Search

Countries which give Work visas to dependent applicants

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Countries which give Work visas to dependent applicants

Hi Folks,

I needed some info and guess this maybe a forum to get some good info..

Facts -- I am an Indian citizen, working in a IT MNC and travelling around for short /long term projects..

I was looking for info on which countries allow dependent spouse travellers of the main work permit holder the right to freely work or apply for work ..

I will start with what I have gathered till now :

USA
If Primary applicant on H1, dependent ( on H4) cannot work under any circumstances..
If Primary applicant on L1, dependent ( on L2) can work after taking some permission when in US..

Canada

If Primary applicant is on a highly skilled work permit, dependents may get a work permit basis the primary applicants work permit ..

Australia

If Primary applicant is on a highly skilled work permit, dependents get a work permit basis the primary applicants work permit ..

Singapore

If Primary applicant is on a highly skilled work permit, dependents can apply for jobs and the employer has to get a letter of consent from Ministry of manpower.. mostly a formality we believe..

UK

If Primary applicant is on a highly skilled work permit, dependents get a work permit basis the primary applicants work permit ..

Hongkong

Allows work for dependents for most employment visas..

Was checking out the net, but for some reason unable to get concrete info on this, so soliciting info here from experienced and knowledgable folks..
U can add other countries and info and comment on any of the above too..

Thanks for ur help..

Abhi

Last edited by abhilife2001; Jan 18, 2011 at 2:00 am Reason: Made it more specific by addiding spouse..
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:40 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Hong Kong does, for most types of employment visas.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by abhilife2001

Singapore

If Primary applicant is on a highly skilled work permit, dependents can apply and get a work permit basis the primary applicants work permit ..
To be clear, the dependent does not apply for or receive a work permit, but rather the employer applies for an LOC - letter of consent, from the Ministry of Manpower, which allows the dependent to work for the duration of the validity of the Dependent Pass (which is tied to the primary employment pass (EP) holder). The dependent will need a new LOC for each new job.

The LOC is considered a formality for the most part, though some employers may be unfamiliar with it and think it is a complicated process like an employment pass application.

If the dependent chooses to apply for an employment pass, it is a stand alone application judged on its own merits - that the dependent is in Singapore along with an EP holder does not factor into the review process.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...
[QUOTE=fimo;15680216][QUOTE=Jane's Addiction;15680108]

Thanks .. have modified the original thread accordingly..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.