Reload this Page >

The emptiest flight you've ever been on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The emptiest flight you've ever been on

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:13 am

on a Northwest flight Detroit-Frankfurt almost the entire back section of Economy Class (on Airbus A330-300) was almost empty. 10 pax, not more.
This was a transatlantic flight, so Northwest lost a lot of money there.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Platinum
empty flight

About 10 years ago, USAir announced a FA strike effective midnight on some date.

My wife and I were flying home from Munich the next morning. Since we were on vacation and these were before the always-on, always-connected cell phone days, I didn't even know about it until we got to the airport.

Turns out the plane had come in the previous night, the strike began, but international returning flights were still in operation for the extra 12-18 hours or so.

Nearly everyone else had rebooked, though, so we had a wide body jet with about 50 people on board. I was USAir gold in those days, so we both got upgrades. We were the only 2 in first.

FA crew was pretty nice, too, even though they were going home to a strike.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Originally Posted by hobanma
I was the only passenger on a late night flight from Dallas to Indianapolis on a 727 (early 80's). The FAs pretty much ignored me.

Mark
Similar time frame, my wife (the beloved Harpo) and I were the only passengers on a TWA 727. Not only did the two FAs who were on board decidedly not ignore us, we all had a nice party in the first class cabin because the cabin was stocked for a full complement of PAX. The GA told us we were lucky because our flight had been rescheduled and had left already without us, "so sorry we tried to call you." But TWA needed to shuttle another plane from RDU to STL for maintenance, and knowing we were traveling to a funeral they held that plane a few hours just for us. Or so they said. Hard to imagine such thoughtfulness today (not to mention the wastefulness of shuttling an empty plane halfway across the country just for maintenance and to move a few FAs).
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:43 am

The Emptiest Flight I've Ever Been On

The emptiest flight I've ever been on was in the early 1990s, flying from LAX to ORD. I think there were six passengers on the flight, and it was on a UA 747-400. I'm not sure why they didn't cancel the flight; I think they had to get the equipment to ORD for the next day.

In those days, I would frequently make a round trip to and from LAX in a day. I'd leave at 7:00 AM CT and be able to make a late morning - early afternoon presentation or meeting, and then hop on a 5:00 PM or 6:00 PM flight to ORD. Flights were hourly both ways, and if you missed one, no big deal. There was always room on the next one!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA
I was on a UX (Skywest) Dash8-200 from CPR to DEN and was the only passenger. I had to sit in the last row with the FA. I asked the FA if the pilot could do a Full Power Take Off and she relayed the request and the answer came back "yes."
A Full Power Take Off is where the pilot stands on the brakes and runs up the engines to full power before releasing the brakes. I love them as they are exciting for me to feel the acceleration.
However, this is not what the pilot did. CPR has VERY long runways since it was an airbase for bomber training in WWII. The runway is over 10k feet long! This pilot ran down the runway for an eternity then very slowly lifted off with a minimum of rotation (seemingly none). This continued for a bit and then he pitched the plane up into a climb attitude.

That's my story! If there is a pilot out there who can tell me the significance of what the pilot did on this flight I would love to hear it! Or, you can shoot holes in my story if I didn't quite get it right.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Mid-1980s, 4 Pax and 4 FAs

I can't remember the year, possibly 1987, I was flying home on DL from California via DFW. The DFW-IAD segment had exactly four passengers; what was really funny was that the DL computer seated the two F passengers (who weren't related) in 2A and 2B, and the two Y passengers in 18A and 18B (and they were'nt related either). I think I was on a 737-300 that DL had acquired in the merger with Western.

The FAs offered the two guys in coach seating in F, but they declined, choosing to stake out separate rows of 3 and sack out. This was at a time when DL had more than the mininum number of FAs on their flights; after serving me a beer and learning that I was an attorney, the FA then spent the next three hours telling me her life story.

The captain on this flight told me that DL had sold most of the seats on the plane the next morning, and so this flight went as a positioning flight.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: Avis PC Hilton Gold Marriott Gold
Empty flight

In February of 2009 on a Southwest 7 am from BWI to MHT only 10 passengers.

Plane was on the tarmac for two hours waiting to deice. The 9am flight beat us to MHT.

Southwest sent all ten passengers a $100 voucher.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Last month's TG F flight from BKK-FRA.
I was the only one in F on the 747. No idea what was going on behind that curtain ?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM, Global Entry, UA GLD, TSA PRE
Osaka-Shanghai in 2005 on JAL

There were maybe 5 rows full in all of coach, I had about 20 rows and 3 FA's all to myself.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've flown a couple short segments on small planes with <10 other pax.

But the eeriest one I ever flew was about 10-12 years ago - ORD-LHR on Christmas night. I think it was a 767...maybe 30-40 total pax onboard. I still remember buying that ticket using a voucher at a CTO in Schaumburg, IL for about $300 R/T all in.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
about 3-4 years ago i took a flight from Boston to Newark and was the only passenger. THe pilot annouced "welcome your your private jet sir!" LOL

it was on us airways i believe.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:02 pm

STL to EWR. i think almost everyone had thier own "section". may of 2009.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: ex-NW, now DL FO, AA, AC
On an RJ, fewest for including me was 3 on an Embraer 135 on AA last January, DCA-BNA. It was kinda fun when the GA, instead of going through the whole boarding spiel just called the three of us up by name.

On a mainline, I think the fewest was about 20, about three years ago, MEM-SAT on an NW Airbus. 2 of us in FC, the rest in Y.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:06 pm
BSL

In 2000, my DL flight from SFO to SLC was late and I was about 45 minutes late for the last flight from SLC to DEN on UA that I was sure I missed. I decided to head over to the UA counter and found that DEN had been closed much of the day and there were tons of passengers stuck in DEN trying to get to SLC. UA was running a 737 back and forth between SLC and DEN. It would be completely full on the way to SLC and then completely empty on the flight back to DEN.
I jumped on the next flight headed to DEN and had a private 737. I sat in F, did the boarding announcement, had unlimited free drinks and think I even went into the got a cockpit tour. The FA's stationed in the back really never came forward and I enjoyed my own private 737. When I landed in DEN everyone waiting to go to SLC had a pretty curious look on their face when I was the only person to get off the plane.
(Thought about trying to sit in every seat on the plane during the flight, but decided that might be a little too much for the FA's, now kind of regretted that I did not.)
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Some time around 2001, I was on a late evening AS SJC-SEA flight where coach was completely empty, and every pax in F was MVPG or MVP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.