier it was called Pan Am.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:25 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Hey folks I have a question. Since I and I think most of us intentionally book foreign carriers, why not have a nationalized airline? Most quality foreign carriers are government run. Singapore air, Thai, ba, lut, quantas, new zeland, etc. I know Virgin x is private, seriously, what are the thoughts of a nationalized airline?

What are your thoughts? We can have a union and your hire date starts your seniority but your salary is based on your exp. and qualifications.
All except Thai are now Majority Publicly owned by Shareholders and even Virgin is probably Majority owned by Singapore Airlines Shareholders so cannot even be called private.

Even Thai which has partial Public Shareholders will most likely be Majority owned by The Public in the near future.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UncleDude
All except Thai are now Majority Publicly owned by Shareholders and even Virgin is probably Majority owned by Singapore Airlines Shareholders so cannot even be called private.

Even Thai which has partial Public Shareholders will most likely be Majority owned by The Public in the near future.
Do you mean private investors? As in they are publicly traded?
Old May 23, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: US C.P.
great idea ........one national, state run airline. to avoid duplication, we could make it a subsidiary of T.S.A.......cradle to grave approach.
Old May 23, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, ex-UA 1P
You are cherry picking the better foreign airlines out there. I don't think you'd put EgyptAir, Air China, or Air India on the list, which are the flag carriers of their respective countries but are arguably worse than US carriers.

You might want to consider what would bring the carriers you list down to the US airline level:
- a brutally competitive domestic market in which airlines must strip out any and all extra costs, to the extent they calculate how many olives should be put in their salads
- the burden of buying health insurance for their employees in the world's most overpriced and inefficient health care market, with no end in sight to increasing costs
- a large base of older FAs without pensions or social support, who have to work way beyond normal retirement age, combined with age discrimination laws and unions which prevent dismissal for lack of performance

The US pretty much has transportation suitable to its political and legal reality: bus-like airlines which provide safe, no-frills transportation to the unwashed masses. Anyone who can afford anything better can choose foreign carriers, who can make money with higher standards.
Old May 23, 2011, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by UncleDude
d even Virgin is probably Majority owned by Singapore Airlines Shareholders so cannot even be called private.
Incorrect. AFAIK VS is 51% privately owned by Richard Branson with SQ having the 49% non-controlling stake.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
BA hasn't been government run since the 80's

As many have pointed out, government ownership is no guarantee of quality.
Old May 23, 2011, 9:29 pm

We can have a union and your hire date starts your seniority but your salary is based on your exp. and qualifications.
Sorry, but this would never fly. Unions guarantee that the mediocre get paid the same as the stellar - which eventually makes even the stellar unmotivated.

Our government isn't smart enough to run an airline anyway. Typically when conmpared to private sector, US government pays too much, has way too many people sitting around with thumbs up backside, and is generally unproductive. So we'd get a new "air travel quality tax" that would be paid on all tickets on all airlines to subsidize the new AFSCME union featherbed.
Old May 24, 2011, 5:39 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Amtrak is government run. Look what a great, quality experience that is to ride....
Old May 24, 2011, 9:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
As this travel-related topic is not related specifically to US Airways, we'll move it over to the TravelBuzz.

-AZ
US Airways Forum Moderator
Old May 24, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Clearly the OP has never experienced the wonderment that is SpanAir.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
The gubment cant even get their act together BEFORE the security checkpoint, much less run the aspect of travel AFTER the security checkpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.