Appropriate to recline seat in Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Appropriate to recline seat in Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Wow, a seat-recline thread on FT! What a novel idea! I can't believe we haven't discussed this before!!!!

Originally Posted by zrs70
Let's be honest. Does reclining the seat really help us to sleep or rest? Or is it the psychology of retaining the freedom to do something?
Um, I don't know about you, but I usually sleep laying down. So, yes, reclining helps me to sleep and/or rest, as reclined is closer to my normal sleep position than upright.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
As I've posted elsewhere, the real problem here is that the seats were designed assuming a more generous seat pitch than the airlines are actually giving. It wouldn't be the first time there's a finger-pointing disconnect between manufacturers and airlines. Boeing really blew it with their 787 and giving airlines a choice about 8 wider or 9 narrower seats across (yeah, and the 747 will have a lounge upstairs. Don't they learn from past wrong assumptions?). Most airlines have gone with the narrow configuration, even though the LAST thing airlines should be doing is trying to narrow the seat width (That's even worse than what they've done with the seat pitch!) As Boeing is quick to point out, airlines decide the seat pitch, but the end result of all of it is that the passenger gets the shaft. Bean-counter planes like the 737-800 aren't known for comfort, either, at least in coach.

On seat-pitch-stingy ULCCs like Spirit or Air Asia I don't tend to recline the seat. Thankfully those are usually short hauls. Longer hauls are different.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Yes, and when you involve the flight attendant in your disagreement with a fellow passenger, given the current climate of "security" on an airplane, expect the police to meet you upon arrival. Worse yet, expect the pilot to divert the flight to have you taken off the plane.

Many ridiculous things are done aboard an aircraft nowadays in the name of security.
I agree that many ridiculous things are done on board aircraft in the name of security, but a polite request for help from cabin crew would normally not, and certainly should not, result in such a situation.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:04 am

"It's my right, IT'S MY RIGHT!!!!" (bangs fists onto tray table in the manner of small child).
Agreed. I can't stand it when people have such a sense of entitlement that they think they have the right to forbid another passenger to recline.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: UA1K, AVIS First, Marriott Gold, *wood Gold
There's no button on the back of the seat.

That's a clue.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:20 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

This seat-recline thread started elsewhere and was moved to this forum. We're happy to keep it open for discussion but only so long as members adhere to the FT Rules, such as debating the topic and avoiding personalized remarks directed to members. (One non-compliant post was removed.) Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:33 am
yad

Programs: CO Plat
If you recline and the person in front of you reclines, you have the same amount of space as if neither of you reclined. It's just shaped differently. Personally I find this "both-reclining" shape more comfortable, while others might prefer the "neither-reclining" shape, but either way it seems absurd to claim that it's rude to prefer one to the other.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:50 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by RustyC
Boeing really blew it with their 787 and giving airlines a choice about 8 wider or 9 narrower seats across (yeah, and the 747 will have a lounge upstairs. Don't they learn from past wrong assumptions?). Most airlines have gone with the narrow configuration, even though the LAST thing airlines should be doing is trying to narrow the seat width (That's even worse than what they've done with the seat pitch!)
Supposedly, the seat width in the 9 across setup is 17", which is the same as in many other airplanes.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I have not been in economy for long trips for decades, but I often am for short ones, sometimes as long as three hours. I rarely recline, mostly because it seems not to be more comfortable to me, but if the person ahead of me does i frequently do to, because otherwise I am immobilized. To ask somebody not to recline is the height of hypocrisy, in my view. It is a right to do so, if you wish. It is courteous to do so gradually so as to allow the person behind an opportunity to avoid dislocated bones, but it still is your right.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:13 am

We really need a "peeves" sticky, where all the seat reclining, bare feet, feet on bulkhead, etc., posts could go.

IMHO coach pitch is too tight to allow reclining, but since they do allow it I have to live with it. I've seen designs where reclining the seat takes your own legroom, but I've never seen any in real life.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrs70
Let's be honest. Does reclining the seat really help us to sleep or rest? Or is it the psychology of retaining the freedom to do something?
Reclining the seat really helps me to sleep or rest. "Psychology of retaining the freedom to do something"? You can't be serious.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swixo

You can always pretend there is no one behind you, and that reclining wont bother anyone - but that's not always the case.

It may be your right to push the recline button and slide back. It is mine to limit the travel of your seat, possibly completely. I have the right not to have your seat back (or hair) in my face.

s
Really? Where do you find this "right"?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:47 pm

I don't mind as long as they don't change from reclined to straight every 10 minutes. If the person in front of me reclines then I have no choice but to recline mine as well since their seat is almost in my face otherwise.

I would HATE it if someone behind me asked me to unrecline my seat... tough luck but just recline yours as well and quit yet b!tching already, it isn't your personal couch..although I try to be accomdating and usually don't recline unless the person in front of me has done the same and I have no choice.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by swixo
It may be your right to push the recline button and slide back. It is mine to limit the travel of your seat, possibly completely. I have the right not to have your seat back (or hair) in my face.
If somebody's hair was in your face then;
  1. The seat was not functioning properly, or
  2. Big Hair is back!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Baze
+1

I am 6'2" with 34" inseam and my knees are jammed into the seat in front of me. E+ is not much better. E- your seat is not going to be able to recline and E+, depending on the plane it may or may not be able to because of my knees. What I hate are the people who slam their seat back and when it does not go anywhere bounce their back against it trying to get it to go back. I politely say my knees are there. Usually they say sorry but a few get mad and tell me to move my knees, I just say where? To these I always make a point of wiggling my knees every few seconds which makes them uncomfortable. If they were nice I make a point of not intruding as much as I can. But hey I can't make my legs shorter.
+1
I'm 6'3" and have the same issue. I don't mind them reclining the seat SLOWLY, but that sudden jam-back can wreck a guys knee caps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.