Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

good movies about airlines/airport ops/ air travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

good movies about airlines/airport ops/ air travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by aresef
I read online somewhere that they screened it in SF, NYC and Philadelphia, I think. Why they did Philly (since it's not NH territory, though it is US), I don't know.
If one is a member of ANA mileage club with US address, you receive email about it.

Also, they were posted in Mitsuwa (largest japanese chain supermarket in US). If I remember correct, the movie was shown in Chicago as well, but it was in the suburb near Mitsuwa where it is located, it is also where most Japanese live.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by adelauro
"Boeing Boeing", there are several movie versions based on a British play. I've only seen the American version starring Tony Curtis and Jerry Lewis. The movie itself is a slightly above average take on the 60's sex comedy, although Lewis is good, breaking away from his usual hapless klutz roles.

Broadly speaking, the Curtis character, an American journalist based in Paris, is engaged to three "stewardesses", one is working for LH, one for AF and one for British United. Basically he has their schedules worked out to the minute, so that none of them ever cross paths with each other in his Paris apartment.
Saw the modernized Dutch version of "Boeing Boeing" on stage. Pretty funny. The location was Amsterdam where "Bernhard" is engaged to three stewardesses, one from AA, AZ, and LH, respectively.
The characters were stereotypically American, Italian, and German.
Was fun ^

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 1, 2010 at 4:26 pm
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA
passenger 57! can't beat the 80's cheese
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG
Die Hard 2 had a scene set in an airport, with a massive crash of a 747 as well (didn't they blow up a real one?).

And then there's Final Destination which also had an airport and airplane explosion scene...
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by BelfastFlyer
passenger 57! can't beat the 80's cheese
But what was Passenger 1-56 like? (I'm here all week! Try the veal!)

Anyway, for cheese (read:crap) value, you can't beat the made-for-tv films. such as Frequent Flyer, Final Decent, Mercy Mission: The Rescue of Flight 771, Nowhere to Land, Panic in the Skies, Murder on Flight 502 and Airspeed. IMDB recommends a motion picture called 'Ground Control' as being similar to one of the previously mentioned turkeys, but I'm not familiar with it. However, given the first user comment it appears to be a doozy.

Also, didn't 'Speed' spend some time at the airport?

Originally Posted by Shinigami
Die Hard 2 had a scene set in an airport,
EVERY scene in 'Die Hard 2' was set at Denver Stapleton Airport pretending to be Washington Dulles.

Originally Posted by gglave
I would second (third?) others and recommend "Airport"
Fun Fact: Whenever an airport is closed because an aircraft gets stuck in the snow, the people I work with call it a 'Patroni' because of that film ("They don't call them 'emergencies' anymore, they call 'em 'Patronis'!").
Originally Posted by gglave
In terms of cheese-ball action, I also like "Executive Decision."

(Poor old Oceanic...)
Stock footage of 'Oceanic' appears in about half of the made-for-tv stuff I mentioned in this article.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:54 am
formerly mrshyt

Programs: IB+ Gold, HH Gold
I watched a Russian disaster movie yesterday, rainy Saturday afternoon, full of inaccuracies and stuff that would never, ever happen

It's called Flight Crew check it out!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by mrshyt
I watched a Russian disaster movie yesterday, rainy Saturday afternoon, full of inaccuracies and stuff that would never, ever happen

It's called Flight Crew check it out!
Bumping an 8 year-old thread is not welcome here on FT.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:30 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Bumping an 8 year-old thread is not welcome here on FT.
Generally, that is the case, but in a discussion about movies dealing with airports and airplanes, those topics can continue to be of interest, so we'll let this one stay open.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
In that case, and very tangentially, I saw ‘Get Out’ the other night. Great movie and some of the best scenes involved the main character’s friend, who worked for the TSA. The script subtly and hilariously mocked the TSA at every opportunity.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:59 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Sully - the film about the US Airways A320 that ditched in the Hudson, is reportedly very accurate in depicting the flying part of the story and the air crew's behavior during and after, right down to the appearance of the QRH - the quick reference handbook - used during the descent.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Mar 26, 2018 at 8:07 am
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
What about flight with Denzel Washington

I don’t know about the accuracy but I enjoyed the movie.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Sully - the film about the US Airways A320 that ditched in the Hudson, is reportedly very accurate in depicting the flying part of the story and the air crew's behavior during and after, right down to the appearance of the QRH - the quick reference handbook - used during the descent.
...and unfortunately very inaccurate in its depiction of the NTSB "witch-hunt" tribunal.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I remember seeing "The High and the Mighty "many many years ago. The theme song became a classic as did the fear of being past the "point of no return." It was a classic.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Not a movie per se, but there's a funny BBC mockumentary series called "Come Fly with Me" made by the same team that did "Little Britain"

It's a parody of BBC's "Airport" documentary series.

Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
In that case, and very tangentially, I saw ‘Get Out’ the other night. Great movie and some of the best scenes involved the main character’s friend, who worked for the TSA. The script subtly and hilariously mocked the TSA at every opportunity.
That's how you read it? The TSA guy was maybe the smartest character in the movie.

A week after the movie was released, Jordan Peele tweeted that he'd never gotten through airport security so fast in his life. I thought that was pretty amusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.