Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Jim Wilson Desk??????????

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2005, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
The Jim Wilson Desk??????????

Is there a Jim Wilson? Is it an acronym, or does it imply some secret message? Is it insider jargon? Need one be a Mason, or an undertaker (or perhaps, even more intriguing and not, I imagine, that uncommon; need one be both?) to decode this seemingly innocuous locution?

I know this much, he's the man to call for your last ride on AA. Reading AA's webpage about the new - and stingy - baggage rules, I came across:

The Jim Wilson Desk at AA Cargo (1-800-228-7878) handles the transportation of your deceased loved ones

It appears that a special desk at AA Cargo is devoted to send the loved one(s) to their final resting place if not eternal reward. But what if Jim's taking a break? The man can't work 24/7. So there's a desk. But why a "Jim Wilson" desk? And must we speak to Jim, or does he have helpers?

It's a little thing but nothing I read tells me why it belongs to Jim, or if that name means anything. And no, I'm not about to pick up the phone and call the 800 number and ask because I suspect the nice folks working there have enough to do doing what they do.

But I imagine if anyone else knows why, here's where they'd be. If you know, please share.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Lifetime Plat
You must have gotten a jump on Happy Hour out there in Boston.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 3:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good question! There was one Jim Wilson three or so decades ago, a NFL football lineman, later a wrestler, who got a rep for getting into bed with numbers of airline FAs and was presumably asked to leave Australia as a result, but I doubt this actually has anything to do with the "Jim Wilson desk" at AA.

Anyone know? Will the real Jim Wilson please stand up?
Old Mar 18, 2005, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA PLT
Originally Posted by JDiver
I don't think Jim is able to stand on his own anymore...

DFWILE
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.8M, MR Platinum Premiere, HH Diamond
I used to work in AA Purchasing. One of my colleagues would buy the reinforced containers (body boxes? cardboard coffins?) for human remains and they were called "Jim Wilson Trays". I have no idea where this curious term came from, but I'm pretty sure that Jim Wilson is not sitting at a desk awaiting your call to help facilitate final arrangements.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
http://www.langston.com/Fun_People/1994/1994ARH.html
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Chuck

My thanks to you for the reference. I never knew.

But I still wonder why "Jim Wilson" and not "John Doe" or "Jack Smith" or "Mortimer J. Snerd" or the "late Mr. So and So." Well, OK, maybe not Mortimer J. But still...

I have to wonder: was Jim the first passenger who really didn't care about where he was sitting, if he got pretzels, or what the menu choices were?

Was Jim a particularly beloved employee (or his doppelganger) and thus immortalized?

Or perhaps he was the guy who thought up the idea of sending Uncle Marty on one last flight (and thus enhanced the airlines' bottom lines?)

An early editor of Mortuary Management?

Slow day, I know; but the reference - on the AA Baggage page - got me to thinking and wondering and while I'm not dying to find out (the time will come. I can wait.) it's surprising to come across a term dropped into the text about which I had no clue.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

There was one...... who got a rep for getting into bed with numbers of airline FAs and was presumably asked to leave Australia as a result
I thought that was Sinatra when you had a Labor PM (Bob Hawke: the one with the fabulous hair.)
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Why hasn't anyone asked yet whether you can get AAdvantage miles for shipping your dead relatives on AA?

Or perhaps the dead relative was an FTer, died just short of qualifying for EXP, and needs the ride to make that much sought-after posthumous EXP status?
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:00 pm

Some Friday Night Humor

Could the Jim Wilson Desk be the line that all the non-rev passengers get connected to? Or better yet could this desk be the one that handles all the complaints about the food. "Hey Mr. Wilson, I got sick on my flight yesterday and need 10,000 miles compensation for my inconvience". Or even better,this might be the desk you call if your fun lovin flight attendant fails to show up and they need backup f/a.

Well one could always think of Jim Wilson from Dennis The Menace who gets bothered by all the complaints michivious passengers trying to get a free trip.

My 2 cents for some humor(:
Old Nov 16, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA, AS
I am retired from AA now after 30+ years (started in Reservations in 1978) and it was called "the Jim Wilson Desk" as long as I worked for the company. I never heard any lore about a real Jim Wilson.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
This doesn't quite answer the question but seems to have some background/history:

http://www.adobecreekfuneralhome.com...05&fh_id=13014

...In 1960, the creator of the “Jim Wilson Desk” at American Airlines, Harry Bate, established a special outreach to funeral homes for the shipment of bodies system-wide, which also enhanced the patronage of family transportation in harmony with the decedent. At the time, a “sleeping bag type” rental unit known as PADAT was utilized by airlines, as its tight dimension strapped to the casket allowed for expanded opportunities to final destinations in smaller aircraft. But they had a major problem: caskets were constantly arriving at the funeral home destination with dents and damage, with no evidence of damage outside the container. The airline was forced to assume damage claims and sometimes pay for a new casket when the cause of the damage could not be identified. After studying the potential causes for damage, I created the wooden tray with the smallest dimension that would contain a standard casket. Allan fiddled with folded cardboard and we created “The Casket Airtray,” which had a folding inner liner and a telescoping top that could lower exactly to one inch above the crown of a casket. This allowed the funeral director and airlines to know which aircraft could accommodate the shipment. In May 1960, the first Casket Airtray was presented at the California Funeral Directors Association convention. Its general concept has become the world standard for most all shipments...
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
<redacted>

Originally Posted by Nanuk99AK
I am retired from AA now after 30+ years (started in Reservations in 1978) and it was called "the Jim Wilson Desk" as long as I worked for the company. I never heard any lore about a real Jim Wilson.
Welcome to FlyerTalk Nanuk99AK!

I didn't notice it was your first post not did I even notice the date either when I replied upthread...I don't know that anyone has ever found out the true history of the name.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 18, 2013 at 6:27 am
Old Nov 16, 2013, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
<redacted>

Thank you and welcome, Nanuk99AK! With 30+ years of AA experience I'm sure you will add a lot of knowledge here. This is a tough crowd but our bark is worse than our bite.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 18, 2013 at 6:27 am
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
<redacted>

Welcome to FT Nanuk99AK! I am sure your 30+ years of insight, from the inside, will make you a valuable resource to FT in general, and the AA forum specifically.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 18, 2013 at 6:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.