Being stopped at customs for having heavier bags on your flight home

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being stopped at customs for having heavier bags on your flight home

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan P
This is odd to me. Every time we fly to China we leave with carry-on only. When we return we have completely full suit cases. Always declared the value and have never had them open them up.
Old May 25, 2010, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by signmeup
Hey everyone. I heard yesterday from someone who said this happened to her that they were stopped at customs to have their bags inspected after returning from the USA to France, apparently because their bags were (significantly I guess) heavier.

op is going to france, not from france.

no can keep track of weights at customs. i think they look for electronics and cameras.
Old May 25, 2010, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For checked-in items that are not oversized/overweight/irregular/special handling items, is bag weight routinely stored in the PNRs by any airlines?

PNRs do get forwarded and checked by authorities in some countries, but that is not standard and routinely applied to all arriving passengers in most countries. In most EU countries' airports, customs checks don't involve a reliance upon the PNR data as much as flagging down passengers with multiple large suitcases originating outside of the EU (or a subset of EU countries).
Old May 27, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by GUWonder
For checked-in items that are not oversized/overweight/irregular/special handling items, is bag weight routinely stored in the PNRs by any airlines?
I can not speak for all carriers, but all bags should be weighed: if the bag is not heavy, nothing special is noted. If heavy, this is entered when printing the tag and is part of the PNR. The sole purpose of this is for weight and balance. Oversize, irregular... are all noted for reasons such as the extra space they take up, limited liability....
Old May 27, 2010, 9:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
At LAX, on my first return from SIN in 2002, Customs asked was how long was I gone? I told them I was in for SIN 3 days. I should have said I was gone from home for 5 days. I had 3 bags and I believe that may have been the reason that I got the secondary. They asked me how could I afford to travel. I said I had a rental property that gave me income every month greater than what the SIN trip cost. (this was in the day when LAX-SIN was less than $500. ). I also said my apt rent was <10% of my employment income so I had plenty of extra $ for travel. I bought a bag in SIN along with alot of gifts and was well under the $800 limit. I answered all their questions and had my local govt ID with me. I had another flight to catch to ONT but was able to make the flight.

After that trip, I responded that I was gone from home for 5 days for similar trips. Never any secondary after that.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by signmeup
Hey everyone. I heard yesterday from someone who said this happened to her that they were stopped at customs to have their bags inspected after returning from the USA to France, apparently because their bags were (significantly I guess) heavier.

Has anyone else heard of such a thing? Is this likely? I've traveled the same route several times and have never been stopped. I also have an American passport though and the customs officials at CDG barely open my passport to stamp it. I've also gone to the US with 1 light checked bag and come back with it filled to the limit. Nothing.

Any truth to this in your opinion?
I currently reside in France and travel frequently to/from the US, China, Korea and often on a RTW ticket (about 20 trips/year). I have been stopped only once on a flight from Shanghai with a larger suitcase (but under weight limits) that was only scanned and never opened.

I've walked *into* France with boxes that were clearly American wine and fish, and aside from laughter ("why would you bring swill into France?") I've never been stopped.

Therefore my personal experience is that size/weight really doesn't have anything to do with it; but your departure location may (ie China). Remember that France is *very* sensitive to counterfeit goods and if you're caught with even "fun" counterfeits (like the worlds cheapest "rolez" watch) they'll throw the book at you "French style".
Old May 29, 2010, 3:18 am

Location: Usually Paris and Rome, but could be just about anywhere
Programs: Flying Blue
I too always remove the "heavy" tags from my bags when I'm carrying a lot of stuff. It seems to work.
Old May 29, 2010, 3:53 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
I occasionally bring things home in cardboard boxes if I don't have a spare suitcase. On nearly every occasion, I get stopped at Swiss customs and asked what's in the box and how much I paid for it. They're always very friendly, but they never seem to miss a penny of duty if they can collect it...

Got caught returning from a trip recently -- had an item that cost about CHF380- packaged in a box, and had the receipts ready to go as I knew we would get stopped for secondary. My wife and I had planned to split the item over our duty-free allowance of CHF200- per person, so I was feeling quite smug.

...until the Customs guy told me that you can't split individual items. So we paid duty on the full 380.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chemist661
They asked me how could I afford to travel. I said I had a rental property that gave me income every month greater than what the SIN trip cost.
Can they do that? And what do they expect to learn from it? Even if the true answer is "I'm a mule for a drug-smuggling ring", anyone with laf a brain would have a plausible, innocuouc answer ready.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.