Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Bringing My Own Food on-board: Am I Being Offensive? Feedback Needed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing My Own Food on-board: Am I Being Offensive? Feedback Needed.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by dd93003
Ladies and gentlemen....I present to you....everything that's wrong with people today.
No civility at all. It's all about ME, ME, ME.

Bing-da-da-bing.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If I bring food on board I try to bring something totally non offensive, not anything that will make people rows away go "somebody is eating a chili dog from Chili's"

There are times you get the upgrade minutes before boarding, so it shouldn't matter if you are in first or coach, you may not have known you were flying up front.

As long as it's not stinky food, I don't care what you do.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by cordelli

As long as it's not stinky food, I don't care what you do.
I've been on a couple of KE/Asiana flights where the Koreans popped open their kimchis and munched away.

Absolutely wonderful.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Sometimes people are just curious. I wouldn't read too much into it.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Most food I buy at the airport I eat in the airport, the exception is sandwiches from Paradise Bakery in PHX that I take on long flights.

I've never been offended by food anyone brought on, however.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by falconred
I don't think bringing a snack or food for the middle of the flight is inconsiderate.

But I too do not understand / appreciate the people who are chowing down during boarding. On a recent flight I had a window, and it took much longer than usual to get to my seat because the guy in the middle seat was busy eating. A big line formed behind me in the aisle because he had to repack his burger and fries and juggle the extra-large soda to let me get to my seat.
I am guilty of that on occassion if I fly southwest and have a tight connection at MDW or PHX.

If someone is carrying on they have the issue of bin space regardless, and if you are connecting with a tight connection, you may not have enough time to eat in the gate area which is the case with me.

Seeing on WN you don't have assigned seating like on a real airline like Delta and it's first come first serve seating, if I am in the A group, I am going to board with my BP number so I can get the best seat. A lot of times I will want to eat as soon as I am seated so the fries don't get cold (I usually do get McD's at MDW) but if I have food from potbellies then I will usually wait until later in the flight to eat and if I do have McD's I will wait until people get in the window and middle seat before I put the tray table down.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:52 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
Eat whatever you want in Y or First, if you're doing something offensive you better believe someone will tell you about it.
Maybe not on the plane but there will usually be a thread started here.

Count me as another person who says non smelly food only please.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I often will crack open a Dorian fruit when sitting in first. Good way to get the entire cabin to yourself ...
Funny comment, I saw the smiley and appreciate the humor, but anyone who's really ever eaten a durian would know how to spell it!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Tricky one. I go through spells where I cannot eat bland (i.e., american) food. I'm sorry, but I'm bringing a nice homemade rice and curry or a kebab paratha roll on board to eat. I can't eat it in the lounge, but I can certainly eat it once I'm in my seat.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TBD
People may not like it because they're jealous

It is your flight, too. Do what you like....
+1

I've brought food on board, as others have noted, as either the offerings are offal (pun intended), there is no service or due to my schedule I either missed a meal before the flight or will miss it after the flight. I do try to ensure that whatever I do bring isn't extremely smelly.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
I'll eat what I want when I want. If it offends you, don't breathe!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA
Do you think it would be offensive to bring some kimchi on my flight to Seoul next year?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
I'm bringing a nice homemade rice and curry or a kebab paratha roll on board to eat... I can certainly eat it once I'm in my seat.
OK, so we stand corrected, there is something worse than McDonald's you can bring into the cabin.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Personally, I have very few issues with food smells on a plane. I personally don't bring outside food onto planes (or if I do, it's usually travel-friendly foods like trail mix), but that's generally because I'm cheap and perfectly willing to go for a number of hours without food (I'm too "well-padded" anyway). My main "smell" issue is with the stench of avgas during boarding and cheap-swill coffee after meals. (I love good coffee, but I can't stand the stench of airline coffee.)

Originally Posted by SFO777
20 ounce Super Size drink that takes up most of the seat divider
<pedant>20 oz. is hardly super-sized... it's the size of a small bottle of soda or water (the kind you can get from a vending machine). Most truly "super-sized" beverages are 48-64 oz.</pedant>
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Continental PE
I've only had it happen once or twice, but when someone is eating something really obnoxious, I just remove my ratty, sweaty travel sneakers. Hey, at least I'm comfortable, right?

SR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.