Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Eaasy Sabre [easySabre®]

Eaasy Sabre [easySabre®]

Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Yep, I was a CompuServe Travel Forum sysop for a while. I still have a CompuServe account and use that for my personal email.

Those were the days. People felt safe using their real names. I met a lot of fellow CompuServe people in person, and one of those people has become, today, one of my best friends.
CIS TRAVSIG??? What years?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by BungeeJmp
Just thought I'd share my experiences. I, too, used EAASY SABRE when I as on Q-Link. I didn't have a fancy PC, this was my Commodore 64 with 300 baud modem (though I did move to 1200 before demise.)

Anyway, I am pretty certain I only ever used it to book one flight. That was to book my on-line girlfriend a trip to visit. Ah, youth
Ah, QuantumLink. FYI, it originally did not have EZS when I joined in the early 80s. When a friend of mine told me that Compuserve had a service that allowed you to book your own airline tickets, I ran to a Barnes and Noble for a sign-up pack. In those days, CI$, I believe was around $12 an hour.

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
Great thread. Especially for those of us a little longer in the traveling tooth.
YES, I remember Easy SABRE. I used it a lot. Also, I was a very early adopter of Compuserve.
With my TRS Model 3. 1980? 81? That I can't quite remember.
I was on Compuserve every night at 300 and then 1200 baud (wow! 1200 baud! Smokin'!) before going with an IBM machine.

Easy SABRE was awesome. Back then, I typically used American Express for travel. I lived in an area of NY that had an AMEX office near my office. They knew something was wrong when I stopped coming in weekly and booking travel. They asked me, "Are you doing things on your computer?" Funny. Yes, I was "Doing Things" on my computer.

I remember executing my first travel itinerary on SABRE. I also remember, now that someone mentioned it, my COMPUSERVE ID. XXXXX,XXXX. It popped into my head for the first time since the 80's. I think I went from Compuserve to Prodigy around 1990. Don't hold me to the dates. Too long ago.

Thanks for the stroll down travel/computer/good-ole-days lane!
Remember the access command for Sabre on CI$? It was not Go Easy. Bonus points if you know what Go Easy got you on CI$.

By the way, I had my EAASY Sabre account linked to Amex Travel so if I needed a ticket in a hurry (remember, no OLC or electronic tickets then), I could call then with the PNR and they would issue and FedEx the ticket to me.

Was the first digit of your CI$ id a 7 or a 1?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:54 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by Landing Gear

By the way, I had my EAASY Sabre account linked to Amex Travel so if I needed a ticket in a hurry (remember, no OLC or electronic tickets then), I could call then with the PNR and they would issue and FedEx the ticket to me.

Was the first digit of your CI$ id a 7 or a 1?
I actually got my account at Radio Shack when I bought my TRS Model III.
And again, I opted for the WHOPPING 1200 baud external modem. Cost me an extra C note, but what the heck, it was WAY faster than the standard 300 baud!

WHOA! I had forgotten about LINKING! I also linked my AMEX Travel. And yes, I used it quite a few times calling them with the PNR and having the ticket FedEx'd to me. At the time, STATE-OF-THE-ART!

My CI$ ID started with EITHER a 7 or a 1. I thought I knew, but now I'm not SURE! AGH! The problem is, the FIRST set of numbers before the comma started with either a 7 or a 1, and the 2nd set of numbers ALSO started with a 7 or a 1. I THINK my CI$ was 7xxxx,1xxx but I MAY have that in REVERSE. It's simply been too long. Not just a lot of water under the bridge, but a whole ocean under it since then.

I also remember I was one of the first ONLINE TRADERS with Compuserve back then. A company called "MAX ULE" (if memory serves) was featured in a Compuserve newsletter and I opened an account. Sheesh. Compared to today, so archaic. But that's what it was then. Max is probably still around but not scrolling tickers at 1200 baud...

Last edited by RobbieRunner; Jan 28, 2012 at 8:04 am
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner

My CI$ ID started with EITHER a 7 or a 1. I thought I knew, but now I'm not SURE! AGH! The problem is, the FIRST set of numbers before the comma started with either a 7 or a 1, and the 2nd set of numbers ALSO started with a 7 or a 1. I THINK my CI$ was 7xxxx,1xxx but I MAY have that in REVERSE. It's simply been too long. Not just a lot of water under the bridge, but a whole ocean under it since then.
Not exactly. The original CI$ user ids were in the format, 7xxxx,xxxx, although there were not always four digits after the comma. The first digit after the comma in my account number was a 3.

(I seem to recall some people referring to this as an "octal" system but I have no idea what that means.)

When CI$ supposedly ran out of numbers, they went to a new system where the numbers began with 1s. Thus, for a time, when you saw someone with a 1, he or she was identified as a newbie.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 3:24 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I actually found my number! I'm amazed I had a record of it hanging around in my old files.

7xxxx, 1xxx.

I thought so. If I'm not mistaken, 1979 or 1980? I think it was that early that I adopted. At least that's when I bought the TRS Model III. And if memory serves, I think it was only available during nightime hours during the very first year? I can't quite remember.

Last edited by RobbieRunner; Jan 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm
Old Jan 28, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
(I seem to recall some people referring to this as an "octal" system but I have no idea what that means.)
Very simply put, the result of using octal is you don't use the digits 8 or 9 when you count. The next number after 77777 is 100000. Hence the newer accounts starting with 1.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:49 pm

Compuserve and eAAsy Sabre

Compuserve 72265,3xx from 1981 on TRS-80 Model at 300 baud go $6.00 per hour. EAAsy Sabre EAA5xxx not long after. Looked up many flights and used our local travel agent to book them. Many years later my father invested in a travel agency for the perks. They were on Sabre so I was able to send my online bookings directly to their office.
I still use my ES number for my AA account!
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

No reason to resurrect this ten year old thread
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.