Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your Glasses & Cups

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerryFF
I realize this is slightly off subject, but sometimes I wonder about bed covers, not the sheets, which I know are changed, but the blankets and bedspreads.
Typically the items that typically touch your skin are changed daily, eg sheets, towels, wash cloths etc. The other stuff is washed or dry cleaned on a seasonal basis I was told by a local GM or two. The horror tales of filthy cups and glasses pop up every few months in the press or almost hourly on Traveladvisor. I really dont worry about it.

MisterNice
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I had a lazy housekeeper at the Ritz Carlton in Maui a couple of years ago. We were in an OF suite, which is supplied with extra drinking glasses. I take liquid vitamins, which are an orange color. We came back from breakfast one morning and I noticed that the glass next to the bathroom sink that I used to take my vitimins had been wiped out, but not changed or cleaned. I also found one of my drinking glasses in the livingroom with my lipstick still smudged on it.

She happened to be cleaning another suite when we got back, so I brought the glasses to her and asked her to get us some clean ones. She turned bright red and was back with clean glasses very shortly. It didn't happen again for the rest of our stay. After that I started checking to see if the rest of the room was thoroughly cleaned. I think she knew by the tone of my voice that it had better not happen again.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I sterilize the glass with a mini of Jack Daniels.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by JerryFF
I realize this is slightly off subject, but sometimes I wonder about bed covers, not the sheets, which I know are changed, but the blankets and bedspreads.
That's why most hotels had changed their bed covers/blankets to all white as it is easy to see where is the dirt.

All Hilton family hotels and Starwood properties are all white. Holiday Inn still using dark flowerish bed covers.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
That's why most hotels had changed their bed covers/blankets to all white as it is easy to see where is the dirt.
and switching to duvet covers that are replaced/laundered after each guest.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jim Davis Sr
This is a pet pieve of mine I thought I'd share. Glasses & Coffee cups in hotel rooms.

A lot of hotels do this. It's not limited to only one hotel chain.

I'm on my last night at the Holiday Inn Select, Memphis Airport. I enjoy a few cups of coffee in the morning. Most of the coffee makers are scummy looking to me, so I pack my own instant, creamers, and sweetners. I only use the coffee maker to heat the water without the basket or lid. Anyhoo, hese's my issue.

I washed a coffee cup and had my coffee. When I returned from work that evening there were clean cups by the coffee maker. (Or were they clean?) I had placed a scratch on the bottom of the cup and left it on the bathroom sink. When I looked, the same cup was there the next day. It's obvious, the cup was washed in the bathroom sink, and with what? Probably the glass cleaner they used to clean the mirror? And who used it before me on the day before I checked in? When I first removed the sanitary cover, I placed a small pen mark on the inside rim and threw it in the garbage with the old tissues, and bathroom waste. But the next day, that cover was back on the cup.

Just an FYI, if you like coffee or drinks in your room, bring your own paper cups or styrofoam coffee cups.

Yes, I've complained many times. I get the standard "Sorry bout that, we will look into it"
How do you function, as an OCD FFer? Not that I blame you, I don't trust 'em either...although setting traps and playing gotcha is a bit much.

I always boil my cutlery when I stay in a place with a kitchen, and I use hand sanitizer on the remote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Dateline or someone did a show on this. Your housekeeper doesn't work for the food and beverage department. I'd really advocate just going to the lobby to get coffee. Otherwise, always expect to wash your cup. Perhaps you could keep a small container of dish liquid in your freedom baggie and keep some Starbucks instant stuff with you.

For me, the only thing I eat in my room is room service.

and I use hand sanitizer on the remote
Your better bet is not touching your mucous membranes with your hands. The remote might have a lot of bacteria, but so does everything else you touch. Sanitizing it and not each and every surface you touch won't do a lot.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:57 am

Even at home, I use sanitizer before touching the remote. I do not shake hands with people, I donīt dare to sit down in a bus. Best avoided at all. Fear of all things infectious has led me not to kiss my wife or kid. Let alone more intimate encounters.

By next year, I will most likely seal all doors and windows from outside world and start living in my own little place and I will declare independency from state as I will be totally isolated.

By 2011, I will most likely end up in a mental institution against my own will.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:37 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
Even at home, I use sanitizer before touching the remote. I do not shake hands with people, I donīt dare to sit down in a bus. Best avoided at all. Fear of all things infectious has led me not to kiss my wife or kid. Let alone more intimate encounters.

By next year, I will most likely seal all doors and windows from outside world and start living in my own little place and I will declare independency from state as I will be totally isolated.

By 2011, I will most likely end up in a mental institution against my own will.
Howard Hughes, I see you've risen from the dead.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO / DL / UA / Priority Club / Gold Crown - Platinum - HHonors - Diomond - Hertz Presidents Club.
Just a follow-up to this incident.

I received an e-mail from Customer Services with an apoligy, and they gave me 2500 Priority points.

Personally, I'd rather have clean cups than the points, but since I started to carry my own coffee cup, I suppose the points are a plus.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: Intercontinental Ambassador, Star Alliance (Air NZ), Skyteam (Korean Air)
At the Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai recently I asked for some extra glasses to be sent up ... all were filthy ... hadn't realised that I needed to specify that I wanted CLEAN glasses ... hmmm.

Other than that, and the insanely cold bathroom (below freezing outside, marble floors, no heat lamps and no double-glazing), I liked the place a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.