Reload this Page >

How often do you miss flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often do you miss flights?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
The last flight I missed was in 1999 from BKK- Phnom Penh because the counters were not identified properly.

I never missed a flight on AA other than a misconnect due to AA
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Eurostar CB
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I always try to cut it very fine and as a result have missed 2 flights out of JFK due to be stuck in traffic. That said I have left midtown Manhattan at 5pm and gotten on plane to LHR from JFK at 6pm. I figure the countless hours i've saved cutting it fine make up for the very few times I've missed
I managed to get from upper west side (w 137th st) to JFK for a 5p flight at 4.45p... after leaving at 3p

that dude really pulled out the stops. and for $55 too.

getting to the first/biz checkin desk, ten minutes before my flight to EZE meant that i just got bumped to the later flight, no problems.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I always try to cut it very fine and as a result have missed 2 flights out of JFK due to be stuck in traffic. That said I have left midtown Manhattan at 5pm and gotten on plane to LHR from JFK at 6pm. I figure the countless hours i've saved cutting it fine make up for the very few times I've missed
I've always made my JFK flights, although I've been close to missing a few. I've missed 2 flights -- both out of ORD . IMHO, NYC taxi drivers are just better than Chicago ones or I underestimate the Chicago traffic .
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:32 pm

Programs: QFF
Never missed a flight. Missed one connection, but that was Int-Dom at SYD...
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:22 pm

Yeah, I used to miss my share of flights, but since making EXP, I work hard not to. I'm usually either already upgraded, or in good position for an upgrade, so I don't care to give that seat up to have to fly standby (almost always in coach) on a later flight.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1.8MM
Never, ever...

Never missed a flight. Usually get to the airport 2 to 3 hours ahead of time just because I hate to be late.

However, I do have a knee replacement (hunk of titanium...) so I usually need all the extra time to go through security.

Don't get me started about metal detectors and such...
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Eurostar CB
Originally Posted by millions
Yeah, I used to miss my share of flights, but since making EXP, I work hard not to. I'm usually either already upgraded, or in good position for an upgrade, so I don't care to give that seat up to have to fly standby (almost always in coach) on a later flight.
now *this* is exactly what i have been thinking... missing upgrades, seat assignments is beginning to really suck.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:11 pm

missed twice.
Both time, either not online checked in or need to check in bags.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I used to miss flights fairly frequently. Sometimes the CTA and my estimates of what time to leave do not agree, and I am very good at convincing myself that I don't *really* need to leave my house at 5AM for a 6AM flight. (I do.)

But despite that, I have only not been upgraded on a missed flight once. AA is very nice to me. (I am probably not the first person to ever miss a very early morning flight.)

(As an aside, I decided to buy myself an AC membership in an attempt to convince myself to get to the airport earlier. It has worked, I have not missed a flight since then. Nothing like a cup of coffee and Wifi to motivate me, I guess...)
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MM983
0%

I have only missed flights due to late arrival on another flight. But, even this is rare, as I don't normally book tight connections.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

0%

However I almost missed a LGA-MIA flight a couple years ago after I forgot my passport (INTL travel the next day) and had to go out of security, back to my apartment in NYC, and return to the airport. Did it all in about an hour. It was a miracle.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
In all of my time I have missed one flight. JFK to LAS for work. Had to take a flight that night to LAX, overnight, and then take early AM flight to LAS. Accouting was not very happy about the $600 difference/change fee. Got the evil eye for a few days.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
I've never missed a flight due to my own error. I have intentionally missed a couple of flights on occasion, and once missed a flight due to a car accident (which I was not involved in, but which I was close enough behind to see and felt that leaving before the police arrived would be unethical.)

I did once book a flight LGW-CDG instead of LBA-CDG accidentally (departure time was actually the same) and I did not realize until I arrived at LBA and tried to check in. However, thankfully, they were able to get the LGW checkin desk on the phone and, since the LGW flight was oversold, LGW checked me in and somehow bumped me to the LBA flight! Quite possibly, the most incredible customer service I've ever experienced, and with an airline with whom I had no status at the time.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
I was like that in the past which is why I avoided the last flight of the day. I've improved a lot though - now, I almost miss them.
One of my fun missed flights was in 2006 and I was headed to Seattle. I was in the DFW admirals club enjoying cheese and watching the world cup. LOL. Oh well, got to spend a night in DFW and continued my journey the next day - this time, I made sure my flight was after the match.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 8:36 am

Programs: EXP on AA, Plat Premier Marriott and CK on AA
Curious the % of men and women who have missed flights. Don't mean to be sexist but I would gamble it's more men than women who miss flights.
Never missed 1 in my life and I'm Ex Plat or Plat on 2 different airlines for many years. (yes, I'm a woman) !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.