Flying with a reduced carbon footprint?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with a reduced carbon footprint?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Question Fly with a reduced carbon footprint? Which airline is green and what good enviro org?

I fly a lot and I was wondering if anybody had a good website and a green airline that would help me reduce my carbon footprint. Please help.
two things I want:
  1. Green organization I can can help out
  2. greenest airline to feel good about flying
Please Help!!!

Last edited by msit; Oct 25, 2010 at 12:40 am
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by msit
I fly a lot and I was wondering if anybody had a good website that would help me reduce my carbon footprint. This isn't incredibly air travel related but it's important to me. Please help.
Don't get mad at me because I'm not citing my sources directly here but...

I have herd that because planes deposit their exhaust emissions so high in the atmosphere, the carbon/particulates/other chemicals the planes leave in the air have a cooling effect because they act as an outward facing mirror.

It was discussed in SuperFreakonomics I believe.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:00 am
Original Poster

It does impact

http://www.sustainablestuff.co.uk/En...AirTravel.html According to that website it impacts it greatly
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:07 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
You would be best finding an airline with the newest fleet, as those planes would likely get better fuel economy than older planes.

You should look to fly non-stop, as take-offs and landings emit the most carbon.

Some airlines (like Air Canada, for instance) offer the ability to offset your carbon for your flight, though I must admit I have reservations about carbon offsets.

A few sites to check out are Nasa's environmentally responsible aviation project as well as the GoGreenTravel website, which offers tips for the green flyer.

Personally, what I do is try and limit my carbon footprint in other elements of my life (home, daily transport, etc.) so that I don't have to worry as much about carbon emissions when flying.

Greg
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:54 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Last year, SFO set up a carbon footprint offset program and kiosks for passengers to make their offset payment. http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/about...09/sf0963.html
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
You would be best finding an airline with the newest fleet, as those planes would likely get better fuel economy than older planes.

You should look to fly non-stop, as take-offs and landings emit the most carbon.

Some airlines (like Air Canada, for instance) offer the ability to offset your carbon for your flight, though I must admit I have reservations about carbon offsets.

A few sites to check out are Nasa's environmentally responsible aviation project as well as the GoGreenTravel website, which offers tips for the green flyer.

Personally, what I do is try and limit my carbon footprint in other elements of my life (home, daily transport, etc.) so that I don't have to worry as much about carbon emissions when flying.

Greg
Oh goody, my major
Other than just non-stop flights, try to limit the amount of regional jet flights especially since they generate more carbon on a per person basis due to need of quick takeoffs and less seats given for fuel use. I know it's usually impossible but see if you can take a train, bus, or even in some cases cars for short distance, I believe the number is under 300 miles travelled.
Another part will be occupying less space on a plane as you are contributing to less carbon emissions overall but are you willing to give up your upgraded First Class seat for a seat in E-? Maybe 1 Class planes will be more carbon friendly for you as well.

But as GregWTravels, other parts of your life also come into play. Try looking into Ecological Footprint, it gives a more concise and complete interpretation of your actions and what it is doing to the environment. Ecological Footprint looks into your diet, your heating and electrical needs, transportation needs among other things. Most of us FTers including myself are forced to travel.

Do you knew the average Canadian needs 5.8 earths to sustain our current lifestyle? And that number is 9.0 for Americans?

Don't be worried if the first time you do it that the number will be above 15, it can happen. For me, I had 13.4 one time compared to my classmate most of which were in the 2.5-3.5 range just because of my travels. Now it's closer to 10.5-11.0

Best of Luck
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:28 am
Suspended

Bottom line...cut down flying. No mileage runs. Teleconference, when possible.

When flying, take a non-stop. Choose a turboprop, like a Bombardier Q400, not a jet and not a CRJ. If you take a jet, a fully packed 737-900 is the best.

Don't worry about carbon offset. That is just money shifting around.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Do you knew the average Canadian needs 5.8 earths to sustain our current lifestyle? And that number is 9.0 for Americans?
Wow, I'm just 5.3 despite flying over 100k miles per year. Time to buy a Hummer!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I would agree with the money shifting comment. If a real effect could take place to reduce carbon emissions, then it would be worthwhile to invest or pay extra into it. Right now carbon offsets seems to me, a money grabber playing on personal guilt.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:23 am
Suspended

This is just silly. You're not running an airline, so you have no control over how much air pollution the airplanes are putting out.

The suggestion to intentially turn down an upgrade is exhibit A for global warming INSANITY ("Another part will be occupying less space on a plane as you are contributing to less carbon emissions overall but are you willing to give up your upgraded First Class seat for a seat in E-? Maybe 1 Class planes will be more carbon friendly for you as well.")

Do you honestly believe that sitting in a different seat on an airplane will make any difference at all? (besides demonstrating how moronic the global warming cult really is)
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by black dawn
This is just silly. You're not running an airline, so you have no control over how much air pollution the airplanes are putting out.

The suggestion to intentially turn down an upgrade is exhibit A for global warming INSANITY ("Another part will be occupying less space on a plane as you are contributing to less carbon emissions overall but are you willing to give up your upgraded First Class seat for a seat in E-? Maybe 1 Class planes will be more carbon friendly for you as well.")

Do you honestly believe that sitting in a different seat on an airplane will make any difference at all? (besides demonstrating how moronic the global warming cult really is)
Consumers responsible for the demand for air travel have some ability to influence airline policies, including over pollution and emissions. But a lone consumer is powerless in this.

The same plane with all economy class will transport more passengers than one with F,C and Y for a similar amount of fuel and carbon emitted. So LCCs will probably be better than full service carriers.

It is not about sitting in a different class, but giving up F and C totally. However, most FTers would probably not want to live in a world where all planes had only Y class.

Last edited by debonairy; Oct 26, 2010 at 3:55 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:46 am

unless your presence or should I say lack of presence cancels a flight, I personally think your efforts are all for naught
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by GregWTravels

Finally some sensible perspective on this issue. The best way to influence airlines on carbon issues is to patronize carriers that have the intent and wherewithal to invest in cleaner propulsion (Branson / VS, for example)... not pay alms to some murky, disconnected "carbon offset" outfit whose operators are undoubtedly making a nice living playing on peoples' guilt and naivete.

The other side of the sanity coin is here:

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Oh goody, my major... see if you can take a train, bus, or even in some cases cars for short distance, I believe the number is under 300 miles travelled. Another part will be occupying less space on a plane as you are contributing to less carbon emissions overall but are you willing to give up your upgraded First Class seat for a seat in E-? Maybe 1 Class planes will be more carbon friendly for you as well.
I think it's crazy to drive your own car 300 miles to "reduce carbon emissions" while the airplane you're not taking flies above your head anyway. Mass transit of any kind is nearly always more carbon-efficient than private vehicles. And occupying less space on a plane, or eliminating first class, doesn't shrink the airplane. This is classically faulty reasoning -- the idea that if you discomfit yourself, it must be doing some good. The airplane is going anyway, whether it's full or not, whether the seats are big or small.

Originally Posted by Aero A
Don't worry about carbon offset. That is just money shifting around.
No amount of carbon offset voodoo is going to change airline route networks, flight frequencies or aircraft types. Real change is a more complex proposition.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by BearX220
I think it's crazy to drive your own car 300 miles to "reduce carbon emissions" while the airplane you're not taking flies above your head anyway. Mass transit of any kind is nearly always more carbon-efficient than private vehicles. And occupying less space on a plane, or eliminating first class, doesn't shrink the airplane. This is classically faulty reasoning -- the idea that if you discomfit yourself, it must be doing some good. The airplane is going anyway, whether it's full or not, whether the seats are big or small.
+1 Totally agree with this. The most efficient, environmentally superior transport mode up to 400 miles in route length is high-speed passenger rail. For example, Eurostar currently claims to operate "carbon-neutral" and sets a good example. For that matter, try to avoid regional jet flights, if that is possible, especially in congested air corridors surrounding major airports. At some of these corridors, high speed rail maybe, or shall we say, should be available instead.

Wide body aircraft such as an A330, A345, 767, 777 and future 787, 747-8I and A350s should be introduced/reintroduced in congested air corridors to maximize capacity and minimize emissions. Why insist pax fly in Y in a narrow body a/c when the real issue here is to provide more capacity on the plane comfortably via a widebody cabin where these planes will generate less emissions per pax for the routes they serve?

Finally, I agree with the above quote. The plane is going to leave with or without you. So you may as well be on the plane...
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by msit
I fly a lot and I was wondering if anybody had a good website and a green airline that would help me reduce my carbon footprint. Please help.

http://www.schwinn.com/
http://www.huffybikes.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.