Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airlines have 5th freedom rights within North America?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:41 pm
aw
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage

Off the top of my head I can think of these current ones:

CX JFK-YVR
LA JFK-YYZ

Any others?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:01 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
PR LAS-YVR
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: QFF
QF SFO-YVR. Not being used right now though.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Porbably a lot more than people think. They're just not used due to preference for non-stop flights. An incomprehensive list but in addition to the above mentioned, TG (SEA-YYZ), BA (YUL/YMW-DTW, JFK-YYZ), RG (JFK-YYZ), AR (JFK-YYZ/YUL), JL (YVR-MEX), LY (YYZ-LAX) at least exercised their 5th freedom rights within N. America in the last 20-25 years.

CX also had YVR-SFO which was their 1st 5th freedom operation within N. America. PR actually did YVR-EWR (or some NYC airport) too. QF briefly had YVR-HNL and YYZ-HNL.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:38 am

Every single EU carrier has rights to operate 5th freedom within North America due to open skies agreements between both Canada-EU and USA-EU.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 4:29 pm

For now, one can only dream... but wouldn't it be freaking awesome to be able to book certain foreign carriers for domestic itineraries. For example, SQ for a JFK - LAX r/t. ^ ^
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:51 pm
aw
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Well, QF already flies LAX-JFK on a 744 but it is not allowed to pick up domestic psgrs. I hope that day will come. By the way, didn't NZ fly YVR-HNL at one point also?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:28 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by aw
Well, QF already flies LAX-JFK on a 744 but it is not allowed to pick up domestic psgrs. I hope that day will come. By the way, didn't NZ fly YVR-HNL at one point also?
The US (and the US airlines) are fearful of the competition that international airlines would present if they were allowed to fly pax within the US. I too hope it will happen, and sooner rather than later.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I knows for which the airlines who has fifth freedom traffic rights to USA.

SQ LAX-NRT-SIN, SIN-ICN-SFO
TG BKK-KIX-LAX
NZ AKL-LAX-LHR
QF SYD-LAX-JFK
FJ NAN-LAX
PR LAX-GUM-MNL
AI DEL-MXP-IAD, BOM-LHR-JFK, HYD-FRA-LAX, BOM-LHR-ORD
ET ADD-FCO-IAD
UA BKK-NRT-SFO, BKK-HKG-ORD, HKG-NRT-ORD
9W BRU-YYZ/EWR/JFK

Well, this is all for now.

Regards
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
I knows for which the airlines who has fifth freedom traffic rights to USA.

SQ LAX-NRT-SIN, SIN-ICN-SFO
TG BKK-KIX-LAX
NZ AKL-LAX-LHR
QF SYD-LAX-JFK
FJ NAN-LAX
PR LAX-GUM-MNL
AI DEL-MXP-IAD, BOM-LHR-JFK, HYD-FRA-LAX, BOM-LHR-ORD
ET ADD-FCO-IAD
9W BRU-YYZ/EWR/JFK

Well, this is all for now.

Regards
SQ also flies IAH-DME-SIN and the return.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
I think SIN should be on the UA list somewhere, and maybe HKG-SGN?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by greenery-travel
SQ also flies IAH-DME-SIN and the return.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. SQ has also flies from SIN-FRA-JFK is already gets fifth freedom traffic rights through EU.

Originally Posted by nerd
I think SIN should be on the UA list somewhere, and maybe HKG-SGN?
Yes, there is correct UA has already flies IAD-SFO-HKG-SGN.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:33 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Every single EU carrier has rights to operate 5th freedom within North America due to open skies agreements between both Canada-EU and USA-EU.
I am not so sure about that. IMU, US carriers have 5th Freedom rights between 2 EU member-states (and some DO exercise them, e.g. AA and UA on LHR-BRU v.v.) but I am pretty sure the opposite does not hold in North America. Certainly no 5th freedom rights for ANY foreign carrier within the USA: talk about protectionism...
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by nomad1974
I am not so sure about that. IMU, US carriers have 5th Freedom rights between 2 EU member-states (and some DO exercise them, e.g. AA and UA on LHR-BRU v.v.) but I am pretty sure the opposite does not hold in North America. Certainly no 5th freedom rights for ANY foreign carrier within the USA: talk about protectionism...
I have not really heard of people taking US-based airlines to fly intra-EU - at least in recent years, though I have heard of people taking US-based airlines to fly from the EU to points beyond (eg: DL 238 which goes ATL - AMS - BOM; pax booking DL 238 as a r/t AMS - BOM).

As a side note, for purposes of booking air travel, AFAIK, the EU is still treated as a group of individual nations rather than a single entity. Hence having the ability to book a US carrier for flights between France and Germany would be treated differently than the ability to book a US carrier for flights between CDG and NCE.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 2:01 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by greenery-travel
I have not really heard of people taking US-based airlines to fly intra-EU - at least in recent years, though I have heard of people taking US-based airlines to fly from the EU to points beyond (eg: DL 238 which goes ATL - AMS - BOM; pax booking DL 238 as a r/t AMS - BOM).

As a side note, for purposes of booking air travel, AFAIK, the EU is still treated as a group of individual nations rather than a single entity. Hence having the ability to book a US carrier for flights between France and Germany would be treated differently than the ability to book a US carrier for flights between CDG and NCE.
I have stated 2 examples in my previous post. AA and UA between LHR and BRU.

The "Open Skies" agreement is between the European Commission, on behalf of the EU as a whole, and the USA. Though, I am not 100% sure if US airlines can operate domestic flights within EU member-states. Any EU airline certainly can (and many do!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.