Wiki Posts
Search

Mis-pronouncing your Destination

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Red Sox Nation
Mis-pronouncing your Destination

I should be used to this, coming from the Northeast with towns like Leominster, MA (Lemon-stir), and Worcester (Woos-tah, or Wiss-tah for some locals).

Now I'm travelling and the local newscasters are talking about all the Arkansans (Ar-KAN-sans) here in Arkansas (Ark-en-saw).

Evidently, the state name is pronounced that way by law:

The pronunciation of Arkansas was made official by an act of the state legislature in 1881 after a dispute between the two U.S. Senators from Arkansas.
But if that's the case, why in the world wouldn't they call their residents Ark-en-saw-ens, or something?

Don't even get me started on Versailles, IN (Ver-sales).

Are there any other US places that FTers just can't make themselves pronounce like a local?

Or better yet, any Arkensawens care to explain your home state's fascination with not being like Kansas?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by amlothi
Don't even get me started on Versailles, IN (Ver-sales).
There's a Versailles, KY (Ver-sales) too. The locals explained it to me that when the city was founded, the Irish hated the French so mispronounced it on purpose, just to drive them nuts. Not sure if that's true...
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Oh...

proper names that are pronounced counterintuitively
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:24 pm

Programs: Skywards, Velocity Rewards
There's a suburb up the road from me called Reservoir which for some reason the locals insist on pronouncing "Reserv-oar". As an expat Brit I have tried to reeducate them but to no avail.

Have also tried telling them you clean carpet by "hoovering" not "vacuuming", that the large purple shiny things are "aubergines" not "eggplants", and the colour is called "maroon" rather than "maroan" but find I get very short shrift

I've been here nine years now and every now and then I still come up against the "language barrier" despite the fact that the two nations apparently both speak English!
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
My first trip to Australia I pronounced Cairnes CARNS.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
How about Des Plaines, IL. Pronounced exactly like it's spelled, sort of.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
My first trip to Australia I pronounced Cairnes CARNS.
Did you at least remember the correct pronunciation for Brisbane: Brisvegas??

Oh, there's also Launceston (Tasmania) - if you pronounce it "Lawnceston" the locals get quite uppity - it's "Lonceston".
Old Nov 3, 2009, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
There's Versailles, PA also, along with Charleroi (which starts out well, but collapses into Shar-le-roy) and Dubois (Dew-boys) - all of which perplexed my Belgian guests.

I still refuse to pronounce the 'r' in Washington, PA, as my mother, grandmother, mother-in-law, and other western PA native family members do.

(And I still get a chuckle from the FedEx commercial with a young kid trying to ship to "puh-hoe-nicks - you know, the capital of Arizona")
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Red Sox Nation
Originally Posted by 17thousandkm
but find I get very short shrift
I might understand this, if I had any clue what "shrift" is.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by amlothi
I might understand this, if I had any clue what "shrift" is.
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-sho2.htm

I grew up in Paso Robles, CA--full, legal name "El Paso de Robles" (The Pass of [the] Oaks--Oak Pass, I suppose).

I knew of no non-Hispanic people there who didn't pronounce it "PASSuhRUBBles."
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:08 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

Visitors to Scotland must have a terrible time. For starters, there's Edinburgh, which perplexes many (Edin-bruh).

But as for Milngavie, Strathaven, Kirkcudbrught... (Mull-guy, Stray-vun and Kir-coo-bree), not so simple. And that's without even getting a 'ch' in there to mangle.

Still easier than Wales, though. It takes years of practice to get the 'll' sound. Visitors may struggle with Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:39 am

My nearest airport is Norwich (NWI). KLM staff in Amsterdam generally know that it's pronounced "Norrich", but in most other places they will insist on telling me that my bag has been checked to "Nor-witch". Can't really blame them, I guess.

(Oh, and just to confuse the issue, there is another pronunciation, "Nah-rich", which is used (a) in Norfolk dialect and (b) by people making fun of Norfolk dialect)
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:42 am

One of the little pleasures of life is hearing the attempts of the English, in particular, to pronounce Welsh place names.

The alphabet is very different, there are no X, Z, J or K; W and Y are vowels; written pairs of letters like CH, RH, LL, DD, FF all go into one square in crosswords or Scrabble and have specific sounds, so it's understandable.

When I was in college in Swansea in South Wales I remember two particular examples of being asked directions.

One lorry driver asked me how to get to 'Ruddy Deaf-Aid'

I needed a bit of time to work out Rhyd Y Defaid - pronounced 'Reed Er Day-Vide' and meaning ford of the sheep.

The other, which I had to see in writing before being able to help, was an enquiry for 'C. A. Ten'. Written I could see that it was Caio, pronounced Kye-Oh.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by garethmorgan

When I was in college in Swansea in South Wales I remember two particular examples of being asked directions.
I went to Uni at Swansea!!

I thought it very quaint when I was first there how signage everywhere is translated into Welsh.

I eventually found myself with quite a Welsh lilt - an interesting accomplishment for a "Saarf" London girl.

Now that I've been here in Australia nine years my accent and pronunciation has changed again so that I generally pass unnoticed amongst my fellow Aussies, as long as I don't lapse and say something like "traffic warden" when I mean "parking attendant".

Last edited by 17thousandkm; Nov 4, 2009 at 3:58 am Reason: Edit
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:09 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
mr HUGE

SQ some years back in biz Was asked Head sex mr huge ? i heard they ment head set mr hughes? also always love to hear the Balinese call out the Quantas flts in DPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.