Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revenue Maximizer!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Revenue Maximizer!

We all know Yield Management is a big priority for airlines but is also a strange and convoluted business.

Instead of fare buckets, take the Optimum revenue mix and assign corresponding days out from the flight. i.e. 6 months, 90 days, 30 days, 14 days, 7 days, 3 days, 1day. Make available the same mix of seats as they would in the fare buckets and then auction those seats online via your web site with the auction end date being those days out. There would be no need for a YM department and eventually you could also eliminate most reservation agents and/or just convert them to customer service staff. I am sure a auction would maximize revs better then any current process now does. So more revenue with less cost, talk about a win-win.

What is wrong with this idea?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 3:20 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Can you give an example? I can't follow.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:04 am

Passengers don't want to wait for an "auction end date" to make their bookings. If I need to make a booking, I need to make it now - not in 3 days time because that is your artificial "end date".
Old Jun 12, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Every market is fluid and you would still need a department to manage and adjust the auctions, set minimum prices, etc. I don't think it would be less cost. You now have to deal with fake bidders, credit cards that don't go through after the auction, and other hassles.

Also, a $5 price difference is known to make people book away, even if it means a 10 hour connection. That type of customer is not going to go for the auction method where they might end up paying more than another auction, or a fixed price site.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I can't see the public wanting to have to wait until certain deadlines to get tickets, only to find they didn't 'win' and need to wait until the next deadline to pay more and see if maybe they get tickets the next go=round. I suspect most people want to buy a ticket and be done.

"I'd love to be a bridesmaid at your wedding. I'll let you know next Friday whether I can get tickets at a price I'm willing to pay. If not, I might have another shot 14 days later. I'll let you know then so you can finish your planning..."
Old Jun 12, 2010, 7:47 am

I love the idea. It gives me an excuse for not making it to see the client in Detroit ("Sorry boss, I was outbid at the last minute. Now the bidding has closed for that date.").
Old Jun 12, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I thank the OP for making me smile so early on a Sunday morning. I suspect he may be Wilf Lunn in disguise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.