Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Professional Sports Teams' Air Travel - who sits towards the front?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, Velocity member

What are the seating arrangements on planes for professional sporting teams. I presume most US professional teams fly in chartered planes If so are they all one class, or if not, who determines who sits towards the front of the plane and who at the back? Where do the coaches/ managers sit? is there a big difference between US professional sports flying habits, and say, European soccer teams?
Just curious.
Old May 5, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
During the season, the majority of teams travel on chartered jets with some teams able to fly on the owners jet. I'd assume that the coaches would travel up front and whatever premium seats left would go to the players based on seniority. The broadcasters, training staff and club assistants travel with the team as well.
Old May 5, 2011, 9:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
why do you ask?....good luck....
Old May 5, 2011, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While many US-based teams in basketball, hockey and baseball have their owner's team aircraft, seats are still given on a seniority basis. In 2008, Northwest started a 10-year agreement with the NBA in which seven A319s were configured to how they wanted with the process the same. These planes have 54 first class chairs.

Example: The plane for the New Orleans Hornets circa 2006

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=13757&page=1

For American football (gridiron), the charter is a standard commercial aircraft and the seniority priority still applies.

Last edited by csufabel; May 5, 2011 at 9:35 am
Old May 5, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by csufabel
For American football (gridiron), the charter is a standard commercial aircraft and the seniority priority still applies.
I wonder how some NFLers fit in Y seats. Those are some big people. In the recently concluded NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills drafted someone who played at 447 pounds last year. He's down to a svelte 375 now. Would it even be possible for him to sit in, say, a CO Y seat?
Old May 5, 2011, 11:18 am

A few years ago, I flew back from a game with an NFL team once-it was a chartered commercial plane from a legacy US carrier, set up the same as if it were a regular commercial flight.

The Head Coach was in seat 1A, then the other coaches and the players had coach seats, though it seemed each had his own set of 3 seats. The biggest difference I recall is the enormous meal given out on the way home. Those hamburgers were pure steak and must have been a pound or more each.
Old May 5, 2011, 2:26 pm

well, we know that nba team flight card games that break out into fights are in the back...
Old May 5, 2011, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I wonder how some NFLers fit in Y seats. Those are some big people. In the recently concluded NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills drafted someone who played at 447 pounds last year. He's down to a svelte 375 now. Would it even be possible for him to sit in, say, a CO Y seat?
Depending on the specific aircraft, it is basically row per player. The roster is only 45 players plus coaching/equipment staff (ownership may use their own personal jet) and broadcasting. Plus other media generally does not travel with the team to avoid a conflict of interest.

Numbers for team charters are generally available at flightaware.
Old May 6, 2011, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, Velocity member
Interesting - I guess it really does depend on the resources of the clubs. The resources would vary depending on competitions and the respective sports. I guess it makes sense having modified aircraft as csufabel's link when money is no object and body dimensions vary beyond the mean.
There are also some very wealthy football (erm...soccer) clubs in Europe, some sponsored by airlines (e.g Arsenal and Emirates), and I assume their travel is well appointed. We
still hear, though, commentators talking about 'gruelling' itineraries when Liverpool have to travel to, say, Kiev. I am sure it can't be that uncomfortable.
Also since many clubs have quite a varied wage structure and many Primadonnas grace the English Premier League I wondered there were any incidents of 'special' players getting preferential treatment?
In response to clacko, I am just a sports fan...and just curious. Type of thing that I think about when I watch the soccer/cricket teams playing.
Old May 6, 2011, 9:53 am

A private charter airline flies most of the US sports teams. It is all first class - players board first and sit in the partitioned off back of the plane. Managers, media and guests board last and sit in the forward part of the plane (also first class seating). Players are served food immediately after boarding and others are fed once plane takes off. This is taken from DH and GS who flew on a 3 stop road trip with the Panthers.
Old May 6, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...etz/index.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/news46/3918445026/
Old May 6, 2011, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I would have to agree that sports teams fly charters.. its faster, and with overnight games, its' more comfy and convenient.

I've heard that the use of regular airlines are used to fly a few athletes to and fro. If business or first is available, I suppose the athletes grab those first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.