Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the best way to look for cheap multi-city flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

We're planning a trip to Italy this April and I was wondering what the best way is to look for cheap multi-city flights. The itinerary I have in my mind so far is flying from NYC to MIL on April 16, arriving April 17, taking trains to Venice, Florence, and Rome, then flying back from ROM on April 25. It's currently pricing around $750-800. Is this a good price already? We're pretty flexible on the dates, but it seems like a weekend to weekend trip is the best way to make the most of it.

What's the best way to look for multi-city flights like these? I've tried pricing one way fares by themselves but they come out outrageously priced compared to simple roundtrip flights.

Any other itinerary suggestions would also be welcome! Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:04 am

Most of the Usual Suspect online sites have a multi-city booking option. I've used them to book flights to the UK that accommodate my desire to avoid night flights across the Atlantic. E.g., RDU-BOS-LHR-LGY-RDU. I like to use ITA to find flights and then book elsewhere.

That $750-$800 for NYC-MIL-ROM-NYC is on a par with prices I'm seeing now for flights from RDU to the UK and back. I'd guess prices will not drop meaningfully in the few weeks before you want to travel.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:10 am

try www kayak com
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The prices to Europe from the US never went down like they usually do this year, that's about the expected costs. You may save a few dollars by traveling on a Weekday, but it won't be significant.

As to the schedule, I think you are trying to put way too much into one week by visiting and going between Rome, Milan, Florence, and Venice. A week would be cutting it close for just Florence and Rome.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
your trip is called an open jaw and is bookable using the multi city function on web sites....generally, the open jaw must be shorter than the either of the other legs.....for future use, an open jaw may be booked a to b w/ return to c [a-c is the oj]...$800 is reasonable, imho...april is pretty close, so don't wait to long.....good luck..
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:57 pm

Online travel aggregators like travelocity.com and expedia.com should give you plenty of options for multi-city flights. You can choose the best deal.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Kayak
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medalion
try http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.