Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to buy a suit?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hong Kong, no question

My former boss, in a very prominent leadership position in a internationally famous east-coast university, would go to Hong Kong every single year to get custom made suits. Hong Kong is the place to go.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:02 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation Wow!

Originally Posted by yvrdude
Ive had about 80 shirts and 8-10 suits made at Rajas Fashion on Soi 4 in BKK over the past 5 years. I always get the Super 180 fabrics and try to pick the best shirt fabrics and have always been happy. Bobby and Raja always make you feel at home and always do whatever it takes to meet my schedule. I think for the BKK scene they are the top tier. Rajawongse mentioned above is Raja's brither and I've heard good things about them as well. I usually pay about $400 for Super180 suit and 5 shirts. You can get Super 120 probably for $200 range, but the quality difference in the fabric for the 180's is well worth it.

http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/...6?pageNumber=2

BKK makes a fun trip for shopping and relaxing while you get your suit made as well. Great hotels, great food, great people. Good luck!
Now that's a SMOKIN deal!! Hell, I'd save enough that I could even afford a cappucino at the Blue Parrot at Granville Island (-;
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Singapore, 3rd floor of far east shopping center, see Anthony tan, owner of mode et creations for high quality, good prices, custom fit, stitched suits.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: *G
not many people have the eyes to spot a "good suit" (or, just as relevant, a good "tailor" who measure and/or design and/or cut the suit). the fact that something is advertised as "custom" doesnt mean its tasteful. that 150$ "custom" suit from some village in india? probably not very nice to the discerning

i suggest for suit-tourism on a reasonable budget see W.W. Chan.
a safer home bet is to buy a ralph lauren (polo/mainline not "lauren by ralph lauren" or "chaps") suit and take it for further alteration if needed. ask your rl salesperson for assistance
Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:37 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond. Skyteam Elite Plus. Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Your best prices will be on mainland China or Vietnam.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: QF, AA, BD, PC, HH, Hertz
I have also discovered that in Cambodia it is possible to get a very cheap suit made (less than $100). Don’t have a particular tailor there i would recommend though.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:53 pm

You can fly to New York in sales season and buy a top Italian designer suit for $350 or less - and have it tailored for less than $30. It is highly likely that you'll be happier than with a 'cheap' custom made suit.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN
Go to Hong Kong. It's a wonderful city, and you can have a good suit made for anywhere from $350-up.

Check out Pacific Custom Tailors, William Cheng and Son, Hemrajani Brothers, Jantzen or Sam's.

Be specific and particular, and know what you want. You won't get a lot of styling help.

Once they have your measurements on file and your fit is right, you can order from home.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by longleaf
http://www.mensflair.com/shopping-gu...er-tailors.php

This article doesn't paint Sam's Tailor in the best of light. They don't even do adjustment fittings, according to the article:

"No fitting, no opportunity for adjustments. Just measurements and then the final suit."
Well - I go by my own experience!

My father (and all his colleagues in the the (then) Royal Hong Kong Police) used to go to Sam way back when......

My brother in law wouldn't use any of the other tailors for his suits when he lived there for 15 years....

My husband who is a very awkward size - very tall and skinny went there and got a couple of business suits, and a dinner suit (tux?) was absolutely delighted with all three. He went back for 2 fittings during the holiday. He gave them a week to do it and they were a great fit, and tailored to perfection as were the half dozen shirts made to measure which went along with them.

Total cost for the 3 suits and the shirts was somewhere in the region of what he would have paid for one bespoke suit in the UK.

I also had a skirt suit made for me by Sam and it was one of the few jackets I have ever had which fitted me across the shoulders..... it fitted me beautifully. I also got caught by one of the pullers in for one of the other tailors closer to the harbour and got suckered into a suit and blouse...it looked like the product of a school dressmaking class - lovely material but very poorly tailored, I'd go with Sam any day.

As I said in my first post - the more time you give them - the better the fit and finish. The 12 or even the 24 hour suit won't be as good as the 3-4 day ones, and don't forget the quality of the materials you choose will also determine how good or bad the quality of the finished suit is
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: Starwood
Smile

Bought two tailored suits for $300 at a placed called 'Hong Kong Tailor' in Taipei.

Both super 100 and both finished in 24hours. Im pretty sure it was at Ximending Market. Good luck!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
Originally Posted by BigBopper
Slightly off topic but may I suggest that if you're having a custom made suit to consider getting 2 pairs of pants. The pants wear out much faster than the jacket and it's a great way to extend the longevity of the suit.
+1. My wife suggested this to me a few years ago; brilliant, spot on advice.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Good advice - thank you everyone. I guess I know even less about suits than I thought!

I am surprised, though, that Hong Kong, relatively expensive, would have such inexpensive suits.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
?

How come you have the idea that HKG is relatively expensive?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Omyai
Rajawongse Tailor on Sukhumvit Road (by soi 4). www.dress-for-success.com.
12,000 baht (about $375) for excellent suits. Look at their website, they have been outfitting all US State Dept. employees and visitors for years as well as a few US presidents.
i would agree with Omyai. I have gotten suits done with Rajawongse Clothier and they are amazing. Although, not something u can get done in 24hrs if you want a really good fit. Till date i still order shirts and pants from them, since they have all my measurements on record. They do a great job and have suited alot of top US State Officials. Highly recommend them.

EDIT: I paid about $30 per shirt, $60 per pant, and i think about $350-$375 for each suit. Took me about 2 trials and 3 days to get the suit done.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
My former boss, in a very prominent leadership position in a internationally famous east-coast university, would go to Hong Kong every single year to get custom made suits. Hong Kong is the place to go.
That's not exactly up to everyone's budget to fly to HK to get suits.

Last edited by levanta; Aug 16, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.