Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Complain about a laptop user on descent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complain about a laptop user on descent?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by danville 1K
I recently flew UA SFO-PDX in a exit row window seat. On descent to PDX the gentleman in the middle seat took out his cell phone and started making calls. I was going to ring for the FA, but figured it wouldn't do much good. The offending party was a dead heading UA FA in uniform. He continued to talk from about flight level 50 right up to the gate.
Originally Posted by photo_guy
I was recently seated next to a DL pilot who was deadheading who used his crackberry well after the announcement to cease use. The FA was pretty persistent in getting others to turn them off but this pilot hid the device whenever the FA was looking. He continued for some time and eventually turned it off just as we approached the runway for takeoff. Certainly not setting a good example and makes you wonder if it really has any relation to safety.
Apparently everyone is equal - some are just more equal than others.
Wow. Two uniformed pilots ignoring the rules. I would be more likely to rat them out than a civilian pax. This pilot behavior just reinforces what I have always thought. Electronics are not dangerous.... and these pilots know it. I believe the rule was put into place to scare people because they REALLY want us to be alert and not distracted during takeoff and landing. Open laptops might impede people's ability to evacuate quickly. When devices started turning from big and bulky to hand-held size the policy just remained. Also, the airlines used to make money off of the Airfones. I always believed they didn't want to cut into the $10/minute (or whatever high price it was) they were billing.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this Thread is not specific to DL, I am moving it over to TravelBuzz
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiff
I do. It's way overblown.

If the phone/device is in the far field (> 1m) from the aircraft systems in question, the power radiated by that device in the frequencies of operation by these systems is negligible.

The exception is devices like TVs and radios which operate in frequency ranges close to such systems' frequencies and may re-radiate enough power in the frequency spectra in question.

Still, I do not encourage others to not follow crew member instructions and I turn off my electronic devices when asked to.
I am sure individual devices will not impact avionics at all..but what about 150 of them all transmitting at once?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:17 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
You should have let the FA know and let him/her deal with it. An obvious violation of FAA rules. There is no work that can't wait.
yup, yup and yup (and especially the yup on work)

Originally Posted by fti
The guy seated next to me on a recent flight never turned off his blackberry after the door was closed. On the taxiway he pulled it out and started using it, I assume to check EMail or something. I made a comment and was just about ready to to press the FA call button when he turned it off. Some people just feel the rules don't apply to them. Whether we like it or not, when we make the decision to fly a commercial airline, we are agreeing to accept the rules that are in place.
good on you ^ as i have done just that-pushed the call button (and let's just put it this way, the f/a asked the pax to have a private talk with them in the galley where upon returning to his seat, the pax had morphed into mr. sheep)
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by pinworm
I am sure individual devices will not impact avionics at all..but what about 150 of them all transmitting at once?
150 * negligible is very probably still negligible.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by pinworm
That's why a pilot should set an example. He's saying you wait but I won't. If they want to allot a certain number of those that can use devices during takeoff or landing then those chosen should be paying customers ... not that I am suggesting an allotment.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
On 4 TG sectors this month I discovered that they don't seem to care about people using laptops during takeoff/landing. BKK-SIN yesterday there was a guy watching videos on his Thinkpad during takeoff and landing, all that the crew asked him to do was put his tray table up.

The crew on each sector didn't seem particularly safety vigilant compared to other airlines.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:58 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
All the rationalization by people who should know better but consider their own wants more important than anything else is beside the real point. I don't give a rat's posterior about radiation or interferance. I DO care about that laptop becoming a projectile in the event of wake turbulence during climbout or a hard landing. Put 'em away during those critical periods for the sake of everybody around you. Nobody really cares about the rest.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by photo_guy
He continued for some time and eventually turned it off just as we approached the runway for takeoff.
An FA explained to me that cell phone use is fine once the aircraft touches the ground upon landing.

They also explained that before takeoff, the announcement is made prematurely, to give people an extra minute.

Cell phones wouldn't be allowed after landing but before the gate if they could do harm, so they can't do harm before takeoff on the runway/taxiway either.

I think the pilot was just using common airplane employee knowledge.

He should have followed the rules though.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I DO care about that laptop becoming a projectile in the event of wake turbulence during climbout or a hard landing. Put 'em away during those critical periods for the sake of everybody around you. Nobody really cares about the rest.

My feelings exactly. Guess I was brought up to be a rules follower and I follow the rules.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I would bet at least a few phones are left on during every flight (accidentally or otherwise.) As has already been mentioned, if it were actually a potential hazard phones wouldn't be allowed in the cabin. That said, I really hope US carriers don't allow people to use them during flight.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:40 pm

I'm one of those people who make you turn your various devices off on the aircraft...

Cell/mobile phones can interfere with systems onboard an aircraft, whether you believe it or not. Most likely it will be an annoying disruption in the headset the pilots use for the radio comms. On a flight I did a couple of years ago, the pilots lost radio comms with ATC for 5 seconds due to interference from phones. It wasn't a long time, but it could have been crucial.

A few years back, a well known scientist magasine wrote a very good article about cell/mobile phones and aircraft. I can't find the article on the web, but the main issue in the article was that up at altitude (35000ft etc), the phone won't be able to "latch on" to a satelite for long enough to get reception. The phone will therefore send out stronger and stronger signals to try to get reception. If you have 150 phones trying this, one can just imagine the interference on the radio comms onboard.

There are some who will question about airlines who allows use of phones onboard, and the answer to that is that they will have the "Onair" (or similar) system onboard. This is like a mini-satelite in the ceiling of the aircraft, allowing the phone to send very weak signals to enable it to receive reception.

Please bear in mind that not enough research has been done into the use of transmitting devices in-flight. Would you want to be on the flight it was tested on? Didn't think so.

What I'm trying to say here, is that the rules are there for a reason. Whether you agree with the reason or not, makes no difference at all. Whoever you are, you should adhere to the rules. Also, please bear in mind that the crew on your aircraft do not make the rules. They just have to make sure that passengers adhere to them. Please don't give them a hard time.

Sometimes I wonder how passengers survived in the 70's and 80's... I was busy looking at the crew and how they were working and looking at the view out the window.

Edited to add: If you leave your cell/mobile phone on during the flight, be prepared to have no battery left at the end of it. The stronger the signal the phone sends out, the more it drains the battery.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by glamgirl20
I can't find the article on the web, but the main issue in the article was that up at altitude (35000ft etc), the phone won't be able to "latch on" to a satelite for long enough to get reception.
Cell phones don't talk to satellites! Unless you had one of the old Iridium phones...

Get your facts straight.

If cell phones really did anything to nav systems, then airports with approach paths over highways (such as some approaches at LaGuardia) would have problems with cell phones in all the cars below.

Having said that, I turn my cell phone off. It's the rules, so that passengers are not distracted (and are not holding projectiles) in case things go bad on takeoff and landing.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:48 pm

On a recent flight, I saw a passenger take out their blackberry and start using just after takeoff. Then they put it away and didn't use it again - until we were descending toward the airport. I wasn't sure what to do - if the flight attendants would respond to the call button since they were belted into their seats. Next time I'll try the call button.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by fti
The guy seated next to me on a recent flight never turned off his blackberry after the door was closed. On the taxiway he pulled it out and started using it, I assume to check EMail or something.
The girl next to me on a flight to Chicago did this too. All I said was "I'm surprised you can get reception from AT&T up here," and the next thing I know we're talking iPhone, then personal stuff, and one thing leads to another, and by the end of the night we're having drinks and well, use your imagination.

For a single guy, it sometimes pays to not complain and just go along.

She was very hot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.