Reload this Page >

Wearing seatbelts while seated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wearing seatbelts while seated

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:04 pm

Always on and not too loose. A loose seatbelt is just like having none on at all when you need it in the kind of turbulence where people are flying around the cabin. The problem is that the people who leave it off or very loose are not just a danger to themselves but everyone else in the cabin too.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:40 pm

I was on a plane once that just dropped. The FA's weren't getting out of their seats for anything!

I NEVER have my belt off unless I am going to the bathroom.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL PM
Virtually always leave the seatbelt on in the plane - and, almost never wear a seatbelt in a car. Go figure!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Pretty much always have it on when seated.

Aside: driving without a seatbelt feels weird to me. I can't do it.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:02 pm

Wow, I'm surprised by all the responses. I always take it off when the indicator light turns off.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
My seatbelt is fastened unless I'm actively walking to the lavatory or getting something out of the overhead storage. Much like in a car, there's no reason to jeopardize my safety (and the safety of others) unnecessarily.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by lars32
Wow, I'm surprised by all the responses. I always take it off when the indicator light turns off.
I'm personally quite curious as to why you do this. This isn't meant to be a critical or inflammatory post. It's just that there have been cases of passengers hurt by unexpected rough air, sometimes severely. Why risk not only your safety, but the safety of those around you? Is a seatbelt too uncomfortable for you?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lars32
Why?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:46 pm

I always keep it on.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:33 pm

i always leave mine off. the pressure of the buckle presses against my bladder and sends me to the lav WAAAY more frequently than i would like. its also a headache for the guys who have to let me out.

generally the pilot says if we're approaching particularly nasty turbulence, and then i put it back on. then i take it off again.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Always on and I don't loosen it. I want to be fully protected against unexpected turbulence, which does happen. Those people who get injured asked for it, IMO.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC *Gold
Always on..but loosen it up a bit during flight
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Madinat
i always leave mine off. the pressure of the buckle presses against my bladder and sends me to the lav WAAAY more frequently than i would like. its also a headache for the guys who have to let me out.
If the pressure is discomforting they you're wearing it too tight.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Why?
I'm surprised too. So many people are unreasonable when traveling. It's nice to see that most people are sensible about at least something. I'm not sure why you should seem surprised. I see about 3/4 of the people who take a leak not wash their hands and about half of those who walk out of a cubicle doing more serious business not washing their hands. Knowing that people at least do what they're supposed to with regards to the seatbelt is good.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
If the pressure is discomforting they you're wearing it too tight.
now why didn't i think of that?

i've tried different ways of wearing it, finally just having it so loose that i was not worth wearing. so then i took it off. unfortunately that buckle will always be in the middle, there's no sliding it around to your side, so...yea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.