Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Middle name instead of Last name on ticket-will I board??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle name instead of Last name on ticket-will I board??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Question Middle name instead of Last name on ticket-will I board??

I am flying tomorrow and just noticed a mistake I had made entering my name when buying the ticket.And now I am really worried as to what to do . Will they allow me to board??
Here is my scenario[actual names changed for obvious reasons]::

My Driver License lists my name as Robinson,James,K with Robinson being last name,James-first name,middle initial-K. K stands for Keith but it is not spelled out in full on the license ,just the initial is listed .

I was checking in online today and noticed that I entered my middle name Keith as my last name instead of Robinson. I entered my name as James Robinson Keith instead of using Robinson as my last name-- I entered Robinson as my middle name . How stupid of me not to have noticed it at that time??

But the boarding passes online are issued only with the first and last names-- So for me it is with first and middle name. So what do I do?? I am very worried that they may deny boarding tomorrow?? Do I call the airlines now ? Or do I just check in regularly tomorrow and inform the TSA official or the gate agent of this mistake I made.

I am feeling really stupid -- b`cos I am not an occasional traveler and travel atleast once a month and just made this silly error.So what are my options?? Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
I go by my middle name with a first initial and book my tickets that way. My passport shows all names and I've never had a problem. However, if you have no ID that shows your middle name, I'd get to the airport early and check in with an agent at the ticket counter. They should be able to re-ticket you if they think that's necessary.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

A follow up to my issue. I called the airlines and explained this error. They said they wanted $150 to make the switch. This is just ridiculous !! When I said it is a typo,just that the middle and last names have been switched and my passport has all the full name - the agent said that they wanted 150 or I could just leave it as it is if I want.

Ridiculous-- 150 just to switch ?? Where did the ""For security reasons"" go now?? Just confirms the fact --these really stupid clauses are for money only and not for any security.

I just left it as it is. I will get to the airport early- and take my DL,passport and explain the situation. Hopefully , there are no problems at check in.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:03 pm

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
Originally Posted by Ginger K
I go by my middle name with a first initial and book my tickets that way. My passport shows all names and I've never had a problem. However, if you have no ID that shows your middle name, I'd get to the airport early and check in with an agent at the ticket counter. They should be able to re-ticket you if they think that's necessary.
His problem is different than yours, his middle name is listed as his sir name....meaning that the ticket was issued with a wrong last name. The ticket agent has to change this or you will be denied boarding regardless of your passport showing that the sir name listed is actually your middle name.....as your last name is not on the ticket. Seems like a quick fix, but if you get a dreaded "bad agent" you might be in for some pain on this......as they might be looking for some fee to change names on the ticket.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:07 pm

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
.....just saw that you posted a few seconds before me.......yeah, they always want these fees........when you get to the airport, make sure that you go to the ticket counter and possibly find a nice agent to help you....if not, you are going to have to pay the fee.....they won't allow boarding with a wrong sir name. I am from Brasil and have two last names.....I have had this problem before, myself.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.I checked in online and the boarding passes were available. I have no checked baggage. So can I just take the boarding passes and go directly to the security check and give the TSA agent my boarding pass and my passport??
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by deltheking
Thanks for the reply.I checked in online and the boarding passes were available. I have no checked baggage. So can I just take the boarding passes and go directly to the security check and give the TSA agent my boarding pass and my passport??
....the boarding pass will not match your ID.....this is definitely grounds for them to deny your entry to the gate area.....and deny boarding if they have a check at the gate. It seems best that you try to get them to change it to your proper last name. In any case, good luck.^
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by maskedavenger
....the boarding pass will not match your ID.....this is definitely grounds for them to deny your entry to the gate area.....and deny boarding if they have a check at the gate. It seems best that you try to get them to change it to your proper last name. In any case, good luck.^
If the OP gets to the airport earlier enough, attempting to go through security first (and showing your passport--with your middle name--as ID, rather than your driver's license) may just work. If it doesn't, you could then go to the ticket counter and ask them if they could correct the ticket. Another option would be to buy a fully-refundable ticket to some other destination, clear security using that ticket, and then refund it. Then travel on your original ticket.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:49 pm

Ridiculous-- 150 just to switch ?? Where did the ""For security reasons"" go now?? Just confirms the fact --these really stupid clauses are for money only and not for any security.
The ID check by the airlines has been for revenue protection for a while. Say employee X is supposed to go to a meeting and buys a ticket 28 days in advance at $250. Employee X gets sick and Y needs to fill in. Now the company must shell out $700 for a ticket 3 days in advance. That's what the airlines want.

You claim it is a simple typo. the airlines think it is someone trying to dodge the change fee.

(i agree the fee is stupid, just presenting the airline's side).
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by merrickdb
If the OP gets to the airport earlier enough, attempting to go through security first (and showing your passport--with your middle name--as ID, rather than your driver's license) may just work. If it doesn't, you could then go to the ticket counter and ask them if they could correct the ticket. Another option would be to buy a fully-refundable ticket to some other destination, clear security using that ticket, and then refund it. Then travel on your original ticket.
But isn`t that illegal?? What if the flight is delayed or rerouted? Or if the passenger has to recheck again?? Is this scenario quite common?
I am lost now. I thought my passport with the middle name would be OK but I guess it is much more serious.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gj83
The ID check by the airlines has been for revenue protection for a while. Say employee X is supposed to go to a meeting and buys a ticket 28 days in advance at $250. Employee X gets sick and Y needs to fill in. Now the company must shell out $700 for a ticket 3 days in advance. That's what the airlines want.

You claim it is a simple typo. the airlines think it is someone trying to dodge the change fee.

(i agree the fee is stupid, just presenting the airline's side).
Yup ,agree -- if different names,then must not be permitted. The scenario you mention is acceptable on the airline`s part. But here it is rather case of switching the middle and last names for each other. Not a different name or a spelling mistake. If your name is listed as A B C and you entered it as B A C , dont know if the change fee is justified. Southwest has more liberal policies in this regard compared to the legacies.

Also now they have the date of birth info while booking tickets.. So again just a ridiculous fee that is just not on. Southwest doesn`t fly to where I am going, so unfortunately have to use a legacy.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:09 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
But isn`t that illegal?? What if the flight is delayed or rerouted? Or if the passenger has to recheck again?? Is this scenario quite common?
I am lost now. I thought my passport with the middle name would be OK but I guess it is much more serious.
I suspect you can get through security fine showing your passport and boarding pass. I wouldn't even mention it to security. Chances are they won't notice. If they do, play dumb and say you didn't even notice you'd typed your name incorrectly.

I'm not sure there's anything illegal about my idea of going through security with a refundable ticket. I think many on here do it somewhat frequently to access lounges. You're still properly clearing security.

I wouldn't worry too much. I think it's highly unlikely you'll have to pay any re-issue fee. Attempt to confidently go through security like nothing's wrong, if the TSA notices, be really nice and apologetic, and if that fails be really nice to a ticket agent. I'm sure somewhere along the way you'll be allowed to get on the flight without any additional charges.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone for your responses. A follow up to my flight. I used my passport that had all the 3 names instead of my DL and everything was perfect. I am glad I did not pay the absurd $150 "name change" fee !!

And you can bet,I will be extremely careful the next time I am entering my name. But I just dont know how I could make such a silly error?? I buy a lot of tickets online for my family and me and never have done this.. But yes, I am even more careful from now on !!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
You asked initially about clearing security.
THIS is one way to clear security.
There is NOTHING, repeat NOTHING "illegal" or even remotely objectionable about buying refundable tix and then ACTUALLY refunding them.

Dave
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bseller
You asked initially about clearing security.
THIS is one way to clear security.
There is NOTHING, repeat NOTHING "illegal" or even remotely objectionable about buying refundable tix and then ACTUALLY refunding them.

Dave
My " illegal "query was for -- using refundable tickets to clear security even though you have no intention of using them and also having a different ticket with the mismatched middle and last names. So from what I have being seeing from the responses--this is perfectly OK. I did not know this. Maybe something to keep in mind if such a mistake ever happens again.

Also I know this scenario may never happen-- but what if the flight has been delayed or cancelled for security reasons and all the passengers have to deplane.And the TSA security and police is called to investigate. Then they would check the ID's and Boarding passes of all the people who boarded and also ask some preliminary questions to all passengers. They could then see that your BP and your DL dont match and then further question you as to how you boarded. I know it`s certainly a very very improbable scenario and something that may never occur ,, but what should a person do if he ends up in that situation ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.