FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Appropriate to recline seat in Economy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1057415-appropriate-recline-seat-economy.html)

jzrandom Feb 28, 2010 8:52 am

Appropriate to recline seat in Economy?

Does anyone do this? I sat in E- today SFO->SEA row 20A and wanted to take a nap, and looked around but didn't see anyone else recline, so I didn't do it. Is it appropriate to recline ur E- seat on short haul flights?

LHCVG Feb 28, 2010 9:11 am

I usually like the seat reclined, so when I sit down, I recline it, and then if someone were to say anything, I would gladly raise it. I realize that because no one has ever mentioned it to me doesn't mean I wasn't making them uncomfortable behind me, but I figure that if my reclining impinges on their room and they don't say anything then I can't help that. I guess alternatively I could ask beforehand. :p

bankops Feb 28, 2010 9:37 am

If you are airborne, then fine. That is why the seat reclines. If you are seated in front of me (6'3") you will find that your seat no longer reclines anyway :)

I never recline my seat on any flight less than 4 hours. Simple personal reason though....usually I am asleep before takeoff and/or asleep for landing. This means that I would have to be woken up by the FA's.

karenkay Feb 28, 2010 9:59 am

of course.

AirMiles2001 Feb 28, 2010 10:01 am

Recline

I paid for that seat and it includes recline, I use it 90% of the time. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue in United Economy Plus. I have been asked a few times to not recline and I will give up 50% of it if they ask nice. At meal times it is appropriate to move it up.

gregas Feb 28, 2010 10:19 am

It's a seat feature...but it sucks in E-

When I am in E-, I really dislike when people fully recline, mostly because I can not open my laptop more than halfway! I really think that if the seat pitch is going to be that tight, seat recline should be limited.

However, as much as it bums me out, I recognize the right of the person in front of me to use their seat to its fullest so I do not begrudge them the right to recline.

Personally, I either don't recline or recline very little when in economy seats. With a lumbar pillow, I find it more comfortable to not be recline. Strange but true (for me). However, if I feel like reclining, I will.

UALUNOK Feb 28, 2010 10:35 am

ALWAYS okay.

If the seat reclines, it's your prerogative to use it. It is incumbent upon the person aft to work with the space provided.

I had a woman last week try to keep me from reclining at all in transcon C.

I'm training for an event, so I got up early to run 15 miles before the flight.

Recline is a feature. You paid for your ticket. Use the feature at will.

When the person in front of me reclines, and I can't open my laptop all the way, I don't open my laptop all the way. Period.

lhrsfo Feb 28, 2010 10:35 am

I realize that the OP talked about short haul flights, but for long haul clearly it's acceptable to recline, especially overnight.

clublounger Feb 28, 2010 10:41 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 13481629)
I realize that the OP talked about short haul flights, but for long haul clearly it's acceptable to recline, especially overnight.

It's ALWAYS acceptable to recline, except while landing and taking off. If someone hassles you about it, or if their legs are in the way, involve the flight attendant.

Aloha

Baze Feb 28, 2010 10:44 am

Originally Posted by bankops (Post 13481345)
If you are airborne, then fine. That is why the seat reclines. If you are seated in front of me (6'3") you will find that your seat no longer reclines anyway :)

+1

I am 6'2" with 34" inseam and my knees are jammed into the seat in front of me. E+ is not much better. E- your seat is not going to be able to recline and E+, depending on the plane it may or may not be able to because of my knees. What I hate are the people who slam their seat back and when it does not go anywhere bounce their back against it trying to get it to go back. I politely say my knees are there. Usually they say sorry but a few get mad and tell me to move my knees, I just say where? To these I always make a point of wiggling my knees every few seconds which makes them uncomfortable. If they were nice I make a point of not intruding as much as I can. But hey I can't make my legs shorter.

schley Feb 28, 2010 11:11 am

I have never been asked not to recline, and I have never asked anyone to not recline. I say it is everyone's right and those that feel this somehow suggest bad manners or selfishness are fishing pretty hard.

swixo Feb 28, 2010 11:17 am

Originally Posted by schley (Post 13481790)
I have never been asked not to recline, and I have never asked anyone to not recline. I say it is everyone's right and those that feel this somehow suggest bad manners or selfishness are fishing pretty hard.

You can always pretend there is no one behind you, and that reclining wont bother anyone - but that's not always the case.

It may be your right to push the recline button and slide back. It is mine to limit the travel of your seat, possibly completely. I have the right not to have your seat back (or hair) in my face.

s

1KAndrew Feb 28, 2010 11:19 am

I once had a man on an eastbound overnight trans-Atlantic in E+ get up and come ask me not to recline. Maybe this is bad of me - but I just laughed at him and told him he couldnt possible expect me on an overnight flight not to recline my seat - and that if he didnt like it he should ask the flight attendant for another seat.

cinaedross Feb 28, 2010 11:32 am

You paid for the seat, just recline it.
If someone asks, you can make a choice either to be curteous and move it up a bit or just leave it there. I've tried to work on my laptop many times in E- with the seat reclined in front of me, its just part of what you have to endure flying in E-.

zrs70 Feb 28, 2010 11:52 am

Let's be honest. Does reclining the seat really help us to sleep or rest? Or is it the psychology of retaining the freedom to do something?