Search

What do they do with coffins?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
What do they do with coffins?

OK this is kind of weird and morbid.

But I was talking with a friend, and we were wondering what happens when a coffin gets off of a commercial plane? What kind of car takes it? A hearse? Where does it take it to? Do family members come to pick it up and where do they meet it?

Like I said...weird thing to be wondering.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Call a local undertaker and inquire.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:01 pm

Local practices vary from country to country and airport to airport. For the most part however, any container with human remains is universally treated with the utmost dignity possible under the circumstances.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:10 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Growing up in Wisconsin I can tell you there is a large business of shipping bodies from AZ and FL back to WI.

Let's say a person dies in FL and the family wants a burial back in WI. An undertaker in FL would prepare the body, then arrange to transport the body to the airport cargo area. When the plane lands in WI, a undertaker in WI (who would be coordinating with the family and the undertaker in FL) would be there with the funeral home's hearse.

The business of shipping bodies is lucrative enough that some airlines offer Frequent Flyer miles to undertakers to use them to ship coffins.

When I worked in VA I visited the UA cargo building at IAD quite often; it was not uncommon at all to see a metal transport coffin coming or going.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by DMPHL
OK this is kind of weird and morbid.

But I was talking with a friend, and we were wondering what happens when a coffin gets off of a commercial plane? What kind of car takes it? A hearse? Where does it take it to? Do family members come to pick it up and where do they meet it?
If you haven't, you may want to see the HBO (TV) movie, Taking Chance. A real-life story got played out by fine actors. You get to see how things work in a military context. I highly recommended it. ^
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by lin821
If you haven't, you may want to see the HBO (TV) movie, Taking Chance. A real-life story got played out by fine actors. You get to see how things work in a military context. I highly recommended it. ^
+100!!! Excellent movie and good primer on the process.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA, VS,
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Call a local undertaker and inquire.
You Rang, (yes i am the local undertaker).

WE deliver caskets or coffins properly wrapped to the cargo area at the airport. The paperwork is then completed and the casket loaded on to the flight

when collecting caskets from the airport this again is doen via the cargo area, the casket has to clear customs and then we collect from cargo.

stuart
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by stuart101
You Rang, (yes i am the local undertaker).

WE deliver caskets or coffins properly wrapped to the cargo area at the airport. The paperwork is then completed and the casket loaded on to the flight

when collecting caskets from the airport this again is doen via the cargo area, the casket has to clear customs and then we collect from cargo.

stuart
Thank you...Random thing to ask, but just curious. It's true that FlyerTalkers do ALL sorts of things!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:51 pm

More here or here.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:00 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
More here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.