Reload this Page >

The emptiest flight you've ever been on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The emptiest flight you've ever been on

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2009, 4:28 pm

WN OAK-RNO around 2000 when I still was living in the US.
One of the last evening flights up to RNO on a weekday.
Only around 4-5 people on the flight + staff, but they couldn't cancel it since they needed the aircraft in RNO for the following morning.

Everybody had a good time.

--jofegan
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
In the early 1990's my dad and I were going to be traveling on a Midwest Express (as they were called in those days) flight MKE-GRR. We were scheduled for a later flight, but we arrived at the airport much earlier than anticipated. When we talked with the ticketing agent about switching to an earlier flight she said, "I think we can squeeze you on." Much to our surprise we boarded and were the only passengers on the plane besides the FA, pilot and co-pilot. I don't remember the aircraft though - propeller type with 2x2 seating where you would board from a rear door and it had a step in the aisle over the wing.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
In the 1970s, on YEG->YYC, on a late evening flight, my brother, mother, and me had the plane (a main liner, not sure what but likely a Boeing 7xx of some kind) to ourselves. This was after missing an earlier flight, which means that it would have flown empty otherwise. I think the airline was PWA, which became Canadian Airlines later, which was then acquired by AC.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:31 am

Jan 2008, ICN-PVG morning flight on KE(only flight from ICN/NRT that arrives in the morning in PVG I believe). It was a 777 with 4 pax. I was waiting to be called to board as I was in Y. The GAs didn't even bother asking to board by class. When the other 3 pax boarded they started closing the gate. Then I realized that everyone except me had boarded. I had the whole back of the plane by myself. Interesting experience.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I was the only passenger on a late night flight from Dallas to Indianapolis on a 727 (early 80's). The FAs pretty much ignored me.

Mark
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I flew LHR-JFK a few weeks after 9/11. The flight was empty, no more than 20-30 people, IIRC.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:17 pm

If I was the only passenger I would feel like I am in an episode of a Twilight Zone.

Originally Posted by hobanma
I was the only passenger on a late night flight from Dallas to Indianapolis on a 727 (early 80's). The FAs pretty much ignored me.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
On a EWR-FRA flight in F, we were a family of 5 on the upper deck of a 747. It was just the 5 of us out of the 16 seats. It was like a party the entire flight.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
^^ As a teenager, my family was invited to the exclusive use the upper deck of an aer lingus 747 ... we were traveling with a family friend who was a US exec with the airline.

That was back in the day- full bar, funny seats up there, etc!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I was on the first flight out of IAH to MSP on NW following 9/11. Two of us in first and maybe a dozen, tops, in back. For some reason NW was not allowing anyone to board who was connecting in MSP, only those of us whose destination was MSP. I don't remember the aircraft, probably an A319 or 320.

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
My emptiest flight was a Wednesday night SJC-ONT trip on WN in late 2005. There were 4 of us passengers in a 737. We were slightly outnumbered by the 5 standard crew members. On this short, 50 minute flight my personal FA had time to serve me 3 rounds of drinks.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I was one of two passengers on a PHL-BOS evening run on a US 737-400, a few days before Y2K (12/30/1999 I think). US had hourly flights doing that route that night, and most who'd been booked on mine stood by for earlier flights. I didn't get to the airport in time for that, but would have done the same if I had.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:02 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
Whilst I had some pretty empty flights during SARS (I was the only one in F and J) for example, my emptiest flight was Mauritius-Perth-Sydney on Christmas day in 1975 with just 11 pax on a 707. Johannesburg-Mauritius it was standing room only!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:38 am

Way back in the late sixties, I had several puddle-jumper fllights on Mohawk where I was the only passenger.

And in the seventies, I was one of two passengers in coach from San Francisco to Cincinnati.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:26 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
Actually that reminds me of a flight from Port Macquarie to Brisbane, I was only passenger and pilot let me sit in the right seat...about 91/2!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.