Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wearing seatbelts while seated

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

Just look at the pax who were seated, but not wearing seatbelts on the UA flight that hit severe turbulence, sending people to the hospital.

Id much rather have it on, then spend a few days at the hospital, or end up six feet under...
+2

It's not that uncomfortable.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Another seat belt "always on" vote here.

I also keep my shoes on during take-off and landing. Decided I'd rather run away from a crashed airplane with shoes on than barefooted. Anyone else do this?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I said it's about 95% on as well, usually loosely enough that I can reach for things like in the seatback pocket. Better safe than sorry.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CPRich
Always on. I've worn one in a car for 40+ years and it just feels odd not having it on. I can't fathom the thinking of folks who click it off as soon as the sign dings and as soon as we clear the taxiway on landing. I can think of bad things that could happen, but can't think of any benefit. Is it really uncomfortable?
Agreed... it does feel odd when its off.

And yes, unless moving to the lav, my seatbelt is on too. I try to loosen it during calm flight sometimes...
Old Aug 15, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Having lived aboard a carrier (including not a few cat shots off and those all too sudden arresting gear stops on return) and recalling the "Good Old Days" when many airline pilots were former Naval Aviators, I wear mine full time, and would prefer a nice 5 point harness, aloft or in my car.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
I can't think of a reason not to have your seatbelt buckled all the time (except back and forth to the lav).
Old Aug 15, 2010, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Another vote for "always on," unless I'm reaching for something in the seat pocket in front of me and I'm fortunate enough to be in a seat where that's not right in my face.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
always stay buckled in...
Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA, EI & VS
Oh definitely buckled in, even when the seat belt sign is off. For me why take the chance, those crafty turbulence can appear and I wouldn't like to be up at the ceiling of the aircraft anytime soon, lol.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Absolutely.

I've always got shoes on until the double ding and for final approach on the same principle.

(On another note it used to be four dings - but like everything else they cut back there too... :P )

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Another seat belt "always on" vote here.

I also keep my shoes on during take-off and landing. Decided I'd rather run away from a crashed airplane with shoes on than barefooted. Anyone else do this?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by tingalex
So, who wears their seatbelts while seated throughout a flight?
Me, because I once pelted my head on the overhead when we encountered unexpected turbulence and my belt was not fastened. Fortunately it was only a small plane so there wasn't far to "fly", as it were, but it hurt...

Neil
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Always on when seated for me too.

The only time I've ever felt it was uncomfortable was when lying down across an empty row of seats on an overnight flight...
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:16 am

About 50% of my flights, I'm already asleep before the seatbelt light goes off. I leave the seatbelt buckled, take off shoes, get headphones & music setup, slump in the corner, and I'm out. It's a gift.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:28 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Always on.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Always on, but loose. This came about after seeing a seated passenger crack his head on the overhead during heavy turbulence about 15 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.