Wiki Posts
Search

Car service: to tip or not to tip?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Car service: to tip or not to tip?

I sometimes receive car service from the airport to my hotel. I get invited to give talks, and the people sponsoring these talks will hire car service for me. These are the classic, black, Lincoln town-car type deals with a driver and no meter, etc.

When I leave the car, there is no transaction of money; the car is already paid for. However, I am not sure if I am supposed to tip those drivers or is it included in the total fare? I know that regular metered taxi's one gives a tip, but what about when one receives paid car service?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
My travel agent always sends a car service to carry Mrs Paint Horse and I back and forth to the airport. Usually, but not always, the driver is the owner of the service she uses. Based on her advice I tip him 10 dollars each way. The drive is about 50 miles each way.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:42 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Most car services I have arranged have included the gratuity as part of the service.... you can certainly tip more if you received some service you wanted to recognize... but otherwise, I am guessing the person who paid for the service also paid a tip.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I agree with wharvey. The service that I use at home goes out of their way to remind me that the total fare paid includes a gratuity and that I do not have to provide one. That said, when I encounter a driver that does more than expected, demonstrates superior customer service, etc. I will sometimes give a $10 tip and say "enjoy a Starbucks coffee" or "put this towards your lunch/dinner."
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:39 pm

Check with your booking agent to see if the gratuity is prepaid.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
I think that a 10 or a 20 is appropriate. Whenever I use a car service, the driver carries our luggage (from our front door and/or from carousel).
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I only give a gratuity if the service is exceptional. rarely otherwise.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
I think that a 10 or a 20 is appropriate. Whenever I use a car service, the driver carries our luggage (from our front door and/or from carousel).
im starting to think im not tipping very well. I take a car service on a regular basis. the fare is usually 28 and i tip $6 which is slightly more than 20%. Am i under tipping?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:06 pm

Tipping Pays Off

I always tip the car service driver especially since I am partial to one company that offers the best service that suits my needs. When I book with them for a Lincoln Towncar they always upgrade me to the stretch limo when its available. If they cannot offer me the upgrade they have my favorite cold beer or red wine waiting for me. In the stretch limo my favorite drinks are waiting in the mini-fridge with trail mix and other snacks. They always try to get me the same driver who knows me and where I live etc.

So tipping shows them how much I appreciate their service. They know what I like and where I need to go. The driver is always at my house 15 minutes before the time I ask for and will help me load my bags and meets me at the baggage claim.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
I know some people on FT love to hate on tipping but I always tip these drivers, usually $20. These are hard-working folks who work long hours and at odd times such as nights and weekends. I have never had a bad experience using one of these companies. Those of us who are lucky to be able to use these services are probably doing all right in the financial department. Why not share a bit with people who make our lives a bit more comfortable?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:18 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by njxbean
im starting to think im not tipping very well. I take a car service on a regular basis. the fare is usually 28 and i tip $6 which is slightly more than 20%. Am i under tipping?
IMHO, 20% is quite generous.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by DrMaturin
I know some people on FT love to hate on tipping but I always tip these drivers, usually $20. These are hard-working folks who work long hours and at odd times such as nights and weekends. I have never had a bad experience using one of these companies. Those of us who are lucky to be able to use these services are probably doing all right in the financial department. Why not share a bit with people who make our lives a bit more comfortable?
Are you tipping $20 on top of the fare? What is the actuall fare? Or for a ride that is already paid for?

How much would you tip on a $28 fare? I feel like i am under tipping now and i am usually a good tipper and always try to tip 20%.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:41 am

The rule is: if it moves, tip it.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I take a car service now and then and it's about a 45 minute drive to my destination. The cost is $60 (Lincoln Town Car or Mercedes S class mind you). I usually hand $70 to the driver. Always for car service.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by njxbean
Are you tipping $20 on top of the fare? What is the actuall fare? Or for a ride that is already paid for?

How much would you tip on a $28 fare? I feel like i am under tipping now and i am usually a good tipper and always try to tip 20%.
The only times I've used limo services is when they are paid for by others, such as when I'm invited to give a talk or do consulting. I don't actually know what the fare is in these cases. It's quite possible that gratuity is pre-paid as well. I don't care, I tip anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.