Over-reacting, generalization name calling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.

I hope this is the right place for it, as I notice it here in this forum, but the Mods can move it if they feel it is too risque for this board.

So in the past 72 hours, posts by non-novice flyers, non FT newbies have been a bit over the top...a trend that has been going on for awhile.

An airport that has frequent ATC delays, a poster alludes that the carrier doesn't do maint work to weaken the faith in that carrier (unfounded.)

Anyone who defends UA is name called an "apologist". One doesn't have to defend UA, just state that a flyer has some personal responsibility.

A poster who is in a foreign country and doesn't get what he wants claims that those people (geographic stereotype) can't think outside the box.

I post harsh stuff. It's my style, but I don't make up stereotypes, call ames, make up unfounded accusations. I offend, but I do it in a mostly professional way. Sure, I lose some posters just because of my style, but I know that the form a message is delivered reflects on the poster, and that an entire debate can be lost, even if there are valid points, when a poster goes overboard. State a bunch of facts, and put one lie in it, and everything, even the true stuff becomes suspect.

Can we get away from name calling, sensationalistic baseless accusations and stereotypes? For each of the examples above, there are many many more...this is just what I saw in the last 3 days on this forum. Many of the posts no longer exists as they were removed or edited for such content. Do the Mods have to be babysitters, editing out the insults and deleting the responses?
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
...but I don't make up stereotypes, call ames, make up unfounded accusations.
Really?

...posts by non-novice flyers, non FT newbies
How is that different than calling someone a UA apologist, which I really don't think is name-calling.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Really?
What fastair basically said was "experienced flyers/FTers", so in this scenario, I don't see how that's "name calling."

Originally Posted by flyinbob
How is that different than calling someone a UA apologist, which I really don't think is name-calling.
For the most part, the ones using the word "apologist" are people who seem to hate all aspects of [insert person/company], and won't bat an eye at flaming [person/company] or someone defending [person/company] without doing any sort of fact checking or general thinking before making such a post.

And yes, I'm placing a stereotype.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I offend, but I do it in a mostly professional way.
Is that different than the posters you criticize?
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
I offend, but I do it in a mostly professional way.
Well as long as you only offend people in a mostly professional way, by all means, carry on offending them.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by sweeper20
Well as long as you only offend people in a mostly professional way, by all means, carry on offending them.
I speak truth, I don't sugar coat things. People don't always want to hear the truth, some people want to be coddled. Some people feel that a customer is never wrong and cannot be even partially at fault. These people ate often offended at the simple facts. That doesn't make me want to make empty promises are lie just to please them. If this offends, and it does to some, then I will continue.

The thread isn't about taking my post out of context, but rather about posters using exaggerations, sterotypes, lies, false inuendos, and name calling to skew opinion. By falsely attempting to discredit someone with statements of insult or lie, it detracts from a posters, and any legitimate facts in the post's impact. That is the point, that one cannot build an argument, or a house on foundations that lack integrity.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Maybe it's time for you to take a break from the United forum. Have you discussed your concerns with the moderators there?
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Maybe it's time for you to take a break from the United forum. Have you discussed your concerns with the moderators there?
Prior to starting this thread there, I did, as I anticipated it would quickly go off-topic, and people would get personal, then it would be shut down. The mod I spoke with said they would leave it open, and if it deteriorates, then they would act accordingly.

Needless to say, it immediately became about me, vs about the original topic, and has been moved. My point is still the same, there is no need for people to label any poster or group of posters as anything, no need to talk about perceived cultural liabilities, and no need to imply/state baseless statements that have no factual or emperical basis in order to weaken the other side's position.

The thread isn't about any single post, or poster, rather about what I see as a more prevalent style of debate that avoids the neutral facts and tries to emotionally charge simple, logical discussions with irrelevant mis-statements and name calling.

If one feels the need to make it about me, and me alone, feel free to PM me until my inbox is full, which would be in about 5 PMs.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Prior to starting this thread there, I did, as I anticipated it would quickly go off-topic,
Frankly, I'm not sure how it's on topic here...
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
I didn't post it here to begin with, and I refuse to speculate on specific mod actions, as that is against FT TOS.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by sweeper20
Well, I was offended by Fastair quite some time back... and it was in a professional way. I can't even remember what it was, but it was about a specific UA policy. I learned it was actual policy, and while I thought it was unfair, Fastair was quite professional in explaining the reasoning behind the policy. I for one really appreciate Fastair's viewpoints on FT.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:42 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by CPRich
This is the key concern I have as a moderator. FlyerTalk has so many substantive topic threads, and some special forums such as: CommunityBuzz to arrange meetups and exchange personal greetings, Only Randy Petersen to ask FlyerTalk's founder a direct question and a Technical Issues forum. But we don't have a forum about the general housekeeping or climate of FlyerTalk or its members. Perhaps we should. That would be up to FlyerTalk's TalkBoard to recommend.

In the meantime, we do have a FlyerTalk chat network which might be usable for an exchange of views among those on Chat.

For the reasons above, this thread is closed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.