Flying with a reduced carbon footprint?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:13 pm
Suspended

LOL ^
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
+1 Totally agree with this. The most efficient, environmentally superior transport mode up to 400 miles in route length is high-speed passenger rail. For example, Eurostar currently claims to operate "carbon-neutral" and sets a good example. For that matter, try to avoid regional jet flights, if that is possible, especially in congested air corridors surrounding major airports. At some of these corridors, high speed rail maybe, or shall we say, should be available instead.

Wide body aircraft such as an A330, A345, 767, 777 and future 787, 747-8I and A350s should be introduced/reintroduced in congested air corridors to maximize capacity and minimize emissions. Why insist pax fly in Y in a narrow body a/c when the real issue here is to provide more capacity on the plane comfortably via a widebody cabin where these planes will generate less emissions per pax for the routes they serve?

Finally, I agree with the above quote. The plane is going to leave with or without you. So you may as well be on the plane...
I think your assumption that a widebody plane is "better" is not true. I read somewhere that the 757 is the most fuel efficient airplane, in terms of fuel per passenger.

More importantly, though, airlines aren't stupid. They pay for fuel!!! Airlines have a huge incentive to fly more fuel-efficient airplanes.

When you see an airline that is not using the most fuel-efficient aircraft on a particular route, there's a good reason for it, and avoiding that flight just to be "green" is not being green, it's being naive.

About a third of the population (the obese) could reduce carbon emissions by airplane or car by losing weight. That would be a REAL reduction, not some phony baloney carbon offset program or something as silly as picking a flight with a "better" aircraft type.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by black dawn
I think your assumption that a widebody plane is "better" is not true. I read somewhere that the 757 is the most fuel efficient airplane, in terms of fuel per passenger.

More importantly, though, airlines aren't stupid. They pay for fuel!!! Airlines have a huge incentive to fly more fuel-efficient airplanes.

When you see an airline that is not using the most fuel-efficient aircraft on a particular route, there's a good reason for it, and avoiding that flight just to be "green" is not being green, it's being naive.

About a third of the population (the obese) could reduce carbon emissions by airplane or car by losing weight. That would be a REAL reduction, not some phony baloney carbon offset program or something as silly as picking a flight with a "better" aircraft type.
A 757 being the most fuel efficient aircraft is absolute baloney. Boeing discontinued the make in 2004. Boeing prefers to make the 737-800/900 as IMO, a cheap replacement until they can design something better. The thing that makes 757 "more" fuel efficient today are the winglets, which need to be installed on the plane to make them more efficient. US airlines chose to ratchet down their capacity because fuel costs went up. All of the widebodies US carriers were flying at the time fuel costs started to rise were old. The narrow body aircraft US carriers were phasing in were newer, more fuel efficient but had less capacity. Since US customers wanted more flights and since there was no other comparable transport choice around the 400 mile range, most of the US carriers turned to narrow body aircraft to serve demand. As a whole, the frequency of flights on narrow body aircraft takes a toll on congested airspace, emissions notwithstanding in the long term. When air travel demand goes up, there needs to be an another transport mode in certain corridors as an alternative to air traffic congestion due to lack of plane capacity. Ultimately, if this is not done soon, you will see more US airports imposing slot constraints as in the NY area or SFO area. One solution to that is to use the latest widebody aircraft being offered this coming decade.

I think you've quoted my post but tried to discussed other things like fuel efficiency. My argument didn't discussed that. The thoughts above come from the standpoint of travel demand, capacity, travel congestion and how that might affect emissions. OTOH, I am not arguing with you regarding which transport mode one should take within shorter distances to save on carbon footprint, emissions, etc. To me, that is public transport, walking and biking.

All I'm saying is that you might have to take a regional flight, if nothing else convenient is available, then fine, do as you please. For longer flights, what I am trying to say is you may as well fill the seat on the plane, make the airline some money (maybe) and give yourself some mobility because that plane is going to leave whether you're on it or not.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT,VS Silver,SPG gold, Hilton, AMEX Plat, BA nothing.
Originally Posted by BearX220
Finally some sensible perspective on this issue. The best way to influence airlines on carbon issues is to patronize carriers that have the intent and wherewithal to invest in cleaner propulsion (Branson / VS, for example)... not pay alms to some murky, disconnected "carbon offset" outfit whose operators are undoubtedly making a nice living playing on peoples' guilt and naivete.
Are you saying "Honest Red Sox Carbon Credits" is a sham? See you in court!

MY wife is always asking me to lower my methane footprint.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.