Wiki Posts
Search

Eaasy Sabre [easySabreŽ]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Eaasy Sabre [easySabreŽ]

Does anyone remember the fabulous Eaasy Sabre?

I joined CompuServe back in 1991 and fell in love with Eaasy Sabre. I was heartbroken when they discontinued it.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, many of us remember it.

Now you can use ExpertFlyer to get some of the same functionality (and some nifty new things).
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:46 pm

I was a VAX/VMS user and looked at PCs as toys for playing silly games. Until I saw a friend using Eaasy Sabre on a PC. The next morning I bought my first one and signed up with Compuserve. 1994. Sheesh.

I loved how you could construct an itinerary and then change it by adding and removing segments anywhere in the middle. Does EF do that? ITA sure doesn't - you can only add/remove the last leg.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:50 pm

Or check hotel rates.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
My first AAdvantage number (I still remember it!) was used for EAASY SABRE on CompuServe back in the auld days... on my 486DX 50, with a beautiful ViewSonic 14" display and 14.4 modem. It lay unused for flights for so long that, when I took my FF accumulations from AS to AA, I had to get a new number. I kept using it when it was available as a weird Frankensteined Internet web/text amalgamation, and was very sad when it went the way of the dodo.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I remember both - using Eaasy SABRE, (acronym for Semi-Automated Business Research Environment,) CompuServe - and GEnie before that (I moderated the Travel Forum on both). Agreeing with ijgordon, I use ExpertFlyer for some of the functions - but definitely miss Eaasy SABRE.

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

I joined CompuServe back in 1991 and fell in love with Eaasy Sabre. I was heartbroken when they discontinued it.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Since FT has almost any topic that one can imagine you can rest assured that members lamented the demise for eaasy sabre long ago.

Found a thread that was began 22 days before magic111 became a member. Missing eaasysabre ---sigh

It probaby should have been in the Travelbuzz forum but in the year 2000 Travelbuzz was not a forum. Nevertheless today we have a Travelbuzz forum and we are going to send this thread there as the subject is not airline specific

~magic111 -- Moderator AAdvantage forum.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
GEnie & CompuServe / Eassy Sabre

Boy oh boy, those're the good old days for sure - remember People's Express @ EWR in the 80's, $29 OW shuttle to DCA/EWR.

Mid 1980's - I had a GEnie (anyone else remember them or had an account - AOL wasn't even born then or at least hasn't risen to the top dog position) account and also CIS (that's CompuServe) account, which I use to access Eaasy Sabre mainly for flight availablities & booking, also did some HZ booking with it (getting old these days, just a faint recollection - actually found one of those text-based 80 characters wide dot-matrix printout off the pc for one of the trip in 1989.)

Back in those days, it was a monochrome 14" CRT, mouse wasn't needed for flight booking as it was menu-based, a dot-matrix printer parallel linked to an original AT&T 286/XT, maybe 16MB ram, dual floppies (5.25" remember) with a 9,600 Hayes modem. Kept my CIS account (from 87 on, I think) for years after moving back to N.Y. but dropped the GEnie account, which eventually went out of business - probably still have a few CompuServe color magazines down in the basement shop area.

The internet was still emerging & slowly making its way to the masses, but yes, ES was a powerful tool for travelers then. Numerous RT & OW tickets booked with it.

I vaguely recalled using OAG's online edition too around that time but it was still preferable then to carry the pocket OAG guide on trips .... oh, dear lord, so much has changed in the last 25 years (or 30 years if I count the pre-IBM PC days with the Wangwriter WP system running CP/M OS on the huge 8" disk.)

Hmmm .... nowadays, all one need is an iPhone or an Android device or perhaps a netbook, and the rest, as they say, is .... history.

Edit: P.S. - AA number issued then via CIS/ES starting with Mxxxxxx still good today (joined Oct. 1, 1998) although we mostly use the OneWorld #

Last edited by Letitride3c; Sep 3, 2010 at 9:37 am
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:56 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
While we're waxing nostalgic about early booking engines, let's not forget United Connection. Let you easily see and book fares by fare bases. Its functionality hasn't been equaled by any of the airline's website "enhancements"

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 3, 2010 at 10:00 am Reason: correct typo.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:02 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I actually still remember my Compuserve password.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 3:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 11.1MM; 5.9MM Marriott Ambassador; Hertz President Circle, 3.2MM AMEX
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I actually still remember my Compuserve password.
i still use Compuserve for my email and i still receive email to my original xxxxx,xxxx address.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:05 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Oh, yeah, I remember.

I first joined Aadvantage to use Eaasy SABRE. At the time, I was using a Heathkit terminal and 1200 baud modem.... and living in NY. Used it for years as I upgraded computer to computer.

Even though ExpertFlyer has some of the same functionality, it's not really the same - there were things you could do with EaasySABER that you can't do with EF.

Then again, I still remember NY Air from HPN, PeopleExpress, the Eastern Shuttle, 707 service to the west coast, and various other relics of the past.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

Golly yes. I still have, and use, the Aadvantage number I obtained then.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The wikipedia article on Travelocity has a couple of footnote-links to early articles about EasySabre.

From 1992, a detailed walkthru of the booking experience:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all

And from 1989, an explanation of home computer booking:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C1A96F948260

The latter includes this paragraph...
None of the computer shopping services would specify how many people use the travel portion of their product. But industry experts said travel agents should not be overly concerned about losing commissions because individuals buy their own tickets by computer. As the travel industry becomes increasingly competitive and fragmented, they said, people will continue to need the services of experienced travel agents.
Oops
Old Sep 3, 2010, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Oh, yeah, I remember.

I first joined Aadvantage to use Eaasy SABRE..........
Yep me too. Used AA a couple of times but EaaySabre all the time.

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.