Wiki Posts
Search

Wait versus Buy Today for an airline tix

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2010, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold Pref. Rwds, Mariott Gold, AA Gold
Wait versus Buy Today for an airline tix

Been a long time reader, but just joined the forums!

I've been tracking one way legs from NYC (JFK or LGA) to LAS, non-stop. I've seen Virgin for $199 from JFK to LAS and Delta $199 from LAS to JFK.

When I see how many seats are available, most of the aircraft it still open. Should that mean fares will drop further? Is this a good way to try to determine wait versus buy now? Is there a better way to determine wait versus buy now? I am booking for 5 people so even $20 difference will be pretty large.

Looking forward to your feedback!

ByB
Old Apr 11, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
199$ for NYC-LAS? I really don't think it's got much to drop! In fact I think that's a pretty darn low fare...

HTSC
Old Apr 11, 2010, 3:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk

Pricing has to do with so many other factors besides how many empty seats there are on a plane. They run huge statistical analysis to know pretty much how many seats they can sell and at what price to make as much money as they need to for the flight. Don't keep thinking empty seats will mean lower fares as it gets closer to flight date.

Bing has historical fares if that will help.

Not sure when you are flying, but if it's 199 for a one way fare that's pretty high, considering round trip can be just over $200 total cost. American and others have one way fares just over $100 with one stop, Jet Blue $140 one way non stop.

Which dates are you looking at, and do they have to be non stop?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold Pref. Rwds, Mariott Gold, AA Gold
Thanks for the reponses, yes... one way is preferred. The $199 is one-way only. Im looking to leave 7/4 am and return 7/8 in the am. A round trip price, non-stop for morning flights is 450+... but if you do separate one-way legs, its cheaper.

Cordelli, you mentioned Bing has historical fare info, can you point me to that, can't see to loctate that.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
bing
Travel on the left hand side
Put in your details
If you pick airports they track it should be on top of the listing like this

And you can click on it for more details. There have been a couple of threads as to if it's valid information or not and if it's worth waiting. My experience has been when they say it's going to stay the same or go down it's always stayed the same for my flights, never going down, but I don't use them enough to say if that's always the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.