Wiki Posts
Search

If you do not TIP you just might get Arrested and be Handcuffed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by PT22064
I absolutely agree. It is not fair to penalize the wait staff for problems not within the server's control (e.g., food is bad, understaffing, table is in a bad location). If a server is intentionally rude or spits in your food, then it would be legitimate to reduce the tip, but in my view, tipping under 15% in any other circumstance amounts to cheating the server and is unethical. Generally, I tip in the neighborhood of 20% and will go as high as 25-30% for exceptional service. (And yes, based on the bill before coupons, discounts, etc.)

I have a number of friends who are cheapskates and are always looking for excuses for leaving a smaller tip. As soon as we arrive in a restaurant, they start complaining about things -- almost all of which are beyond the control of the server. Once, a friend tried to justify leaving a smaller tip because the bathrooms were dirty! This is why I always try to pay the bill when going to eat with a cheap friend. Either I'll offer to treat my friend (and they almost always accept) or I will total the bill, add the tip and then calculate each person's share. I will also make sure that the whole tip stays on the table since some of my friends will try to surreptitiously remove a few dollars if they think that the tip is too high.

Ironically, some of the people who complain the most about "mandatory" tipping get upset when their companies/bosses give them a low bonus for the year. I am tempted to remind them that they should only receive a bonus for exceptional performance -- not for average or sub-par performance!
Your friends sound like d-bags.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by czarina
I will not tip at buffets
Even at those buffets where a waiter comes and provides ice water or a soft drink/beverage, and clears your dishes between courses?

I had a fellow retiree move to Las Vegas and she worked at a waitress at one of the hotel buffets. She counted on those tips as part of her income. She had to clear dishes off the tables and provide beverages. You wouldn't give her anything? I remember her complaining about groups of foreign tourists that would come in an occupy large tables, and she would work her tail off with beverages and clearing dishes, and they would not leave one cent behind.

I was at the Hyatt in Santa Clara last week and had the $18 breakfast buffet. I had two different waiters clear my dishes, as well as provide juice and water (and refills). You wouldn't give them anything, either?

I tip at buffets. Always have.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:17 pm

I thought we were all tired of tipping threads. Here, let me summarize a few often expressed thoughts:

1) Europeans, Aussies, and most Asians don't like tipping.
2) They deride Americans and feel superior because they don't tip.
3) They particularly don't like it if Americans try to tip in their countries.
4) Most Americans don't think twice about it, as they were raised in a tipping environment.
5) Nevertheless, most Americans resent the mandatory tip for large parties or on room service bills, even if they sort of understand it.
6) Most Americans understand that there is a hierarchy in tipping jobs. In the same town, the car hops at Sonic may make a few dollars in tips a day, the waitress at Chili's or Olive Garden might make $50-$75 a night, and a 4-hour shift at a Michelin 3* can yield several hundreds in tips. The maitre d' at a top NY restaurant probably brings home over $100k in tips per year. Don't feel sorry for the car hop. If she's good and wants to stay a waitress, she'll move up in the hierarchy. All this is understood by most Americans.
7) When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Just as you don't want us exporting our culture to your country, don't try to bring yours here. Yours is not better, just different.

8) The restauranteur in this example is MORON!
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by deubster
8) The restauranteur in this example is MORON!
Although he might be able to spell his profession.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mr H
Although he might be able to spell his profession.
Or, since my examples are all American, he may be using the common, accepted, Anglicized version.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Er... The source you quote doesn't say that this is a common or accepted form; neither does it say that it is an American form. Not that Wiktionary is a commonly accepted authority anyway. Perhaps I could suggest that sentences calling people morons merit special checking in future.

When I get caught making a gaffe (it happens to all of us ), a useful word is "touch".

As for whether the proprietor is a moron or not - I suspect we aren't being given the full information to judge.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 1:09 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I've eaten at the Lehigh Pub (well, when it was called Bridgeworks) and can confirm everything about it is terrible.

I went there once within my first couple weeks of college and did not return once after.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 6:39 pm

The question is: Are you legally required to pay a 'mandatory' tip in the US? The few legal cases I have seen suggest the answer to this question is - no.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:22 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I'm amazed that someone wrote in this thread that s/he would merely reduce the tip if s/he knew waiter/waitress spit in her/his food.

Last edited by youreadyfreddie; Nov 22, 2009 at 9:30 pm
Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by PT22064
I absolutely agree. It is not fair to penalize the wait staff for problems not within the server's control (e.g., food is bad, understaffing, table is in a bad location). If a server is intentionally rude or spits in your food,
Pacing the meal properly and setting expectations of timing ARE the server's responsibility; if there's a delay in the kitchen, they may not be able to do something about it, but they had better at least update me on the existence of the delay if they want a 15%+ tip.

My rule is to tip 20% for very good service or better, 15% to 20% for average to good, and 10% to 15% for poor to below-average. Anything bad enough to deserve a < 10% tip is bad enough I've got an obligation to talk to the manager, at least at the end of the meal.

If a waiter is intentionally rude, that's not even an "ask for the manager at the end of the meal and explain why I'm not tipping at least 10%" moment, that's a "I'm finding the manager now, and either getting a new server to handle my table for the rest of the meal moment, or paying and leaving." In the worst case I can think of, that resulted in a comped meal and my coworker and I leaving approximately the comped amount as a tip for our new server.

I've never had a waiter visibly spit in or otherwise do something unsanitary with my food, but were that ever to happen, I'd be complaining to the manager immediately, paying if the meal is not comped, and leaving immediately after. That's not something the manager can possibly make up for.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by RichMSN
You may think it's cheap, but I watch my money and tipped professionals need to earn their tips.
Tipped professionals? That's a contradiction in terms surely?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
The Bethlehem police, being wise men no doubt, are dropping the charges.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by Fredd
The Bethlehem police, being wise men no doubt, are dropping the charges.
I'm still never going anywhere near Bethlehem. I had no reason to want to go before, but stories like this just mean they go on my list of places to avoid at all costs. Law enforcement that lacks this much common sense are fortunately few and far between, but I'd never frequent a locale with these kinds of people and these kinds of cops. If I'm ever driving by I'll just keep going.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
I'm amazed that someone wrote in this thread that s/he would merely reduce the tip if s/he knew waiter/waitress spit in her/his food.
probably on a sliding scale of looginess - slime, colo(u)r, quantity.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Since we've gone pretty much OT...

Originally Posted by tom911
Even at those buffets where a waiter comes and provides ice water or a soft drink/beverage, and clears your dishes between courses?...
I tip at buffets. Always have.
I generally tip 10% at the buffet if a waiter clears, brings drinks, etc. Seems like pretty good middle ground.

Originally Posted by deubster
7) When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
^

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.