Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! two separate tickets caused issues

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Help! two separate tickets caused issues

I recently booked two separate round-trip tickets(as it is cheaper) through DIFFERENT travel websites:
Houston-Moscow
Moscow-Beijing

If I have check-in luggage, that means I have to go through custom in Moscow and then claim bags. However, I am a Chinese passport holder, which means I need a transit visa if I get out of the custom. I have decided to not get the visa as it is $131.

Q1:If I don't check in any bags in Houston, do you think I still need to get out of custom in Moscow in order to get to the gate for my next flight to Beijing? Are there any airports like that which require custom clearance between international flight transit?

Q2: By the time I leave Houston, it would still be too early to check-in online for my flight to Beijing. So do you think I can walk straight to the gate for the Beijing flight after I arrive in Moscow, and check-in & get my boarding pass there?

Thanks!

Addition: From Houston-Moscow(DME) is through Singapore Air.
From Moscow(DME)-Dubai-Beijing is through Emirates Air.

Last edited by jsun327; May 26, 2010 at 7:26 pm
Old May 26, 2010, 4:11 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Welcome to FT. I'll answer your questions (with more questions) in about an hour or so by editing this post you're reading now. Just want to welcome you first.
Old May 26, 2010, 4:43 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Presumably you are flying via SVO and not DME; there is airside transit at Terminal 2 so no problem. You can also check-in there as long as you have your ticket number (not just the PNR but actual ticket number, even if e-ticket). As for interlining bags, most airlines will interline on separate tickets (some won't), so it all depends upon whom you are flying. If it is SU, almost anything is possible with a USD 100 bill.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

What are the airlines involved? That makes a pretty big difference. I'm guessing SQ for the IAH-DME segment. What is the other one?
Old May 26, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by jsun327
Q1:If I don't check in any bags in Houston, do you think I still need to get out of custom in Moscow in order to get to the gate for my next flight to Beijing? Are there any airports like that which require custom clearance between international flight transit?
Call the airline that you're using to Moscow and verify that they have a baggage interline agreement with the onward carrier @ Moscow.

Originally Posted by jsun327
Q2: By the time I leave Houston, it would still be too early to check-in online for my flight to Beijing. So do you think I can walk straight to the gate for the Beijing flight after I arrive in Moscow, and check-in & get my boarding pass there?
Yes. Or you can go to a transit desk, if Moscow has such a system. Most international airports have transit desks to issue your boarding passes.

Welcome to FT.
Old May 26, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
I've never tried this before, I'm wondering if the airline will check that you have a visa to enter Russia before letting you on the flight to Moscow? Might want to confirm that even if you'll end up in a secure zone to transfer you'll be allowed to board the flight to get there!
Old May 26, 2010, 11:22 am

Assuming the flights connect at DME, see the airport's website on connections. The same applies for transit through SVO.

No Russian visa is required if you don't leave the international transit area. If you do, or have to switch airports you need some sort of visa. You will probably have to show the airline taking you to Moscow the reservation for the continuing flight to show you're not entering the country.

If you do arrive at DME and depart from SVO, you're in for a world of hurt. You'll need a transit visa and allow many hours to do the transfer. I only bring this up because IAH-Moscow implies the Singapore Air flight which arrives at DME. However, there are no non-stops from DME to Beijing, so either you connect in another city, or you're leaving from SVO which does have nonstops to Beijing.
Old May 26, 2010, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanh
Assuming the flights connect at DME, see the airport's website on connections. The same applies for transit through SVO.

No Russian visa is required if you don't leave the international transit area. If you do, or have to switch airports you need some sort of visa. You will probably have to show the airline taking you to Moscow the reservation for the continuing flight to show you're not entering the country.

If you do arrive at DME and depart from SVO, you're in for a world of hurt. You'll need a transit visa and allow many hours to do the transfer. I only bring this up because IAH-Moscow implies the Singapore Air flight which arrives at DME. However, there are no non-stops from DME to Beijing, so either you connect in another city, or you're leaving from SVO which does have nonstops to Beijing.
Alanh,

You are right, from Houston-Moscow(DME) is through Singapore airline. From Moscow(DME, thankfully it is the same airport as I arrive) to Beijing is through Emirates Airline which would have a stop in Dubai. However, since the transit in Dubai is part of the itinerary, I think I should be fine.

Did you mean if the next flight also departs from DME, then I will not be required to go through custom, right? Thanks~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.