Reload this Page >

Where to buy a suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to buy a suit?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:24 pm

Okay. Thanks OP. This thread has talked me into going on a suit run (and mini-vacation), with my US Air miles. I'm gonna fly to HKG (stopover for 5 days), then BKK (destination for 5 days). I am convinced to go to either Sam's Tailor in Hong Kong or Rajawongse Clothier in Bangkok. I'd like to keep the suits to no more than $300-$350 a piece. I plan to get about 4 suits (grey, navy blue, black, and pinstripe), 10 pants, and 10 shirts. I am still undecided as to which one to go to. Can someone help me narrow it down. I don't know much about suits, but do want to outfit my wardrobe with some decent threads. Should i be fine with either one? Both seem to have a great reputation and seem to charge about the same. Something about buying suits in Bangkok makes me think i will be more likely to get ripped off, given that it is the knock-off capital of the world.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
Originally Posted by Braindrain
?

How come you have the idea that HKG is relatively expensive?
Just a guess, but it could be because Hong Kong is always listed in the top-5 to 10 most expensive cities in the world to live in.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:35 am

5 days is very little time and gives no margin for error - I'd keep my expectations low.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by erik123
5 days is very little time and gives no margin for error - I'd keep my expectations low.
Really. How long would you suggest? Would 7 days (including the weekend) be plenty of time?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by RI2KH2SU
Just a guess, but it could be because Hong Kong is always listed in the top-5 to 10 most expensive cities in the world to live in.
Ok, from a biz's point of view wanting to set up an expat - perhaps.

For a tourist, it's pretty cheap. Not the cheapest in Asia, but still not expensive.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA
I would go to HKG if you love to shop
Be careful in BKK with the "nightlife" which I find intrusive
Both are wonderful for photography and travel
Hotels in HK are really amazing
Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:58 pm

What is the best way to travel back home to the USA with 4 new suits (from Asia), with 10 pairs of trousers, so that they don't get all wrinkled up/damaged on the flights home? Any strategies?, other than just folding them up in a large suitcase, that i'd have to check-in. I've never traveled with one suit before let alone 4.

Can i just squeeze 4 suits into 1 or 2 garment bags and take it as a carry on and have a flight attendant hang them up in a closet aboard the plane? Or would it be too big to even take it as a carry on let alone have the FA allow hanging it up on the plane?

How would u handle this situation?

Last edited by frankiwa; Aug 12, 2010 at 8:36 pm
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by frankiwa
Okay. Thanks OP. This thread has talked me into going on a suit run (and mini-vacation), with my US Air miles. I'm gonna fly to HKG (stopover for 5 days), then BKK (destination for 5 days). I am convinced to go to either Sam's Tailor in Hong Kong or Rajawongse Clothier in Bangkok. I'd like to keep the suits to no more than $300-$350 a piece. I plan to get about 4 suits (grey, navy blue, black, and pinstripe), 10 pants, and 10 shirts. I am still undecided as to which one to go to. Can someone help me narrow it down. I don't know much about suits, but do want to outfit my wardrobe with some decent threads. Should i be fine with either one? Both seem to have a great reputation and seem to charge about the same. Something about buying suits in Bangkok makes me think i will be more likely to get ripped off, given that it is the knock-off capital of the world.
I dont know about Hong Kong but i can gaurantee you that Rajawongse Clothier in Bangkok will give you alot for your money, very honest, and they treat every customer with great respect, whether you are a President or just an Avg Joe. Thats from my experience. The quality of cloth they have is amazing, my cousin owns mills in india that makes fabrics for export who was with me on the trip and said its amazing quality, italian wool and 180+ thread count. Yes the prize it up there, but like i said i order from them till date, they have my measurements, drop them an email with paypal and i get them fedexd to me.

About bringing them home, well, it does not matter how you do it, u will want to get everything laundered before your wear it, specially the shirts/pants. The suit if you put it in a suit case flat it be just fine. i wouldn't carry it on, too much to carry.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO
Originally Posted by frankiwa
What is the best way to travel back home to the USA with 4 new suits (from Asia), with 10 pairs of trousers, so that they don't get all wrinkled up/damaged on the flights home? Any strategies?, other than just folding them up in a large suitcase, that i'd have to check-in. I've never traveled with one suit before let alone 4.

Can i just squeeze 4 suits into 1 or 2 garment bags and take it as a carry on and have a flight attendant hang them up in a closet aboard the plane? Or would it be too big to even take it as a carry on let alone have the FA allow hanging it up on the plane?

How would u handle this situation?
I would buy a suitcase that allows you to hang the suits on a hanger flat within the case which then might get folded. Suits are heavy so you will want to check the bag. There is never a guarantee there will be closet space to hang them.

As long as you are buying a good suit made with good cloth, once you get home and hang it up, the wrinkles should come out on their own. If you are stuck with lots of wrinkles, that might be a sign you got shortchanged on the cloth. A quick trip to the cleaners though will solve any wrinkle problems.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: NZ, QF
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
My former boss, in a very prominent leadership position in a internationally famous east-coast university, would go to Hong Kong every single year to get custom made suits. Hong Kong is the place to go.
What were your former boss's verdict? What were his recommendations? Did he have any nightmares when it came to bespoke suit?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:34 pm

I'll be heading to Rajawongse Clothier in less than a month for a few suits, shirts, etc.

In the emails i have shared with them i have not talked price at all. Is taking the first price they quote considered a no no in bangkok, even if it is fairly reasonable? I mean it isn't a flea market, it is a suit store, but then again it is bangkok! They seem pretty reputable from my research online. I'm looking to spend no more than about $250 per suit for a good wool fabric, great fitting suit, but am unsure of whether or not you are supposed to bargain at a place like Rajawongse Clothier, if they try to quote higher.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:26 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold, LH Senator, …
Originally Posted by yvrdude
Ive had about 80 shirts and 8-10 suits made at Rajas Fashion on Soi 4 in BKK over the past 5 years. I always get the Super 180 fabrics and try to pick the best shirt fabrics and have always been happy. Bobby and Raja always make you feel at home and always do whatever it takes to meet my schedule. I think for the BKK scene they are the top tier. Rajawongse mentioned above is Raja's brither and I've heard good things about them as well. I usually pay about $400 for Super180 suit and 5 shirts. You can get Super 120 probably for $200 range, but the quality difference in the fabric for the 180's is well worth it.

http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/...6?pageNumber=2

BKK makes a fun trip for shopping and relaxing while you get your suit made as well. Great hotels, great food, great people. Good luck!
No, they are NOT top tier. They are just very popular due to a lot of publicity from that article you are quoting. They do some good work and they have good fabric but far from top tier. However the 300-400$ suits with two pairs of pants are a fair deal compared to what you get at a departement store in the States. Especially if you can not wear a suit off the rack without having adjustments made. Make sure to check the back of the suit when they are fitting it. They tend to have wrinkels on the upper back due to sloppy shoulder padding. Another thing I did not like about their suits was the waist of the pants. Very stiff and uncomfortable.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold, LH Senator, …
Originally Posted by longleaf
I'll be heading to Rajawongse Clothier in less than a month for a few suits, shirts, etc.

In the emails i have shared with them i have not talked price at all. Is taking the first price they quote considered a no no in bangkok, even if it is fairly reasonable? I mean it isn't a flea market, it is a suit store, but then again it is bangkok! They seem pretty reputable from my research online. I'm looking to spend no more than about $250 per suit for a good wool fabric, great fitting suit, but am unsure of whether or not you are supposed to bargain at a place like Rajawongse Clothier, if they try to quote higher.
They will give you a price and that's what you pay. You will however be able to talk to them about some free shirts or extras on the suit and you always get at least 1 tie with each suit. At least that is my experience with them. I don't think they will sell you a suit for 250$. But then I only look for the wool cashmere fabric. If you want to get a suit for 250 bucks you might want to try the tailors in Hoi An (Vietnam). Dung in HCMC might be a good call as well but I am not sure he has 250$ suits. I also read some good things about Duc tailor in Hanoi. Have not been there though.

My friends are big fans of the tailors in Shanghai. The fabric I have seen so far was pretty nice and the tailoring was good as well. The shirts however were terrible IMHO.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 4:04 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by flo0816
They will give you a price and that's what you pay. You will however be able to talk to them about some free shirts or extras on the suit and you always get at least 1 tie with each suit.
IMHO, there is nowhere in BKK that does not bargain.

Go in, discuss what you want, get the price, tell them you want to think it over and will come back later. When you come back chances are very good the price will have gotten better--if it didn't get better at the mention of thinking things over.

Don't fight the culture. @:-)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, HON, EK Gold
Originally Posted by levanta
That's not exactly up to everyone's budget to fly to HK to get suits.
You're on a frequent flyer website

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.