Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Mileage run to China to stiock up on wine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage run to China to stiock up on wine?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Another who has tasted Chinese wine, and while some Great Wall is ok at the end of the night, I'll pay import prices so I don't have to drink it.

At the same time, China is fascinating to visit, so I don't need an excuse like wine to go there...
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A year ago, one of the French chain hotels (perhaps Novotel) in China was using a smaller and supposedly decent Chinese winery for its house wine. It was better than the other Chinese wines I've tried, but I would never carry it back to the US, even if it were free.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not a red wine drinker (it gives me migraines), but I've had some very nice white wines in China. As for counterfeit liquor, eating in first class restaurants and purchasing from state stores ensures that you'll get the real thing. Ah, maotai!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:18 pm

While wandering through Shandong once upon a time, I stumbled into the Nava Valley wine country.

Red wine wasn't bad, and quite a beautiful area, complete with faux chateaux on the hilltops. I guess they decided to ripoff the American name AND French architecture.

Worth a visit if in the neighborhood, but not worth it for an MR. Snake wine on the other hand...
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:52 am

The Chinese wine I've been served there was awful so...no.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:03 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Obviously the OP is taking the piss (no pun intended)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.